Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 03:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

I bought my house in 2006 from a guy who bought it as a foreclosure back in 2005. Over the past year from time to time collection notices would come in the mail from the Tax department addressed to the previous owner who had gone into foreclosure. I usually marked them "Return to Sender" and put them back in my mailbox and the postal carrier took them away. Today I came home from work to see a delivery notice in my mailbox indicating the North Carolina Department of Revenue attempted to deliver a certified letter to my address but the note indicates it was addressed to the previous owner who went into foreclosure. Obviously there is a person out there who has some serious financial issues and the State of NC thinks they still live at my house. What can /should I do to let the powers that be know the person they are looking for no longer lives at this address?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,736,438 times
Try writing on the envelope, "No longer at this address," instead of "Return to sender." Maybe that'll work. Hope so.
That's not fun, seeing there's a certified letter or some "notice" before you realize it's not for you.
Best,
toodie

Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
I've dealt with this many times - product of frequent moves. I always write "not at this address" on the envelope. If there is sufficient information on the return label to call, I do so. A few minutes of my time making the call, saves me a lot of time later in continuously sending things back. I used to do nothing. Then a cop showed up at my door at 1am looking for the previous resident.

If/When the previous guy files his tax returns this year, it should let the gov't know that he no longer lives there, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary