Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,334,806 times

Advertisements

Fescue is hard to maintain with the heat down here unless you want to spend lots of money watering. I had fescue before and it was a pain. Once they dry out, the weeds start coming in. I now have zoysia and it's been maintenance free even in the recent heat and drought we've been having the past two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 07:49 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,338,629 times
I dunno. My fescue is nice and green and I haven't watered once this year. I'm getting close to switching on the sprinkler system if we don't get a good rain, though. I know a lot of folks on this board love various hot-weather grasses, but I dislike having a brown or mostly-brown yard for 7 months out of the year (basing that estimate on the few homes in my neighborhood that have have hot-weather grasses). My neighborhood is nicely wooded, though, which may have some impact.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,667,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I dunno. My fescue is nice and green and I haven't watered once this year. I'm getting close to switching on the sprinkler system if we don't get a good rain, though. I know a lot of folks on this board love various hot-weather grasses, but I dislike having a brown or mostly-brown yard for 7 months out of the year (basing that estimate on the few homes in my neighborhood that have have hot-weather grasses). My neighborhood is nicely wooded, though, which may have some impact.
I agree that bermuda is only green a small portion of the time but I have a hard time believing your fescue is green right now. Can't be all green without water for this long in this heat. What's your secret?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I agree that bermuda is only green a small portion of the time but I have a hard time believing your fescue is green right now. Can't be all green without water for this long in this heat. What's your secret?
I bet his/her grass is shaded some portion of the day.

Btw, what is the difference between Bermuda vs Zoysia. Do both only stay green a small portion of the time? And which one stays green longer?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

3,392 posts, read 7,748,690 times
My street has about 17 houses on it. I think nearly all of them started with fescue when they were built (around 10-12 years ago on average). Currently 6 still have fescue, the others (including mine) have converted over to zoysia. Of the ones that still have fescue, 3 have irrigation systems and the remaining 3 have very small yards. 3 of the homes (2 of the non-irrigated and 1 of the irrigated), look like crap right now in this severe heat. All of the zoysia yards looks great. ymmv

Old 07-27-2016, 03:43 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,338,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
As meanime says, my grass is shaded for part/most of the day depending on where it is located. My backyard is shaded for all but a short bit by trees and my house. My front yard does get sun for part of the day, but spends a good portion in the shade which helps keep it green. The front is starting to show a little stress now, so I'll probably switch on the sprinkler system (front only, the back doesn't need it) until we get some more rain.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,372,460 times
The fescue in my yard that *only* gets 6 hours of sun each day is nice and green. The parts that get 10+ hours is toast. Shade makes a huge difference in your perspective.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,862,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
My street has about 17 houses on it. I think nearly all of them started with fescue when they were built (around 10-12 years ago on average). Currently 6 still have fescue, the others (including mine) have converted over to zoysia. Of the ones that still have fescue, 3 have irrigation systems and the remaining 3 have very small yards. 3 of the homes (2 of the non-irrigated and 1 of the irrigated), look like crap right now in this severe heat. All of the zoysia yards looks great. ymmv
Zoysia would be my first choice, if budget is not an issue. Awesome grass!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,372,460 times
Emerald Zoysia is as good as it gets. Although it struggles to recover from a harsh winter here.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Do you have an HOA? Because all the ones I lived in dictated fescue grass and I hated that rule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary