Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2006, 04:19 PM

19 posts, read 132,193 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating in the next 2 months.

Need some advice on Raleigh's Job Market? What it's like? Major Industries?
How hard it is to normally find professional employment there?
What it's like for professional Corporate Trainer, Advertising/Graphic Design, Human Resources?

What's the rental prices on a single-family 2-3 bedroom & 2 bath home?

I'm coming from Florida where English is almost the 2nd language and Spanish is the 1st. Since I cannot speak spanish, it's almost impossible to find a decent professional job in Florida.
In Raleigh, North Carolina is English spoke predominatly there?
Is there a large English speaking population?
Do you need to speak Spanish to get a job there?

Good areas in Raleigh to live at decent prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
I am going to be relocating in the next 2 months.

Need some advice on Raleigh's Job Market? What it's like? Major Industries?
How hard it is to normally find professional employment there?
What it's like for professional Corporate Trainer, Advertising/Graphic Design, Human Resources?

What's the rental prices on a single-family 2-3 bedroom & 2 bath home?

I'm coming from Florida where English is almost the 2nd language and Spanish is the 1st. Since I cannot speak spanish, it's almost impossible to find a decent professional job in Florida.
In Raleigh, North Carolina is English spoke predominatly there?
Is there a large English speaking population?
Do you need to speak Spanish to get a job there?

Good areas in Raleigh to live at decent prices?
Just so I'm clear, you're moving to Raleigh without a job, no? I'm assuming you're moving without a job, so start looking online for government jobs and jobs with some of the private companies. A temp service will probably be your best bet for now. I'm not from Raleigh and I haven't even moved to the region yet, but I'm just giving you some advice from a guy who has been a job seeker.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess that rental rates for 2-3 bedroom homes in a decent area would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 1,400 a month.

I too am born and bred in Florida, recently back from a 2 year stint in Phoenix and getting ready to move to Durham(for a job) and I can tell you for sure, not being of Hispanic heritage, I have been able to and have know people that have gotten very "professional" jobs and these people weren't Hispanic. My job in Durham is of the "professional" nature so take that for what it's worth.

Maybe I'm going over the top here, but I would think that English is the predominate language in NC and Raliegh. I would also think that there is a hugeeeee English speaking population. It'll be much different than Florida and more similar to Arizona in the sense that the majority of the Hispanics in NC, SC and GA no matter the city in those states will be of Mexican decent.

That's all that I can tell you b/c other than that, I know nothing else about Raliegh-Durham.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,813 times
I relocated to Raleigh from Miami a little more than a month ago and based on my personal experience here are the answer to your questions.

- If you don't have a job line up for you, please start applying starting right now because the job process here is very slow. What I mean about slow is that in Miami you go through a temp agency to get a job and you're working if not the next day, the following Monday. Here is different! 95% of the temp agencies here will interview you for the openings, you then have to interview with the potential client (sometimes more than once - like in my case) and then wait to see if they want to give you the temp assignment.
I have applied to more than 30 job openings in the last month and only 4 or 5 of those companies have contact me for an interview. Give yourself plenty of time to get a job. The pay rate is better than in Miami. Some temp agencies will pay you between $16-$18 an hour for an Administrative (in Miami the pay rate is between $12-$13 an hour).

- Rental - you can find a nice two bedroom apartment in the nice are of NW Raleigh for $650 and up a month. The average 2 bedroom apartment is about that price range. If you're looking for a more luxurious life style, there are many options to choose from and you can expect to pay up to $1200 a month for a two bedroom. We rented a 2 bedroom (1,200+ sq.ft.) with a one car garage in Mariner's Crossings and we're paying $899 a month. We love it here and is very quiet. We didn't have to give deposit or security to move in.

- Good areas to move to in Raleigh - NW Raleigh, North Raleigh and West Raleigh. Cary is also a nice area but more expensive. Wake Forest is also very nice and it's only a 10-15 minute drive from Downtown Raleigh. Some people like Durham but I'm not to crazy about it. It reminds me of Hialeah.

- I'm Cuban-American and I speak both English/Spanish but you don't have to worry about getting a decent job here if you don't speak Spanish because here English is the first language.

It's a very nice place to live and very, very different from the life you had in Miami so prepared yourself for drawback.

Good luck with your move Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 03-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Northridge Crossings apts is great and very diverse.

Big apts. Reasonable rents and deposits.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM

35 posts, read 130,614 times
I think another great place to look is at the BNC in Cary and the Cary Chamber. If you are considering corporate training - you will find folks who are need of assistance and programs already set up for marketing yourself. It will be difficult, depending on your savings and credit score - to purchase a home until you've re-established yourself with income in this area! Welcome and GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary