Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times

Advertisements

They definitely wouldn't pull it away, nor would they repair the fence - they would be more likely to hope for the best and apologize for the charred fence later - but there's a new wrinkle in that they may have bought a new grill and this may be going unused. I'm still going to ask them about it, though. Really nice people but very odd. Thanks!

The guy who lives there let his backyard grow into a jungle of poison ivy and copperhead sanctuary - he told me that he couldn't believe the guy who sold them that house never maintained the backyard.

They have lived there for around 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

The guy who lives there let his backyard grow into a jungle of poison ivy and copperhead sanctuary - he told me that he couldn't believe the guy who sold them that house never maintained the backyard.
On the bright side, if they are using the older grill in the jungle, it's only a matter of time before an errant viper attacks him rendering the whole thing moot. (Kidding, but not nearly as funny as the kitten comments. I LOL'd on those.)

Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
You're probably right ! :-O

Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
"The New York City Fire Department recommends using a charcoal grill at least 10 feet away from a building. In fact, it declares barbecuing is illegal ..."
BBQ is a noun, not a verb.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
BBQ is a noun, not a verb.
Grammar rules are different in New York.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Grammar rules are different in New York.

They should be thankful they are even allowed to SAY the word BarBQue up there, much less using it correctly.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They should be thankful they are even allowed to SAY the word BarBQue up there, much less using it correctly.
The BBQ chicken done at churches and fire departments in northern NY is as good or better than the best brisket that I've had down here. Obviously personal opinion, but I'll take the several-day-marinated chicken over almost anything else available at the BBQ joints down here.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
According to Merriam-Webster, Barbecue (with a "c") is a transitive verb:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbecue:

: to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (as hot coals)
: to cook in a highly seasoned vinegar sauce

Examples of barbecue in a sentence
We barbecued chicken and ribs.
We barbecue often during the summer.

I don't think it's the New Yorkers who are using the word wrong...

Old 07-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
The BBQ chicken done at churches and fire departments in northern NY is as good or better than the best brisket that I've had down here. Obviously personal opinion, but I'll take the several-day-marinated chicken over almost anything else available at the BBQ joints down here.
Just to be clear, this is all friendly, and typed with a passionate smile on my face.

But I think the err in your ways is that Brisket is a Texas thing. We do whole hog (or butts) here, in vinegar sauce. If it's beef, it's not local. If it's got thick sauce, it's not local.

I will grant you that people down here tend to destroy a chicken, I don't know what's up with that, but yuck.

My Girlfriend (from upstate NY) turned me onto Chicken Speidies, and if I take a moment to get off my high horse, it's as good as any grilled chicken I've ever had. We were up there for a week last year around the 4th, and I think it was served at almost every meal. I never got tired. (If you haven't been to Roma's in Cary, you may want to. They do the flat, bready attrocity known as "pizza" and also do a wonderful job with Spiedies.)

All jokes aside, I hear you, but none of that stuff (as far as I'm concerned) is BBQ.

Luckily, arguing about all of this will hopefully not set the OP's house on fire.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

I don't think it's the New Yorkers who are using the word wrong...
Next you'll have Joe Pesci telling me how to cook my grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary