Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times

Advertisements

They are piling up as we approach our 1 year anniversary of our move to NC. We LOVE it here....would love the answers to these questions to improve our time here even more!

1. Dd's had bikes for *years in Colorado (zero humidity) with no problems. Here, even though we store them on a coverered porch, they are covered in rust so much so they need to be replaced. WUWT? What can we do to the new bikes we'll be buying shortly to stop/slow this process?

2. Last summer we kept note, and never *once saw a backyard pool being used in the summer. Not *once! We are considering putting one in...but it is *too hot to enjoy one in an NC summer?? I would be really upset if we spent that much and it didn't get used as often as I am hoping!

3. It's been almost a year, and aside from once during a nature hike...we have yet to see a snake on our 2 acred, wooded property. Do you all think that means we are snake free?? LOL We do have an owl, and I heard that he deters them. Oh, how I love to hear him who-ing away! <please no one tell me if that isn't true....I have to hold onto the belief!!>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
They are piling up as we approach our 1 year anniversary of our move to NC. We LOVE it here....would love the answers to these questions to improve our time here even more!

1. Dd's had bikes for *years in Colorado (zero humidity) with no problems. Here, even though we store them on a coverered porch, they are covered in rust so much so they need to be replaced. WUWT? What can we do to the new bikes we'll be buying shortly to stop/slow this process?

2. Last summer we kept note, and never *once saw a backyard pool being used in the summer. Not *once! We are considering putting one in...but it is *too hot to enjoy one in an NC summer?? I would be really upset if we spent that much and it didn't get used as often as I am hoping!

3. It's been almost a year, and aside from once during a nature hike...we have yet to see a snake on our 2 acred, wooded property. Do you all think that means we are snake free?? LOL We do have an owl, and I heard that he deters them. Oh, how I love to hear him who-ing away! <please no one tell me if that isn't true....I have to hold onto the belief!!>
With the drought, you'd probably be fined if you were on city water and tried to fill a pool.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM

107 posts, read 480,501 times
Re. 2: On the contrary, a pool is the ONLY way to survive the summer if you plan to be outside. Not sure why you wouldn't have seen anyone use one. Though, it might not be the best/ most considerate time to get one, what with the drought and all...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 AM

188 posts, read 748,346 times
I will take a shot at #2 and 3:
2. It is not too hot to enjoy a pool in NC. The community and club pools are full of people. I am not sure why you haven't seen use. It is not like S. Fla where the water becomes hot like a bath in the intense summer months.
3. I think the talk of snakes on this site has been greatly exxagerated. I believe they are few and far between in these areas. I have seen one in my 7 years here and it was non-poisonous. I grew up in a rural section of eastern NC, and even there the sightings were sparse. My opinion is not too worry about the snakes in residential areas, but remain cautious (not alarmed) in wooded areas, gardens, etc. i have an intense fear of snakes, but I have always heard that they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times
Thanks! We are in Johnston County and was told it was fine to put in a pool and have it filled. While legally fine...do some "NCers" have a moral problem with that? That sounds sarcastic, but is not meant to be!! I want to hear if that would be a bad choice beyond legally.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Under Raleigh's newest level of water restrictions, residents are not allowed to fill pools (even little kiddie pools) from the local water supply, but you can pay to have it trucked in. I don't know about the other areas like Johnston county, but if things don't improve my guess is that most communities will follow suit.

newsobserver.com | Raleigh water limits may sink summer fun

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Backyard pools are fairly rare in this area compared to some areas (Florida, Texas). Most people get by with neighborhood pools. When it comes time to sell, you have some concerns. First, what is the return going to be on what you spend for the pool. Second, and maybe more important, what does having a pool do for the desirability of your property. A lot of people simply don't want to deal with maintaining a pool.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Sorry, but I can't help you with the first question. We keep our bikes in the garage or mud room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
I know our community's pool was heavily used during the summer months. I don't use it because I don't have kids. However, I've been in private pools in the heat of summer (August especially) and sometimes the water feels more like a warm bath & isn't terribly refreshing. Even if the water isn't warm, though, you shouldn't expect people to spend multiple hours every day out by the pool. Some people refrain from swimming much during the day because it's so much easier to get sunburned. I've always prefered swimming in the late evening.

The great thing about owning your own pool is that the swimming season can be VERY long here. With a little help from a heater at the beginning & end of the season, you could easily have your pool open for half of the year here. Just be aware that you'll be VERY popular with the neighborhood kids!

Quote:
While legally fine...do some "NCers" have a moral problem with that? That sounds sarcastic, but is not meant to be!! I want to hear if that would be a bad choice beyond legally.
Yes, I think a lot of people would find it morally irresponsible to fill a swimming pool right now. It's true that some communities have larger reserves than others, but those communities will soon have to share.

Quote:
I'm sure they're out there, but I don't think they're as prevalent as one may be lead to believe. Remember that snakes don't want to encounter humans. If they hear you coming, they'll head in the opposite direction. I don't think it's as big of a concern as some people on this board may lead you to believe. By all means take precautions, but don't avoid the great outdoors.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM

58 posts, read 360,750 times
I agree that water restrictions sound like they will be ratcheted up in the near future, and likely cover areas that are farther from Raleigh. As far as filling a pool is concerned, just have the water trucked in as a previous poster mentioned. I don't think that there is any problem if you are willing to pay to obtain water from out of state. This solution is more expensive the the hose filling method, but you aren't doing anything wrong either!

As for the snakes! Good luck there! We have been in our home for just over five months. Within the first few weeks a juvenile snake got into the garage and decided to make it home. We discovered him when my 5 year old was putting on her shoes to go to school and said, "Mommy look at that cute little snake hiding in daddy's shoe. We were in a hurry so I squelched my panic, and got the kids to school. From that point forward every time I went into the garage the little bugger either popped out of a shoe (!), or zipped right in front of me on his way to hide behind a moving box. After having most of our shoes held hostage by the snake for 8 days (and you know I was not about to pick up any of the shoes that were in the garage to see if he was in there -- those shoes were dead to us!), the final straw came when I drove my car into the garage and nearly put my foot on top of him as I was getting out of the car. The snake gave me a menacing warning hiss and I screamed for all I was worth. Of course, my four kids were in the car with me because there ALWAYS has to be a witness when mom comes a little bit unglued. I explained the problem and told them to go into the house (via the opposite side of the car of course!) while I got rid of the snake.

I wish I had the next 20 minutes or so on tape. Completely fed up with being terrorized by this crazy snake popping out at me every single time I entered the garage, I decided to reclaim my territory (and more importatnly my shoes!). I got a broom and tried to sweep him out of the garage. This did not work well at all! I thought that he would see the broom and slither off in the opposite direction. Nope. He attacked the broom and did a LOT of hissing. I kept sweeping, the snake kept hissing, and a lot of shrieking, colorful language, and dancing around like a moron followed (thank god the kids were in the house -- this was not one of my finer moments!). I finally got him by standing on a chair so he couldn't "get me", scooping him up with a shovel and flinging him towards the driveway while simultaneously hitting the down button on the garage opener, and, of course, screaming for all I was worth.

We haven't seen each other since, nor have I seen any others. I am cautiously optimistic that I have now met my quota for snake encounters!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM

58 posts, read 360,750 times
And one other thing about the snakes! I agree with MrsSteel. I don't think that the snakes are that prevalent either. We back to woods and have a stream running through the back portion of the property. I enjoy walking in the woods, and the only one I have seen was the terrorist in the garage. Just thought you all might enjoy I little chuckle at my expense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary