Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,218,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Apparently Cary does this at the end of every month. They pick one day to send out a bunch of cops and write as many tickets as possible. I know, I got caught up in this racket 4 years ago. I was written a BS ticket for something I did not do. Two of the lawyers I spoke to said "Ah, you got caught in the old Cary end of the month trap".
Stopping speeding in a school zone is not a racket, it's good sense.

GF and I were walking the dogs today and talking about this very subject (did not see this thread yet, at the time). What kind of aweful person do you have to be to go flying through a neighborhood where kids are playing, or worse, walking to and from school.

$250 is not enough if you ask me. I don't care what the speed limit is, I don't understand how any person with a heart can drive more than 25 mph on narrow neighborhood streets with cars parked on both sides. We were talking today, even at 20, it feels wrong in some of those areas. (the discussion was sparked as a shiny Mercedes came through our roads at about 50 mph. They obviously don't live in the Highlands. With a car like that, they were probably coming to check on their gardener or housekeeper...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:42 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,147,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Stopping speeding in a school zone is not a racket, it's good sense.
I wasn't speeding. I was going exactly the posted limit, but was written a ticket for WELL over the limit. The officer lied, and wrote a BS ticket, and I was told it happens all the time in Cary. This doesn't solve anything. The day I was ticketed, I saw no less than 7 other Cary cops with other cars pulled over within a 1 mile range of where I got pulled, near downtown Cary.

I'm not advocating speeding in school zones. I don't. I'd prefer honest cops working for honest municipalities actually doing something about problems instead of creating false ones.

I watched a car on 70 heading back to Raleigh towards Brier Creek last night, swerve around a car who apparently was holding them back (easily going 5+ the limit). Then proceed to swerve back towards them several times in what looked like an attempt to run them off the road before taking off at a higher rate of speed. They then ran through the red light at Alexander Dr without so much as slowing down. Not a cop to be found, and I have my doubts anything would have been done anyhow. they choose easier targets most of the time. I watch people blow through stop signs around North Raleigh. Very few cars actually attempt to stop. It's ridiculous, and an easy ticket to write. Cops won't bother with it.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,319,218 times
I say $250 is not even in the ballpark for the offense.

What value does a school child have? $250 ...I think not.
Limitless, unlike the posted speed I think.

I think they should drop the money and make each offender spend 1 day at the school they just sped past volunteering.

I think they should make each offender that passed a stopped school bus spend a day on that bus with the kids they could of run over.

Everyone knows our schools need peoples help. Money only goes so far.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,584,014 times
The school zone for Carpenter Elementary on Morrisville Pkwy is one that I see speeders ignoring the flashing yellow lights and 25 mph limit. Why there is an elementary school on such a major road is a completely different rant

Old 09-02-2016, 02:57 PM

11,188 posts, read 8,218,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I wasn't speeding. I was going exactly the posted limit, but was written a ticket for WELL over the limit. The officer lied, and wrote a BS ticket, and I was told it happens all the time in Cary. This doesn't solve anything. The day I was ticketed, I saw no less than 7 other Cary cops with other cars pulled over within a 1 mile range of where I got pulled, near downtown Cary.

I'm not advocating speeding in school zones. I don't. I'd prefer honest cops working for honest municipalities actually doing something about problems instead of creating false ones.

I watched a car on 70 heading back to Raleigh towards Brier Creek last night, swerve around a car who apparently was holding them back (easily going 5+ the limit). Then proceed to swerve back towards them several times in what looked like an attempt to run them off the road before taking off at a higher rate of speed. They then ran through the red light at Alexander Dr without so much as slowing down. Not a cop to be found, and I have my doubts anything would have been done anyhow. they choose easier targets most of the time. I watch people blow through stop signs around North Raleigh. Very few cars actually attempt to stop. It's ridiculous, and an easy ticket to write. Cops won't bother with it.
I fully agree with you. (Thankfully I have not experienced anything but good things with Cary Police, but I would have a problem with what you describe too....)

Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,686,451 times
Fine them all, if anything fine them more.

I drive through two elementary / middle school zones every morning and the number of people that fly past me going like 40 mph in a 25 makes my heart drop. I've only seen one cop in those two zones this week, which is no surprise as Morrisville doesn't seem to police anything correctly if it even involves a road.

As others have mentioned, I draw the line at speeding when you're in a school zone. Control yourself when you're potentially going to hurt some children with your multi-ton suburban.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,060 times
I "ass/u/me" you are commenting because the fine is so lenient! Take their driver's license and fine them, too! Period.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,686,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I "ass/u/me" you are commenting because the fine is so lenient! Take their driver's license and fine them, too! Period.
I think taking their license is extreme depending on how fast they were going and how many past offenses they've had. I do agree with you though, the fine should be higher.

Maybe a higher fine and force the person to do community service and have to re-take their licensing tests within a certain period of time. If they fail that then take their license.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,755,190 times
The money trail system used for other traffic offences (pay big bucks and get off) should not be allowed when it comes to passing school buses or speeding in school zones. Nothing worse then hearing about a child being run over trying to get to/from school.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:08 AM

307 posts, read 670,687 times
One reason that people speed through school zones is that the reduced speed limit is in effect for a lot of time when no students are present. The same is true of work zones. The Triangle is a busy place. The incompetent traffic management that Cary exhibits is causing people to run red lights, tailgate the car in front of them, and violate speed limits. A little common sense would go a long way, but it would cost Cary a lot of money.

I did not just say it is okay to speed in school zones (or elsewhere) or run red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary