Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 03:59 PM

230 posts, read 254,469 times

Advertisements

I recently received a bill for the property tax on one of my vehicles and wanted to advise people to pay attention to what they are charging you. I'm sure most people don't really think about it, but I thought mine was a little high for a vehicle that I appealed last year due to high mileage. I couldn't find my 2015 bill, but I did find the bill from 2014. My vehicle's appraised value had increased since 2014. I found my old emails to the revenue agent and realized that he did decrease the value on the bill from 2015, but it was still higher than the previous year. He assured me that the value would automatically decrease each year since he adjusted it. That was not the case.

After contacting him again today, I asked to be credited for the amount that I overpaid last year and asked him to correct my current bill. He said he didn't know how that happened and he lowered the appraised value again for 2016, but it is still higher than my 2014 value! This was through an email, so he could see the old emails and documentation we exchanged last year. It's not much higher, but still...2 years later and my POS is still increasing in value! If only I could sell it for the amount they say it's worth. I don't want to pay the county any more than I have to and I'm sure you don't either if you care where your money goes. Makes me wonder how our state has so much of a surplus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,357,111 times
Wake county vehicle values are ridiculous. Someone locally should sponsor a law that requires the county to use Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds or whatever.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,588,883 times
This was a complete shock after registering an 8 year old mini van with 230,000+ miles for over $15,000.00 - if I could sell the car for that amount, I would in a heartbeat.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 PM

22,647 posts, read 36,619,551 times
Forget the emails just get your paperwork in order and send in the formal appeal. I have the same problem every year, we have a vehicle with very high mileage, they never look at last year's bill - just send out the value for the year, make and model. High mileage is the biggest factor in depreciating a vehicle, there are people all over this state not paying attention to what they are charged even if they have above average mileage. I now save my tax receipts every year and send those in with documentation of current mileage.

It's amazing how people will take the time to type a complaint here but won't do a little legwork. Does it suck to have to do it? Yeah, but if you want to save the money - do it.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 PM

230 posts, read 254,469 times
Twingles, I already appealed last year through email and he told me the value would go down every year automatically so there wouldn't be a need to do this every year. The emails contained the documentation, that's why I added on to the original email thread and he lowered the value within hours. That was much easier and quicker than snail mail. I didn't post here to complain..well kind of, but I mainly wanted to bring awareness to the issue in hopes that people would compare their values to previews values. The problem isn't that I have to appeal, the problem is that they have increased the appraisal on this vehicle for the past two years. In 2014, it appraised at $4200. In 2016, it's valued over $5000. I don't care that it's only an $800 difference; I care because I'm being overtaxed, along with many others, I'm sure.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 PM

1,734 posts, read 2,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wake county vehicle values are ridiculous. Someone locally should sponsor a law that requires the county to use Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds or whatever.
No complaints here. My Ford Ranger is $4.10

Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,958,926 times
No complaints here either. Mine have always been right around or even below Blue Book private sale values.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 PM

19,391 posts, read 27,670,070 times
True story: in 2012, we purchased two, identical vehicles. Literally, The only difference was the color. They were purchased 90 days apart, both brand new.

In 2013 we get our first property tax notice for vehicle #1. This was also our first year in NC and we had never paid vehicle prooerty tax before. We thought the tax was rather high for our lower end vehicle, but we paid it.

Three months later, we get the bill for car #2, which is $130 less than car #. Though identical, car #1 was valued around $7000 more than car #2.

We never would have even realized this except for the oddity of having two identical cars.

Took me over an hour to get it all corrected at Durham County Tax office.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 AM

22,647 posts, read 36,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Twingles, I already appealed last year through email and he told me the value would go down every year automatically so there wouldn't be a need to do this every year. The emails contained the documentation, that's why I added on to the original email thread and he lowered the value within hours. That was much easier and quicker than snail mail. I didn't post here to complain..well kind of, but I mainly wanted to bring awareness to the issue in hopes that people would compare their values to previews values. The problem isn't that I have to appeal, the problem is that they have increased the appraisal on this vehicle for the past two years. In 2014, it appraised at $4200. In 2016, it's valued over $5000. I don't care that it's only an $800 difference; I care because I'm being overtaxed, along with many others, I'm sure.
I wasn't really calling you out specifically, but thanks for taking it well

I agree, no matter how small the amount, I am going to give grieving the amount the old college try. Still, when all is said and done, we don't pay taxes when we buy or lease a car, a figure that is generally rolled into any financing, and I'm sure that most people come out ahead on that end. It just feels worse having to pay it every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: