Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Toto Drakes...best money I ever spent. My plumber picked them up at Wilkinson Suppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
I did a lot of research on toilets when we had to replace ours. With few exceptions, Toto is the preferred brand by plumbers. We bought the "Drake" model. You can purchase it yourself and have plumber install it, or let plumber both order and install.

Main source of info:

Toilet Forum discussions | Terry Love Plumbing & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I have one Drake and two other "lesser" Toto's. The Drake is really much better.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I'm not familiar with Cary Plumbing, but I had extensive plumbing work done last year with my own plumber.

I had the plumber provide the materials {I selected what I wanted}, including the toilets. He claimed the materials through his plumbing supply are a better quality than any box store along with better warranties through him. True? I'm not sure...as I'm not a plumber. I'm sure the professional plumbers on the board can weigh in.

I had 5 estimates for work that required immediate attention {Re-Plumbed house with Pex} so figured since that had to be done, I wanted to change out all the toilets, shower bodies, faucets, etc....ALL the plumbers said the same thing though; plumbing supply vs box store is not the same...selling tactic? No clue...

I went with Kohler toilets.
I do think they all really believe it, as I've heard this same thing from people I trust implicitly. That said, I've used faucets and fixtures from the big box stores and have had no more problems with them than stuff that's been purchased at plumbing supply stores at a huge markup. And generally the more I've paid, the more problems or the more weird features I've encountered, like the Kohler tub and fixtures we had in NY where you had to COMPLETELY dismantle the fixtures to clear hair out of the trap.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 PM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Ditto.....

Replaced toilets with Toto Drakes 4 years ago. My plumber picked them up at Wilkinson Supply and installed.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Toto's from Amazon with the soft close lids. Their flush is great. Comfort height and elongated are recommended. These days the old style toilets look like they're for toddlers.
1+ for Toto and soft close lid. Replaced all mine with Toto. Great toilet, great look.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 AM

269 posts, read 321,557 times
Another recommendation for Toto Drake. While you are at it, I also recommend you get a Toto washlet seat with it. Once you do, you'll never go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8KyBlGWI2k

Old 07-29-2016, 04:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
If anyone is into the gadgetry....Koehlerpure fresh is awesome. It actually works, and works well.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I do think they all really believe it, as I've heard this same thing from people I trust implicitly. That said, I've used faucets and fixtures from the big box stores and have had no more problems with them than stuff that's been purchased at plumbing supply stores at a huge markup. And generally the more I've paid, the more problems or the more weird features I've encountered, like the Kohler tub and fixtures we had in NY where you had to COMPLETELY dismantle the fixtures to clear hair out of the trap.
I got a quote from a local supplier, they want 350 for the Toto Drake, which is 230 at Home Depot. Is there a difference? I don't know...

Old 07-29-2016, 10:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I got a quote from a local supplier, they want 350 for the Toto Drake, which is 230 at Home Depot. Is there a difference? I don't know...
The lowest price Toto from HD comes without a seat. There are several model variation (eg single versus dual flush, elongated versus round, etc). One HD model is $330, so make sure you are comparing the same options. HD can buy in volume to give lower prices, but if you want good will from the installer, buy local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: