Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:17 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times

Advertisements

Foxes are mostly nocturnal. If you are encountering one during the day, that's not a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM

236 posts, read 555,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Explain what the fox did exactly ???

So, yes the foxes have been spotted during the day. I think the earliest was around 5:00-6:00am, this was on video tape. The foxes were in the neighbors yards, very close to the door step. When I saw them it was around 7pm and my husband saw them much later around 9:00-10:00pm. I was not there when this happened, but my husband saw the fox across the street from our driveway when he was with my dog. The fox and my dog saw each other and my dog started barking. When my husband went inside, he looked out the window and the fox had come into our yard and was making a loud pitch barking noise. He tried to make the sound, and I guess it sounds more like a bird call. He said my dog then ran up to his window where he looks out and the fox and my dog were going back and forth barking, I guess.

My husband told me no need to call animal control, but I kind of want to. I don't want to be out walking my dog early evening and a fox try to attack us!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:10 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Foxes are mostly nocturnal. If you are encountering one during the day, that's not a good sign.
I found this while googling:

[SIZE=3]Q: I just saw a coyote/fox during the day – doesn’t that mean he is rabid?[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A:[/SIZE] It is actually not unusual to see a coyote or fox out during the day. Coyotes and foxes will venture out during daylight hours in search of food. Both animals are opportunistic feeders, meaning they will hunt for food as the opportunity presents itself – regardless of day or night. Additionally, both coyotes and foxes eat squirrels, and squirrels are only active during the day! So, if you see a fox or coyote outside during the day, he is most likely in pursuit of a squirrel, small rodent, or other daytime food source.

Good full read at the source: wildlifehotline.org

Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Yup, that idea that they're rabid if you see them during the day is an old wives tale.

If you see them close to sunrise/sunset, it's totally normal.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
My husband told me no need to call animal control, but I kind of want to. I don't want to be out walking my dog early evening and a fox try to attack us!
Why on earth not call them? All they can say is no, and likely they can recommend further action. At least it would be documented that you called.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:37 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post

[SIZE=3]Q: I just saw a coyote/fox during the day – doesn’t that mean he is rabid?[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A:[/SIZE] It is actually not unusual to see a coyote or fox out during the day. Coyotes and foxes will venture out during daylight hours in search of food. Both animals are opportunistic feeders, meaning they will hunt for food as the opportunity presents itself – regardless of day or night. Additionally, both coyotes and foxes eat squirrels, and squirrels are only active during the day! So, if you see a fox or coyote outside during the day, he is most likely in pursuit of a squirrel, small rodent, or other daytime food source.

Good full read at the source: wildlifehotline.org
Saw a coyote this afternoon on 96 near Youngsville. See them during the day fairly often in North Raleigh/Wake Forest area near Falls Lake. While both types of fox are primarily nocturnal, it is not unusual for them to be spotted during the day. Have seen them many times.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Nothing really is a cause for concern in their behavior. I agree that you should avoid them but I've never heard of them bothering people. I think that they can become desensitized, and therefore appear somewhat bolder and indifferent to humans when they don't associate humans with packs of hounds and guns. If you want to be able to trap and remove you need to prove damages, like them getting into a hen house and killing chickens.

Otherwise, your measures are along the lines of a paintball gun, super soaker, slingshot, maybe a red ryder bb gun depending on your neighbors.

Last edited by JONOV; 08-04-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 08:17 AM

632 posts, read 1,843,696 times
Why can't they just peacefully coexist? It's their home, too. Our neighborhood misses the fox family that used to live here. We would see them day and night. I was in my hammock once and looked up to see one going past me on its usual trek through my yard. Beautiful creatures. We have a wildlife photographer in our 'hood, and he took many wonderful pics over the years of the foxes visiting his yard. The foxes liked to hang out at one particular house--probably because of the hotdog treats they got there. Now that our foxes have died out (hope it wasn't a cholesterol issue, lol), we've seen a resurgence of the bunny population. We much preferred the foxes--they left the garden alone.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
If you see them during the day, it DOES NOT MEAN they are rabid. That is from expert sources.

A healthy "teen" fox screamed at me from 20 feet from my back door a few years ago. When they make noise, they sound like they're screaming. So they're not always afraid. And if it's daytime, it doesn't mean they're rabid.

I have also seen a couple of rabid foxes -- I was shooting video of a nuclear plant (my employer) from up on a hill, looking down on the plant. The fox walked from the right to the left, very slowly. He looked raggedy and gray and in a bad mood.

I saw the other one in the boonies of NY state as I was driving by, and it popped its head up above the tall grasses. He looked rapid, too -- raggedy and crazy.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
If you see them during the day, it DOES NOT MEAN they are rabid. That is from expert sources.

A healthy "teen" fox screamed at me from 20 feet from my back door a few years ago. When they make noise, they sound like they're screaming. So they're not always afraid. And if it's daytime, it doesn't mean they're rabid.
Sounds like most other teenagers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I have also seen a couple of rabid foxes -- I was shooting video of a nuclear plant (my employer) from up on a hill, looking down on the plant. The fox walked from the right to the left, very slowly. He looked raggedy and gray and in a bad mood.

I saw the other one in the boonies of NY state as I was driving by, and it popped its head up above the tall grasses. He looked rapid, too -- raggedy and crazy.
I'm told the rabid ones appear to be drunk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary