Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

Not really the first place on my list to spend my 20's...
Roamin, Roamin, Roamin... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... whyyyyyyyyyyy do you do that every time a thread such as this one pops up?

...and what PDF and pierre said is by and large true.

There are huge metropolises and then there's everything else. If you're moving to the "everything else's" of the world, then you're gonna have to exert a little more energy. And most people don't meet their "friends" out on the scene of most cities regardless of size... they meet them in more intimate settings. So a city's scene isn't necessarily indicative of the frequency or amount of friends you attract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Join a tennis league? Join a gym. It isn't a NYC or LA or Chicago, but there are plenty of young people around that you can meet. And if you like to fish, I imagine you'll have no trouble meeting someone online.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Roamin, Roamin, Roamin... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... whyyyyyyyyyyy do you do that every time a thread such as this one pops up?
Because it's true..

Why is it that whenever anyone makes a thread complaining about the exact things that I mentioned are they accused of being antisocial or directed to start attending church??

Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM

70 posts, read 93,490 times
Try meet up groups and ok cupid. Worked for me and several other friends!

Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Because it's true..

Why is it that whenever anyone makes a thread complaining about the exact things that I mentioned are they accused of being antisocial or directed to start attending church??
FWIW: I suggested neither, but strongly reject that this place is hard to meet people, or there is a lack of things to do.

It's not the place, it may be the person, or the strategy, but not the place.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
FWIW: I suggested neither, but strongly reject that this place is hard to meet people, or there is a lack of things to do.

It's not the place, it may be the person, or the strategy, but not the place.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
I can't really think of anywhere in NC that would automatically pop out as "the place" if the only criteria you have is "easy to meet people"--don't you have other needs/wants, like job market, mountains or beach, etc? Moving to a new place is going to be pretty much the same based on two things--your age, and population. Obviously somewhere with more people will be easier to find someone you can get along with, and as far as age--well, they say that once you pass college age, it's never as easy to meet new people as it was then. You're still young, and if you just look for activities you like, you will find like-minded people wherever. But I would never move somewhere just based on what people say about that--if it really is your main criteria, you should go for a big city like Atlanta, DC, etc.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM

112 posts, read 180,824 times
Do the same things you do anywhere else to meet people..... It's not like people are really that different here.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM

424 posts, read 462,274 times
I am not sure why people think things are so much different from one similar sized city in the US to the next. I have lived in many places both single and married, and there is far more similarities than differences.

If you can make friends where you are, you will be fine. If you can't seem to make friends where you are, moving is unlikely to solve the root issue (whatever that may be).

Old 07-23-2016, 01:13 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
In my opinion if you can't meet people in Raleigh you are likely to have the same issue no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary