Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 AM

363 posts, read 439,311 times

Advertisements

I work in a public library in youth services (not in the Triangle area yet) and think it's a brilliant way to engage people in an embedded experience. That being said, since most kids don't have smartphones, here's a way to include them in the Pokemon craze: have them search for characters tucked into spots around the library, with the goal being to identify and list, say, five different characters. The kids who turn in a slip with the five Pokemon they've found get a sticker or other (small) award, and a chance to win a larger raffle prize. Very low tech, but inclusive way to get in on the craze. Of course, it's a great opportunity to create a display to highlight Pokemon books and manga, with coloring pages and safety tip sheets for Pokemon Go players. Our group of kids have been asking for a Pokemon Club for a while now, guess those binders of cards have been passed down to the next generations. Maybe they'll get their wish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Pokemon - a video game, card game, or other toy featuring certain Japanese cartoon characters.

Okay got it. But I guess I just can't leap the generational divide. I thought cell phones with internet access was cool! Cellphones with Aps that let you do things are Right On! Tossing my cars GPS out for my Cellphone GPS was down right Groovy man!

But Facebook, Twitter, (Rock and Robin 'Tweet-Tweet' more like it for me, Insta-gram, Snapchat, are just Way Out there for me, and now I read about this Pokemon craze. I guess I am left in the 'Poke-your-eye-out kid generation but that's Far Out enough for me.

To all those searching the Pokemon characters, be safe, be kind, and be considerate to those of us that just don't get it..

We are just Cool-Kat's of another era.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:24 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
My kids want to know where to find a Pikachu?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
They just randomly spawn wherever.

Cannot really go to one place and be more likely to find that one. I found my first one in my driveway. And my 2nd one was over off Harrison Avenue.

Same goes for my Squirtles and Bulbasaurs. I have yet to see a Charmander in the game except when I initially started up and the 3 appeared together.

I figure that one will show up eventually.

They could try using incense while near a lure and it might increase their chances. That's about all I can think of.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
We were taking photos at The Old Well in Chapel Hill and my son found 4. He's 35!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:48 PM

32 posts, read 35,349 times
A word to the wise, since I have seen folks mention cemeteries here: some are very accommodating such as the Brier Creek Cemetery. Others, not so much. I have witnessed cops ticketing people in Montlawn on the south side of DTR, especially in the midnight to early morning time frame. In the daytime, I occasionally go around to graves to take photos for Find-A-Grave (and the occasional Poke/Ingressing) and I have been met with hostility (Not by another player oddly enough, but by a woman who blocked me in on a road as I was attempting to leave who wanted to yell at me for "taking a video"). Just be aware of the environment you are going into - some are more friendly than others.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:44 PM

32 posts, read 35,349 times
Turns out that BCC is now off limits as well.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
It's interesting reading about this game and how folks have jumped into it.

So Pokemon Go players in the Triangle - where are the hot spots? Where are you finding cool Pokemon? Any interesting experiences at pokestops, gyms, populated areas etc?
The median on Capital Blvd.....LOL!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
They just randomly spawn wherever.

Cannot really go to one place and be more likely to find that one. I found my first one in my driveway. And my 2nd one was over off Harrison Avenue.

Same goes for my Squirtles and Bulbasaurs. I have yet to see a Charmander in the game except when I initially started up and the 3 appeared together.

I figure that one will show up eventually.

They could try using incense while near a lure and it might increase their chances. That's about all I can think of.
Well, that's sort of true, but some spots definitely have "nests"...Lake Johnson is a Magmar nest, Nash Square an Electabuzz nest. As for Charmander, there is a bunch of them running around Tanglewood Park in Winston-Salem and to a lesser extent Brentwood Park in Raleigh, Dratini nest at Apex Lake. Pullen Park has Jynx. A friend caught a wild Charizard somewheres in Garner, I don't remember where thouugh.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Duke Gardens, trust me. Walk around for an hour and you'll see at least one probably more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary