Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,827,378 times

Advertisements

So a few days ago a Measles case was confirmed in Wake County. It was an unvaccinated teen who had traveled to a part of Europe where Measles is endemic. This person then traveled to a bunch of places including the Cary YMCA and the WakeMed Cary ER.

Just for reference, Measles is among the most infectious diseases in the world - WAY more infectious than the flu. If you put a person with measles in a room with 10 unvaccinated people, 9 of them will get sick. 1 or 2 of every 1000 people who get Measles will die of it, even with first world medical care.

I understand this is an unnecessarily politicized issue but if you have chosen not to vaccinate your children or yourself I urge you to reconsider NOW. I suspect that this will not be an isolated case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,564,625 times
What gets me is that the Cary YMCA has not said anything to its members about this. The teen was at the Y for a couple of 4-hour blocks in a span of 2 or 3 days, which leads me to believe that he/she may be a camp counselor there.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:48 AM

369 posts, read 458,788 times
This article lists the places that the infected person visited...

After overseas trip, Wake resident could have spread measles at home :: WRAL.com

Old 08-04-2016, 01:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,827,378 times
The greatest concern are babies who have not been vaccinated yet. (vaccines are given at 12months). The Y has childcare programs and they have lots of babies there all the time. Including my 7month old daughter who was at the Y at the same time as the Measles Teen, and who incidentally also came down with a fever today, 9 days later. (incubation period for Measles is 9-14 days.) Not saying she is necessarily coming down with measles but gosh it makes me worry.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,845,091 times
I was at RDU at the times they were there. It would be nice to know if they were on a plane or just picking someone up. Vaccinate people!!

Old 08-04-2016, 01:51 PM

555 posts, read 498,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The greatest concern are babies who have not been vaccinated yet. (vaccines are given at 12months). The Y has childcare programs and they have lots of babies there all the time. Including my 7month old daughter who was at the Y at the same time as the Measles Teen, and who incidentally also came down with a fever today, 9 days later. (incubation period for Measles is 9-14 days.) Not saying she is necessarily coming down with measles but gosh it makes me worry.
As a mom myself, I completely understand your worry and i am sorry you are going thru that. Personally, I am not a litigious person, but if my daughter contracted measles from an infected caregiver whom I paid to provide care, I would sue for every last penny of her medical bills and more. In this case, it should be the YMCA for allowing an unvaccinated person to care for kids (assuming she did, in any capacity, care for kids of any age). The home daycare provider who cares for my kids has to be vaccinated to keep her license - how is that not also enforced at the Y, if not even more so? I hope no one - especially any babies or immunocompromised people - caught it anywhere, but if it spread at the Y, there will be an uproar. And rightly so.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:55 PM

121 posts, read 96,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
As a mom myself, I completely understand your worry and i am sorry you are going thru that. Personally, I am not a litigious person, but if my daughter contracted measles from an infected caregiver whom I paid to provide care, I would sue for every last penny of her medical bills and more. In this case, it should be the YMCA for allowing an unvaccinated person to care for kids (assuming she did, in any capacity, care for kids of any age). The home daycare provider who cares for my kids has to be vaccinated to keep her license - how is that not also enforced at the Y, if not even more so? I hope no one - especially any babies or immunocompromised people - caught it anywhere, but if it spread at the Y, there will be an uproar. And rightly so.
Not only would suing take care of the medical bills. It would also ensure that the Y never hires another unvaccinated person. So other babies less than one year old in the Y programs would be safe.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:10 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,645,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
I was at RDU at the times they were there. It would be nice to know if they were on a plane or just picking someone up. Vaccinate people!!
Since the child was returning from overseas I'm guessing s/he spent some time in the terminals.

We had a measles outbreak my senior year of college. Almost had to play the NCAA tournament in empty arenas LOL. It was the same situation, a kid who went overseas over Christmas break and brought it back. In that case, I think his immunity had just worn all. We all had to get re-vaccinated to attend class. Of course this was the 1980s so thousands of parents and no one said boo about it.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,645,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I think we're making a lot of assumptions here - no one knows whether this kid worked at the daycare or not. Since s/he was also at a sports place in MacGregor Village, and the time period in question at the Y was at NIGHT ON A SATURDAY. I highly doubt that s/he is a caregiver at the Y...more likely there doing some sports training. Doesn't mean the germs didn't get left behind.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:48 PM

750 posts, read 851,028 times
I'd like to know where in Europe it is that measles is endemic??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: