Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM

7,183 posts, read 6,763,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm 27 so around the same age as your oldest son. I just never got into Pokemon. My friends all did in elementary school and I bought into the craze for a hot minute with the excitement of getting the cards and seeing which ones you got and if any of them were the special edition silver ones or whatever....but I never really played it or watched the show..I definitely didn't have the whole binder full of them or go to tournaments or things like that.

I was more of the "lets go out and tie skateboards to bikes and roll down the steep driveways" kid. Maybe I was born in the wrong era.

I definitely agree Pokmon Go is a great alternative to video games. The 5k and 10k steps thresholds needed to upgrade the pokemon is genius.
I'm 27 also and it was HUGE in elementary school! I was a big fan of Pokemon and watched the original series and Johto League on TV. I got away from it over the years but every now and then when I get free time I'll break out Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo 64, upload my Pokemon that I've had since 2000 from the Blue Version and whip somebody's ass. My Level 96 Venusaur is nobody to **** with.

All that being said, riding bikes and scooters (not the electric kind) were the majority of what me and my friends did (I still wear those battle scars), other than watch WWF wrestling back when Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were there. The summer break from school in 2001 was my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,440,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I'm 27 also and it was HUGE in elementary school! I was a big fan of Pokemon and watched the original series and Johto League on TV. I got away from it over the years but every now and then when I get free time I'll break out Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo 64, upload my Pokemon that I've had since 2000 from the Blue Version and whip somebody's ass. My Level 96 Venusaur is nobody to **** with.

All that being said, riding bikes and scooters (not the electric kind) were the majority of what me and my friends did (I still wear those battle scars), other than watch WWF wrestling back when Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were there. The summer break from school in 2001 was my favorite.
Yeah I'm just probably undiagnosed ADHD and honestly just couldn't sit still or focus long enough for video games. Pokemon/video games and the old-school outside adventures definitely aren't mutually exclusive.

My brother (who is much younger than me, only 13 now) was in to Yu-gi-oh and bay-lades for a while; nothing seems to have caught on quite as much as Pokemon did though! I also think our generation is one of the most nostalgic/clingy to childhood memories/phases though.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:07 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,151,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That was my thought, however, I did not want to disturb anyone there visiting or worse, burying a loved one. It was late afternoon and ...wait for it....dead quiet.
You forgot to end that with "I'll be here all week. Try the veal."

Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 AM

7,183 posts, read 6,763,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
My brother (who is much younger than me, only 13 now) was in to Yu-gi-oh and bay-lades for a while; nothing seems to have caught on quite as much as Pokemon did though! I also think our generation is one of the most nostalgic/clingy to childhood memories/phases though.
I also remember when Digimon was on TV, but it never really caught on since a lot people (myself included) saw it as a Pokemon knock-off. And yeah, I'd say we're definitely the most clingy generation! Lol

Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,882,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yah.... my eldest was a video games/ride my scooter/biking around the neighborhood sort of kid, but he's hyperactive, so that figures.

Ahh... the joys of hatching eggs. It is also interesting because people TALK to one another. In person. When they might otherwise have been at home, playing video games.
i didn't know people actually talked to each other playing Pokemon Go. I didn't think there was really a reason to hold a convo with anyone while playing it.

If it's getting people out, then that's good. The sensational stories of people venturing into harms way aren't cool, tho.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,913,563 times
I never played Pokemon before. I think I was a little too old for it. My younger siblings knew about it though. But I have started playing Pokemon Go. I downloaded it just because everyone was talking about and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but I actually do like it once I got used to how it works. Because of the game, I go out and take a walk during my lunch break instead of sitting by myself in the cafeteria watching videos on my phone. I showed my 10 year old how to play, and now she constantly asks if we can go for a walk to hatch my eggs. I think it has actually been really positive.

The real problem now is that my 10 year old doesn't have her own phone for playing Pokemon, and I'm not about to buy her one. I'm not sure how all these kids playing Pokemon have their own phones for it! I found my old phone and loaded it on there for her, so she can use that as long as she's connected to wifi, but that doesn't help much if we go out. I don't plan to buy phone plan with data for it just so she can do Pokemon.

There is pretty much nothing by my house because I live too far out in the woods. But there is quite a lot around work at Duke campus, as you would expect. There is also quite a lot in Hillsborough in the historic district. There are several stops per block most blocks because of all the historic monuments and homes and several gyms in easy walking distance.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
i didn't know people actually talked to each other playing Pokemon Go. I didn't think there was really a reason to hold a convo with anyone while playing it.

If it's getting people out, then that's good. The sensational stories of people venturing into harms way aren't cool, tho.
Sure they do... people get excited when they see others playing and conversations get started up in parks and such... Pokemon starts it, but you can get into other games you like, other stuff you enjoy... etc.

It's pleasant.

Venturing into harm's way is stupid no matter the cause. Darwinism at work.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I never played Pokemon before. I think I was a little too old for it. My younger siblings knew about it though. But I have started playing Pokemon Go. I downloaded it just because everyone was talking about and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but I actually do like it once I got used to how it works. Because of the game, I go out and take a walk during my lunch break instead of sitting by myself in the cafeteria watching videos on my phone. I showed my 10 year old how to play, and now she constantly asks if we can go for a walk to hatch my eggs. I think it has actually been really positive.

The real problem now is that my 10 year old doesn't have her own phone for playing Pokemon, and I'm not about to buy her one. I'm not sure how all these kids playing Pokemon have their own phones for it! I found my old phone and loaded it on there for her, so she can use that as long as she's connected to wifi, but that doesn't help much if we go out. I don't plan to buy phone plan with data for it just so she can do Pokemon.

There is pretty much nothing by my house because I live too far out in the woods. But there is quite a lot around work at Duke campus, as you would expect. There is also quite a lot in Hillsborough in the historic district. There are several stops per block most blocks because of all the historic monuments and homes and several gyms in easy walking distance.
You could let her play on your phone when you go out with her.

I think what some are doing is setting up a wifi hotspot from their phone and letting their kids access the game via that hotspot from iPods and so forth.

My kids are all older and have smartphones, so I have not dealt with this issue.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You could let her play on your phone when you go out with her.

I think what some are doing is setting up a wifi hotspot from their phone and letting their kids access the game via that hotspot from iPods and so forth.

My kids are all older and have smartphones, so I have not dealt with this issue.
I have been letting her use my phone, but then I want to play too!

We are going to try to see if there is enough public wifi for her to be able to play in downtown Hillsborough. If not, we can try to get a Wifi To Go from the library. I don't know how to make my phone be a hotspot for her - I don't think my phone allows it.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:01 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,733,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
If not, we can try to get a Wifi To Go from the library.
Ooh, that is good information. I didn't know you could check out "wifi to go." That would be great for when we go on long car rides!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary