Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM

111 posts, read 88,879 times

Advertisements

I realize the full details may not yet be available, but on the surface it seems like a stand your ground situation. Why is this kid snooping around someones garage at all hours of the morning? I hope we aren't charging homeowners with murder for defending their property now. Don't go on someones property uninvited, period.

Raleigh man faces murder charges after fatal shooting :: WRAL.com

Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,006,649 times
Not even close. He shot indiscriminately into a crowd outside his home. From his garage.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Not even close. He shot indiscriminately into a crowd outside his home. From his garage.
Why was there an angry mob trespassing on his property?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
I am sick of these types of stories. As a common person with common sense, if you show up at someone's house, screaming, yelling threats, brandishing a firearm, bad things are likely going to happen. You're 6'3" 280 pounds and you bullrush a police officer who is telling you to stop, bad things are going to happen. The shooting may have been bad, but the point is, you put yourself in bad situations, bad things are bound to happen. You don't get to cry "victim" when you do this. This man is not some cold blooded murderer. He was in fear for his own and his family's safety. Did he over react? Maybe, the trial will get to the bottom of that. but what the hell was a clan of crazed people doing at his house?

Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 AM

347 posts, read 521,726 times
"They were showing a firearm, so I fired a warning shot, and somebody got hit." - the homeowner

There's no such thing as a warning shot. No one should ever fire a warning shot. This is probably why he's being charged with murder. If he had truly been in fear for his life, he would have shot with intent to kill.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
This guy made it pretty clear in his 911 calls that a he was looking to take the law into his own hands and confront the group and "secure my neighborhood." That's not stand your ground. Until they start breaking down your door, you wait for the cops to come handle it.

Man, 20, killed by shotgun blast outside northeast Raleigh home | News & Observer

Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
This guy made it pretty clear in his 911 calls that a he was looking to take the law into his own hands and confront the group and "secure my neighborhood." That's not stand your ground. Until they start breaking down your door, you wait for the cops to come handle it.

Man, 20, killed by shotgun blast outside northeast Raleigh home | News & Observer
Like I said, I'm not saying it was a clean shooting. Police are trained to shoot to kill if they have to shoot. No such things as a warning shot. It's all or nothing. However, a lay person does not have that sort of training usually. He may have very well been in fear for his life when he fired a "warning shot" And lets look at this from another perspective. Murder requires clear intent to kill. If he was truly in fear and firing a warning shot into a group or crowd where they were making threats and had guns, I say manslaughter at the MOST. Not murder. These idiots should not have been there in the first place.

I'm on a jury, it's manslaughter or not chance for a conviction. NONE! That said with the info we have now.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM

70 posts, read 162,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Like I said, I'm not saying it was a clean shooting. Police are trained to shoot to kill if they have to shoot. No such things as a warning shot. It's all or nothing. However, a lay person does not have that sort of training usually. He may have very well been in fear for his life when he fired a "warning shot" And lets look at this from another perspective. Murder requires clear intent to kill. If he was truly in fear and firing a warning shot into a group or crowd where they were making threats and had guns, I say manslaughter at the MOST. Not murder. These idiots should not have been there in the first place.

I'm on a jury, it's manslaughter or not chance for a conviction. NONE! That said with the info we have now.

Police are not trained to shoot to kill. They are trained to shoot to stop the threat.

But yes warning shots are a no no.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM

I believe that, if a person(s) is a participant to, accomplice to, or facilitator of a crime that results in death (intentional or accidental), that person(s) can be charged with murder.

This means anyone who was also trespassing on the property or even disturbing the peace in the area that night could be charged with murder.

This means the other members of the mob should be more at risk for being charged with murder than the homeowner that was lawfully protecting his private property.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The problem with "stand your ground" laws is that vigilantes can and do take it to the extreme.
Once while I was standing on a bridge next to friend's building property back entrance and waiting for said friend to join me for a walk, a woman came to the edge of the property inquiring as to why I was standing there. Now, mind you, I was literally just standing there on the sidewalk of a public bridge while wearing shorts and a tshirt and looking out from the bridge over the water while I waited. I didn't have my phone out, I wasn't carrying anything on me that was suspicious. I am literally a middle aged man who is completely benign, yet she decided to inform me that she was "standing her ground". Of course, I immediately felt threatened because...after all, this is Florida and we know that the craziest stuff goes down here.

There is no silver bullet (pun intended) law that is going to fix everything. The world is not black and white but rather a series of greys. You can neither have a blanket defense for shooting at will on your property nor completely disallow someone to defend oneself when needed. When life is not imminently in danger, one should not have the right to shoot at will. A trial will prove whether or not that's the case and the only way one gets to the trial is to charge the person with a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary