Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times

Advertisements

We're looking to replace all our toilets. I know it's an easy job, but I'm willing to pony up the money to avoid playing in 10 years of previous owners' bodily fluids.

Am I better off buying toilets at a big box store and having a plumber install? Or should I just have a plumber supply the toilets as well?

I found an older thread recommending buying and installing toilets with Cary Plumbing. Is this still a recommended route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Am I better off buying toilets at a big box store and having a plumber install?
I think you should look at the big box stores and their prices to determine what you want. My husband just replaced two of our builder specials.

We bought two Kohler Cavata toilets from Lowes. We wanted an elongated front, comfort height with very smooth lines which are easy to clean. No nooks and crannies to collect grunge. It has a dual flush with an easy-to-use lever, and a great pressure-assisted flush. One was $229, the other $199. They seemed to need two wax rings to fill up the distance.

If you can get Lowes to provide an installer, I think that would be the way to go. I suspect whatever a plumber would provide would be more expensive than what the big box store offers.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think you should look at the big box stores and their prices to determine what you want. My husband just replaced two of our builder specials.

We bought two Kohler Cavata toilets from Lowes. We wanted an elongated front, comfort height with very smooth lines which are easy to clean. No nooks and crannies to collect grunge. It has a dual flush with an easy-to-use lever, and a great pressure-assisted flush. One was $229, the other $199. They seemed to need two wax rings to fill up the distance.

If you can get Lowes to provide an installer, I think that would be the way to go. I suspect whatever a plumber would provide would be more expensive than what the big box store offers.
We went this route. Bought low flow Kohler from Lowes and had a plumber install them. Yes, needed the wax rings.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Buy them yourself. We replaced our hall toilet upstairs and very happy with it. Plumber recommended a different one for downstairs and we HATE it. It would be perfect for potty training a child. Normal sized humans not so much.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I'm not familiar with Cary Plumbing, but I had extensive plumbing work done last year with my own plumber.

I had the plumber provide the materials {I selected what I wanted}, including the toilets. He claimed the materials through his plumbing supply are a better quality than any box store along with better warranties through him. True? I'm not sure...as I'm not a plumber. I'm sure the professional plumbers on the board can weigh in.

I had 5 estimates for work that required immediate attention {Re-Plumbed house with Pex} so figured since that had to be done, I wanted to change out all the toilets, shower bodies, faucets, etc....ALL the plumbers said the same thing though; plumbing supply vs box store is not the same...selling tactic? No clue...

I went with Kohler toilets.

Last edited by nynraleigh; 07-28-2016 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Bought low flow Kohler from Lowes and had a plumber install them. Yes, needed the wax rings.
Lowes will provde an installer. The OP might check whether he needs to move or replace water supply lines if the toilet is a different size or shape from the old one. That would affect the cost of installation. Lowes also provides a discount if you want to replace an additional fixture such as a vanity.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I ordered a Toto toilet from Amazon (free Prime shipping!) and had a handyman install it. Probably the cheapest way to go. Before that I paid Cary Plumbing to replace the other two. Cost more (as you would expect) and the model provided wasn't as good as the one I got from Amazon.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
What should I expect to pay per toilet for install? Assuming drop-in and no modifications necessary.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
We hired someone to install and it was just their base service price. I want to say it was around $80. We used Rural Plumbing and Heating to do the work.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:45 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Toto's from Amazon with the soft close lids. Their flush is great. Comfort height and elongated are recommended. These days the old style toilets look like they're for toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: