Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times

Advertisements

On a side note, what are they doing at Lake Crabtree? Saw them clearing some dirt, is that part of the greenway extension to the new carpenter park on Louis Stephens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:57 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
As stated, it is "our" (everyone's not just the park users) property, and it is absolutely appropriate to protest.

Most anyone would agree that RDU is vital to our growth, and most might even agree that if this land was being considered to expand the airport, or the services it provides, that it would be one thing, but instead, they are talking about using the land to develop an office park. THAT is why people are protesting.

The park itself, and in fact the mountain-bike trails, the access to Umstead, and the general availability of green-space and access to outdoor activity is one of the things that is regularly cited in why RDU is among the fastest growing metros in the country. It's fully appropriate to advocate for these green-spaces, especially when:
1. There is so much vacant space already, and
2. There is so much green-space that is not being used

Note that the mountainbike trails are among the highest use county park attractions in Wake County. They are more than just a cool place to ride a bike. They are part of the quality of life. I've been riding those trails for over 20 years now (some of them weren't even built yet), and I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen families out there, and kids learning to do something positive.

I realize that not everyone has the passion for bikes that I do (many have it, but not everyone), but to imply that the plans being considered have any connection to the growth of air travel in the Triangle is fully misguided.
Signed! Agree that green space and recreational opportunities are huge QOL factors that are vital to recruit and retain talent. After all, much of that talent could live anywhere... San Fran, Seattle, Austin, Hawaii (WFH).

Totally agree we have tons of for lease space already up and down not only Airport BLVD but all along Aviation Parkway. Everywhere I go, RTP, Morrisville, Cary I see for lease everywhere! I know they are thinking way in the future but why don't we start redeveloping and building up instead of more sprawl with uninspiring low slung (1-3 story) office space.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
On a side note, what are they doing at Lake Crabtree? Saw them clearing some dirt, is that part of the greenway extension to the new carpenter park on Louis Stephens?
Trailhead with parking space

Old 08-11-2016, 02:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Signed. It's not like they're expanding the actual airport.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:47 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Are you talking about the work going on on Old Reedy Creek, or the work going on at Aviation and Evans?

If the former, they are building a nice trailhead that will have bathrooms, more parking, etc.

If the latter, I saw that earlier today and not sure what it is, but it looks like they are developing that lot on the corner.

The greenway is being expanded, but don't think anything is going on with that yet. Cary is adding greenway from the Black Creek Greenway (so a ways down from the trailhead work) around the other side of the lake over to Evans. Morrisville will be building a greenway that parallels Aviation/Morrisville-Carpenter, terminating at Davis. I don't think there are any plans to connect to the new park on Louis Stephens (that is *still* not open). There are plans for a greenway from 55 over to the American Tobacco Trail, however.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:52 PM

I would hate to see the Crabtree MTB trails go away. Really nice trail system with a ton of work but in by volunteers over the years. So I'm glad to see pressure being applied. I also understand why the airport has to have these plans and understand that nothing is happening anytime soon. Hopefully the pressure will result in some sort of compromise, such as a land swap deal. That gets extra complicated because you've got the county, the state (Umstead) and the Airport Authority involved.

I do suspect that certain other unofficial trails will not survive this long term.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:00 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
I heard a lot of complaining about the trails on the other side of 40, but those have always been "illegal" and no one should be surprised if they get closed. Doesn't sound like the south side of 40 is in any danger.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Doesn't sound like the south side of 40 is in any danger.
No, there is definitely danger. That is the whole point of the petition.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, including the baited title of it.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Again, there are obligations tied to federal grants the airport receives that requires them to have plans for property to be used in the best interest of the airport.
This may indeed be true, but I'd like to see an independent assessment of exactly what these obligations are and what degrees of freedom exist with respect to them. At first, RDUAA was not mentioning these obligations when they were challenged about selling land that they will never use for aviation operations. The more public pressure that RDUAA came under, then we starting hearing about FAA obligations. The sequence of events makes me skeptical about spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary