Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadWriteRun86 View Post
We pay $900 a month + some utilities. I really would not want to go over that considering I'm likely not going to make what I make here. ($14ish per hour).

If daycare is a substantial amount higher than what we pay here, than the rent would need to be even lower. If we HAVE to, we can put her back into home daycare, but I'd really like to avoid that.
To be honest, I think you may have a difficult time finding a 2 bd rental within 30 minutes of Morrisville for under $900. There are a few, but they aren't exactly in the best of neighborhoods. Even more difficult might be a school-like environment daycare for $150/wk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
To be honest, I think you may have a difficult time finding a 2 bd rental within 30 minutes of Morrisville for under $900. There are a few, but they aren't exactly in the best of neighborhoods. Even more difficult might be a school-like environment daycare for $150/wk.
With such a small budget, I'd recommend Sanford, which is more like 40-45 minutes to Morrisville. Don't worry about schools yet since the child is only 2. They could move closer to work when the husband earns more.

Also try Fuquay-Varina or Angier on the outskirts of the Triangle.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 7,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ouch. This doesn't help things. I need to discuss with my husband.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
With such a small budget, I'd recommend Sanford, which is more like 40-45 minutes to Morrisville. Don't worry about schools yet since the child is only 2. They could move closer to work when the husband earns more.

Also try Fuquay-Varina or Angier on the outskirts of the Triangle.
Thank you, I will check into those places.

This whole thing stresses me out. My husband really wants this job. It's a great opportunity for him, but I'm worried about moving when we know nothing about where we are going. We can't just wing it. We have to know what we can afford before we leave. I can't even pick a daycare until I know what MY salary is going to be. I don't understand how people get through the stress of relocation!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:18 PM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Moving is stressful, that is for sure. But so is being stuck in a rut, which is what it sounds like you feel you are in!

One of the hard parts is leaving family and long-time friends. But as others have said, there are many new people here, and they are looking for new friends. I moved alone, and already have a nice but small circle after a year here. Key is getting out, joining groups of interest (church, community service, schools, etc).

If your husband is willing to do a longish commute for a short while (1-2 years?) you may well find that an investment of some time will help you make good changes. Please note (and try this out when you visit, which you must before deciding) that traffic here is absolutely nothing like traffic in the DC/ NY-NJ areas...there are some big jams, yes, but for the most part I laugh when the traffic reports on the news say that there's a logjam. The cars are moving! Maybe even 15-20 miles an hour. Totally not the Capitol Beltway. I find the driving here, on the whole, very pleasant.

Try out commute times from places like Fuquay, Sanford and other towns in that area during non-rush hour times. You may be pleasantly surprised. Also, a smaller shorter-term rental until the next GS level may be a good strategy.

And don't be overwhelmed by friends in Raleigh who diss Durham. There's an old rivalry going on there...read the forums!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadWriteRun86 View Post
We pay $900 a month + some utilities. I really would not want to go over that considering I'm likely not going to make what I make here. ($14ish per hour).

If daycare is a substantial amount higher than what we pay here, than the rent would need to be even lower. If we HAVE to, we can put her back into home daycare, but I'd really like to avoid that.
Also consider if you are going to be making much less than $14/hr here, calculate the break-even, as it may make more financial sense for you to stay at home with your child if you move.

For your housing budget, I would assume you could find a 2BR apartment here close to that range. Then if your husband doubles his salary in 2 years, you can look to buy in the district you want to send you child to school.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Thank you!

I looked up Sanford and can't believe how cheap renting seems to be there! $600-800 for over 1,00 sq feet? here you'd pay about $1200 for that. We pay $900 for a rented townhome and I'm pretty sure it's barely 1,000 sq ft IF it's even that much. Maybe daycare in that area would be cheaper too.

Hubby will be making more when we move, not much at first, but yes, I have no idea what to expect for me. I don't think I could make less than $12.50 or so to make our bills meet (cars, ect.) I expect that i'll be commuting closer to the city too to find a job that pays better. In time things will really get better for us as he will make quite a bit more, and both of our cars will be paid off.

I did log onto Indeed.com just to get an idea of what they are offering for jobs and I did find quite a few that were pretty comparable to what I make here. Of course, I would actually have to GET one of these jobs, but it's a decent place to start.

thanks so much for the suggestions. After finding Sanford things are looking back up again. Rent looks quite a bit more reasonable there!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
My understanding is that most people pay $900 and up a month for full time childcare in the area. Rent is pretty high here too and going up.

I just saw a few jobs in procurement/purchasing if you want to work for the state. I do, and it has its pros and cons, but generally its good stable employment. As long as you don't like raises ; )

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My understanding is that most people pay $900 and up a month for full time childcare in the area. Rent is pretty high here too and going up.

I just saw a few jobs in procurement/purchasing if you want to work for the state. I do, and it has its pros and cons, but generally its good stable employment. As long as you don't like raises ; )
In Sanford area? (for childcare?)

Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM

We pay about $663 a month in daycare now. That would be quite a jump. (we pay $153 per week. That's full time)

however,if we lived in Sanford for around $600-700 a month. We'd be saving $200-300 a month from where we live now, so we might be fine assuming I get a job making around what I make now.

I just jumped on again, and in Morrisville there were a lot of good paying jobs and then maybe DH and I could commute together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary