Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
An additional point to make, it is hard to differenciate Durham from Raleigh or Chapel Hill, except geographically, which is probably why it is nearly always referred to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area (Combined Statistical Area), much like Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers is often referred to as NWA. I'm sure each locale within a CSA has it's own nuances, but statistically, they are one.
For whatever reason, actually Durham-Chapel Hill is one MSA per the US Census and Raleigh or Raleigh-Cary (I've seen it both ways on the USCensus site) is the other one.

Few people really have any difficulty differentiating Durham from Raleigh or Chapel Hill, but they are the three points of the region known as the Triangle. In many ways the Triangle works as one metro area (although the US Census splits us into two). I live in Chapel Hill and go to Durham frequently, but I definitely know I'm going to Durham when I do. Maybe a casual visitor wouldn't know, but I think anyone who lives here more than a week or two would. All three towns have pretty different flavors. Durham has that tobacco and black wall street legacy, NC Central (great and growing HBCU) Duke U and Duke Hospital base with a hip, creative flair, esp downtown. Raleigh has the state govt vibe and super family friendly suburban thing going on along with some fun museums, restaurants and hot spots. Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town. Research Triangle Park is the big business park (most of which is in Durham County, but a little bit is in Wake County) that people from all over the Triangle commute to for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint23 View Post
Any thoughts about Durham NC and Fayetteville AR? What do you like, not like about either place, the overall feel/culture of and/or a comparison of the two.

Also, any recommendations for nice lakes to live near in either area?
Unlikely that people are going to know much about Fayetteville, AR on this board--you should use the City Vs City forum to compare two places in different states.

Quote:
Anyone know of a website or thread here that shows a map of the neighborhoods in Durham and gives a brief description of each? Thanks
City-Data also has pages on individual cities and neighborhoods: here is Durham's--get to know all this website has to offer besides just this forum; it's a wealth of stuff. Of course there is one for Fayetteville, as well.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 PM

70 posts, read 59,922 times
Thanks HardBoiledMegg. I may check out both places. It's really good to hear people love both places so much.

Atony, thank you!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Unlikely that people are going to know much about Fayetteville, AR on this board--you should use the City Vs City forum to compare two places in different states.

City-Data also has pages on individual cities and neighborhoods: here is Durham's--get to know all this website has to offer besides just this forum; it's a wealth of stuff. Of course there is one for Fayetteville, as well.
I did the City vs. City thing and just didn't bother to post the link.
There is a lot of outdated or incorrect information.

Been to Fayetteville once. Have a sister there.
Been to Durham multiple times and never been robbed, raped, or reprimanded.

I think I would pick Durham, but that is probably out of familiarity and beach proximity.
Fayetteville certainly has great natural beauty.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM

70 posts, read 59,922 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM

110 posts, read 124,474 times
I could see where Fayetteville got it ideas from Durham. City hall building, the library, the street grid around it court house, ect. But Durham is at least 10 years ahead of Fayetteville though.

Durham has better walking sidewalks that is closer to better stores. It local bus service schedule is better and it adds commuting to other cities.

There are more stores to shop at and they have two malls.

Durham also have a much better highway system.

Oh. Property crime is higher in Fayetteville while violent crime is higher in Durham. Unemployment rate and poverty is higher in Fayetteville though.

Employment and education opportunities are much better in Durham. But cost of rent/leasing is lower in Fayetteville.

Police and government corruption is worse in Durham.

In Fayetteville, if you are black you are more likely to deal with Red Neck racism.

In Durham, it is Elitism in a racist form. Not only do they like calling the police on a black, they will change the laws/rules to restrict his access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary