Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 AM

75 posts, read 71,092 times

Advertisements

When I was five years old, 47 years ago, I was in a horrible accident. I have a very large permanent scar and a settlement was supposed to be paid to me when I turned 16 to help with further medical treatment. My parents forgot about it and there is no record of anything. I remembered hearing about it growing up and recently asked my father about it. I was told that some information might be in my medical records but the hospital isn't sure the records still exist as the hospital closed and another took over the records. They are looking for them but I was told it doesn't look good.

Does anyone have any idea on how to go about finding this information out? I know it is from a long time ago and don't have much hope on finding anything but thought I would post here in hopes someone might be able to help.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Do you know the insurance company? The lawyers involved? That would be your best resources.

Was it in the newspapers? You might be able to get information from an article.

Court records for where the case was settled?

Not likely that the hospital kept records this long, I'm afraid.

You might also try the various lost money sites.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately, I have nothing. I was 5 and any records we had were thrown away by my mother during my parent's divorce. Also, not sure that she didn't get the money and not tell me about it.

Is there an insurance databank that would have the information?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
The insurance company will not have any records. The statute ran out three years after you turned 21. If the money was not collected you are probably out of luck. The way things work nowadays the money would have been paid at the time of the settlement and should have been in a bank. My guess is your parents spent the money.

The court in the jurisdiction where this happened may have some info. Settlement on behalf of a minor has to be approved by surrogates court. This may not have been the case 47 years ago but it's your best shot.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
I would definitely look in your state's lost money website. If any insurance company owed you money that wasn't paid, it would have been turned over to the state's unclaimed money bank. Assuming that you were in North Carolina at the time, look here:

https://www.nctreasurer.com/Claim-Yo...es/Search.aspx

If you were in another state, go to: MissingMoney.com Unclaimed Property FREE SEARCH - Officially endorsed By The States, Provinces and Naupa

These sites are legitimate. I have used them and found money for many family members that were being held from former employers, universities, insurance, etc. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Thank you all for your posts. Unfortunately, if my mother did spend the money she would never tell me. I called the NC insurance commission and was told to start with medical records as there might be insurance info there. I was also told the money will always be waiting for me but it does make sense that my parents had access to the money somehow and if so, it is long gone. (My mother is a piece of work.)

Again, many thanks and if anyone else has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
It doesn't make sense to me that a settlement would wait until you were 16. Why not pay out immediately (a settlement is supposed to pay for medical bills/lost wages) OR wait until you are 18 and an adult?

Given what you are saying about your parents, the 16 thing sounds fishy to me.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:57 PM

276 posts, read 648,317 times
Check out the sites that michgc suggested above! We used those websites and found some unclaimed cash for my husband and two of my sisters.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
hire a lawyer that works on contingency. they'll do the research and be able to find out what's transpired. Assuming that you know where you lived when you weere 5, what county/state jurisdiction it fell under, etc.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times
Recovery would probably be banned by the statute of limitations unless the money was escheated to the state unclaimed money account.

Try the unclaimed money lookups in the states involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary