Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
This accident was westbound, not eastbound.
There are a lot of lane merges in the stretch between 540 and 147 in both directions (lot of lanes become exit lanes so people are swapping lanes to get in the right one) - and people are usually going 75+ that stretch. Somebody doesn't check their blind spot or someone is driving aggressively and I could easily see how an accident happens at that stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
This accident was westbound, not eastbound.
Yeah? So now you know I'm directionally challenged.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Highway patrol saying it was a chain reaction rear-ender behind stopped traffic.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:17 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that the aggression has been adopted by some locals AND that the slower pace has been adopted by some transplants and we really have no clue who is driving in what way anymore.

It's sad that people are losing their lives over this inability that everyone seems to have to be reasonable on the roads, though.
This is very true, as you will see quite a bit of aggression (or passive aggressiveness like people poking along and then flooring the gas as someone attempts to pass) when you go into some areas just outside of the Triangle where there are very few transplants.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
More likely than not the car at fault was driven my some @$#% with his eyes glued on his cell phone. I see it every single time I drive.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is very true, as you will see quite a bit of aggression (or passive aggressiveness like people poking along and then flooring the gas as someone attempts to pass) when you go into some areas just outside of the Triangle where there are very few transplants.
Yeah... I have experienced this over the years. Many times. We have no clue unless someone's got an out-of-state plate, not really.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:32 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
More likely than not the car at fault was driven my some @$#% with his eyes glued on his cell phone. I see it every single time I drive.

So true. It's an epidemic.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Heads up to anyone heading out that way. Multiple cars on fire on I-40 at Davis Drive. Expected to be closed until noon. Traffic being diverted off the interstate at 54.

Car fire blocks westbound lanes of I-40 in Durham :: WRAL.com

Edit 11:05: Fire is out, but wreckage still strewn across the road. Three cars burned, and a fourth one involved in the wreck also still in the middle of the road.
I turn off right before Davis, but I saw the black smoke and the firetrucks this AM. Very scary.

Quote:
In this case, I wonder if it's a result of the short amount of time people have to come off NC-147 and get over to exit onto Davis Drive. You have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in about 1/4 mile. I'm always surprised there aren't more accidents there.
You can exit 147 onto Cornwallis, which crosses Davis Dr., to avoid this (and avoid 40 altogether).

Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I hate to always be the "it's nothing compared to up north guy", but I travel to Boston every couple months and every time it just amazes me how much worse the aggressive and selfish driving is up there. We're so far from reaching that point here it's not even funny, and I doubt we'll ever get there.
That's not helpful; it is still a bad thing, even if "it's worse where I come from!" It's like telling someone with a chronic migraine, "Oh, that's nothing--I've got kidney stones, quit complaining!"

Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's not helpful; it is still a bad thing, even if "it's worse where I come from!" It's like telling someone with a chronic migraine, "Oh, that's nothing--I've got kidney stones, quit complaining!"
I know it's not helpful, but it has nothing to do with where people are from. It has to do with population - the more people you put on a road, the more aggressive people become. In other words, it's not going to get any better (until we have cars that drive themselves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary