Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times

Advertisements

In the spirit of something needs to be done this may not be the solution. It is to bad the State and County are arguing about class size when an overall shortage of adequate schools are not available. IMO this is like the life rafts that were used on the Titanic. Some were only filled to their recommended limits when the real problem was their were not enough of them for everyone. So some overcrowding is unavoidable until the new schools can be built. Let Wake County Public School manage it and let the stat move onto bigger and better things to solve like fresh drinking water for all of us.

Can't the Wake County Public School officials and the State Board of Education just get along? Let focus on calculations and equations in our classrooms and not use the students as the variables in those calculations!

newsobserver.com | Wake votes to cut class sizes (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/954259.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 AM

353 posts, read 995,975 times
Not sure what you mean, dansdrive, there are LEGAL limits on class sizes, and if Wake violates them, they can request waivers. In fact, they did, and waivers were granted. Then they requested more, and the state BOE denied the requests. They also sent a letter to Wake's Superintendent stating that they wanted Wake to address the overcrowding issue at the schools with parents. Superintendent sent BACK a letter saying there was not state "statutory need" for him to comply. So the State BOE slapped him down a notch. I say good for the State, the arrogant Wake BOE and OGM need to be taken down a peg or two.

If they want to play hardball, let 'em play. There are LAWS though, which each district must follow, and to say that we should sweep aside laws so that Wake can "deal with growth issues" is dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,614 times
I'm with UNCMetsGal. What was really interesting to me is that WCPSS used the excuse of 'extenuating circumstances' due to the court ruling. I think that over half of the waivers were for classrooms in year round schools and that some of those yr schools are underenrolled.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
Not sure what you mean, dansdrive, there are LEGAL limits on class sizes, and if Wake violates them, they can request waivers. In fact, they did, and waivers were granted. Then they requested more, and the state BOE denied the requests. They also sent a letter to Wake's Superintendent stating that they wanted Wake to address the overcrowding issue at the schools with parents. Superintendent sent BACK a letter saying there was not state "statutory need" for him to comply. So the State BOE slapped him down a notch. I say good for the State, the arrogant Wake BOE and OGM need to be taken down a peg or two.

If they want to play hardball, let 'em play. There are LAWS though, which each district must follow, and to say that we should sweep aside laws so that Wake can "deal with growth issues" is dangerous and irresponsible.
Agree 100% that laws should be followed or amended no question. But in the interim does it make sense to bounce the kids around like ping pong balls in a match? They need a solution that takes into account the children first. They can be mad at each other and blame each other all they want but don't make the kids the pawns. I agree they can all come down a notch or better yet throw the pole out and start using common sense for these un common problems.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

You'll get no argument from me that most of these people behave like children. But, as someone who has been following WCPSS and school issues for the past 3 years, I must say (IMO), the kids are ALREADY treated like ping pong balls. Reassignment, MYR, criss-cross bussing, up and at the stop at 6am (NOT ON YOUR LIFE), etc etc etc..

This is nothing new to me, but I am GLAD that the state (it seems, the only ones with the "power" to do it) is now trying to hold WCPSS ACCOUNTABLE -- that in and of itself is huge.

If WCPSS got back to the issue of EDUCATION, it would go a LONG way to resolving the problems they themselves create.

*plunk*plunk*
$0.02

Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
The easiest solution would be for WCPSS to put CAPS on student enrollment. If a class exceeds the state limit, that class is CLOSED. If a school exceeds the enrollment limit by a certain percentage, then the school is CLOSED and the students sent elsewhere, preferable to one of the new schools opening up. It would also help tremendously in those schools that are seriously overcrowded because people keep moving into the nodes where the "popular" school are. Once those schools are closed out, they'll look elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM

What REALLY chaps my hide is that there are UNDER-ENROLLED year-round schools, especially at the newly converted schools. That is absolutely APPALLING. EVERY SINGLE TAX PAYER should be OUTRAGED at this waste of money and the bureaucratic DOUBLESPEAK coming from central office and OGM.

It's why I left Wake County.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 PM

544 posts, read 852,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
They also sent a letter to Wake's Superintendent stating that they wanted Wake to address the overcrowding issue at the schools with parents. Superintendent sent BACK a letter saying there was not state "statutory need" for him to comply.
That's not what happened. A *part* of the letter to the
superintendent from the state asked the superintendent to spell out
what they school system had done to notify parents their kids' classes
were over the limit.

The superintendent replied that there was not a specific state law
that required the schools to notify parents.

The superintendent never said the school district didn't
need to comply with state class size requirements -- as you are suggesting

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The easiest solution would be for WCPSS to put CAPS on student enrollment. If a class exceeds the state limit, that class is CLOSED. If a school exceeds the enrollment limit by a certain percentage, then the school is CLOSED and the students sent elsewhere, preferable to one of the new schools opening up. It would also help tremendously in those schools that are seriously overcrowded because people keep moving into the nodes where the "popular" school are. Once those schools are closed out, they'll look elsewhere.
lamishra, I agree with you however in practice that would be challenged in court immediately. No one will bar a child from a public school no matter how crowded it is. The way people move in and out of homes here I don't know how the schools or municipalities can keep any semblance of order and planning. With the area slowing I think WCPSS can catch its breath and push to get more classrooms on line so our kids have adequate sized classes to nurture learning and not just be number or newbie.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
That's not what happened. A *part* of the letter to the
superintendent from the state asked the superintendent to spell out
what they school system had done to notify parents their kids' classes
were over the limit.

The superintendent replied that there was not a specific state law
that required the schools to notify parents.

The superintendent never said the school district didn't
need to comply with state class size requirements -- as you are suggesting

That's NOT what I said.

I said the state (if you want to nit pick, yes in PART) asked for the Superintendent to address parents whose children's classes were overcrowded and that he replied there was no state requirement mandating his need to comply with that request.

Please re-read what I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary