Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:09 AM

612 posts, read 1,277,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
you can rent a goat to do that! I forget where but I looked into it to eat ivy at our old house. Ultimately didn't do it because we wound up moving.
The Goat Squad | The Greenest Way to Remove Vegetation!

Also, I would think any landscaping company would be able to rototill the OPs yard. Then he/she could seed for the micoclover after that. Wouldn't that work? You can also rent rototillers from Home Depot, which, depending on the size and layout of your yard, is not that difficult to do yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:32 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,600,705 times
My front yard has barely any grass - I'm totally going to plant microclover. The neighborhood rabbits will like my yard even more!

Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,249,011 times
How does microclover differ from 'regular' (Dutch white) clover?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:30 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,931,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
There's a big difference between something not causing adverse human effects and being considered "Environmentally Friendly".
lol, I'm guessing there are no herbicides that are "environmentally friendly". Glyphosate has no soil activity and binds readily to soil colloids. Doesn't leach, doesn't move off-target unless mis-applied, isn't a carcinogen...so just what exactly is "environmentally friendly"? Would you consider dihydrogen monoxide "environmentally friendly"?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renorei View Post
My grass is volunteer grass. It's not really a "lawn" per se, it's just whatever grass (and weeds) managed to grow after the house was built.
Unless you want it to come back you need to roto it, water it, roto it probably 3 times total. Especially if it's crabgrass.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,239,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
lol, I'm guessing there are no herbicides that are "environmentally friendly". Glyphosate has no soil activity and binds readily to soil colloids. Doesn't leach, doesn't move off-target unless mis-applied, isn't a carcinogen...so just what exactly is "environmentally friendly"? Would you consider dihydrogen monoxide "environmentally friendly"?
I LOL at your "unless misapplied" comment. I guess somebodies doing it wrong because USGS keeps finding it in their surface water samples. So it's moving "off target" one way or another. Lol.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:22 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,545,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Well you may laugh but if you ever studied herbicides and herbicide usage you would understand that round-up replaced some rather mean chemicals and agriculture methods that were rough on the environment. Meanwhile our food supply has increase dramatically to meet global needs. You need to do a risk-benefit analysis on something a little larger than a tiny garden plot or front yard.

And it is not the main ingredient that is in question it is one of the detergents used to help the main ingredient spread onto the leaves. That can and will and has been changed once it was found to be a potential problem.
Round-up is absolutely lethal and should be outlawed.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:30 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,545,315 times
Quote:
That article in Scientific American originally ran at Environmental Health News, a news source published by Environmental Health Sciences, a nonprofit media company. Not considered a peer reviewed article. There have been no scientifically substantiated reports of adverse human effects (commonly called 6a2's) reported from the use of glyphosate (or GMO's, for that matter). The EPA even concluded that glyphosate was safe!
Sorry, no. There have been plenty of scientifically substantiated reports of adverse human effects reported from the use of glyphosate. Hence: it's being outlawed in Europe: Why Europe may ban the most popular weed killer in the world | Science | AAAS.

As for the EPA: are you kidding me? They also gave the thumbs-up to Atrazine, the most heavily used pesticide in the U.S., made by a Swiss company that can't sell it in Switzerland or anywhere else in Europe. Epidemiological studies have found that it very likely has a seriously destructive impact on human health, and to children, in particular--yet it is now in our water systems. Industry/political interests invaded U.S. governmental watchdog organizations a long time ago.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,931,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Sorry, no. There have been plenty of scientifically substantiated reports of adverse human effects reported from the use of glyphosate. Hence: it's being outlawed in Europe: Why Europe may ban the most popular weed killer in the world | Science | AAAS.

As for the EPA: are you kidding me? They also gave the thumbs-up to Atrazine, the most heavily used pesticide in the U.S., made by a Swiss company that can't sell it in Switzerland or anywhere else in Europe. Epidemiological studies have found that it very likely has a seriously destructive impact on human health, and to children, in particular--yet it is now in our water systems. Industry/political interests invaded U.S. governmental watchdog organizations a long time ago.
EU concerns with glyphosate are risk based, not hazard based. At a high enough concentration EVERYTHING is a risk (water, salt, pickles organic apples...). But, those risks can be mitigated when products, etc. are used properly so tat the hazard is minimized. You driving a car involves a risk of injury/death. However, you reduce that risk by being a prudent/cautious driver (right?).

I would suggest you review the registration / re-registration requirements for pesticides in the U.S. I've included a link to help you understand exactly what is involved in the process. https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...e-registration

Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,239,666 times
Quote:
But, those risks can be mitigated when products, etc. are used properly so that the hazard is minimized.
Again, the assumption here is that the product is always used properly and therefore poses no or minimal risk. Problem is the product is not always "used properly" and it isn't something you really want to get into the water. Is the product evil and the worst thing in the world? Well no, I'm not saying that. But calling roundup "environmentally friendly" is like calling a cheeseburger healthy simply because it has less calories than a chocolate milkshake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary