Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 01:13 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,951,404 times

Advertisements

I'm pessimistic it feels like we moving into an Atlanta situation of overdevelopment and sprawl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM

259 posts, read 241,876 times
No. The city's new UDO and the Wake Transit Plan, indicate to me that the city and county are thougtful about a way forward.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:28 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,073,693 times
The lack of adequate improvement to our region's infrastructure to support the rapidly increasing population seems to be taking its toll on traffic during rush hour. I'm thankful that I don't have to commute to RTP from Raleigh every day b/c 40, 540 and 70 are bad most days. taking us down a bad path. That will quickly impede on the overall quality of life and lead to more of the hustle-bustle feel and stressed out lives that many moved here to get away from.

That said, I love that this region continues to prosper with good jobs and a strong economy. We are blessed with strong and improving cultural attractions, a good sports scene, decent weather, awesome restaurants, etc... I have also been pleased with the tremendous changes and improvements over the past 5-10 years in Durham (my neck of the woods!).

I suppose overall it's a bit of a wash. Certain aspects of the quality of life have improved here but the inadequate infrastructure and poor plans to improve it rapidly enough somewhat offset said improvements.

My perspective on this is as someone who has lived in the Triangle for 23 of the past 28 years.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 PM

346 posts, read 337,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I'm pessimistic it feels like we moving into an Atlanta situation of overdevelopment and sprawl
Atlanta sprawl? We are decades away from that if that is even possible here

Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,234,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Atlanta sprawl? We are decades away from that if that is even possible here
So true, with the Atlanta metroplex having 5.7 million people and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metroplex, having what 2.1 million people?, it could be 30 or 40 or even 50 more years (or ever) before it becomes as "sprawly" as Atlanta. I think the Atlanta region has maybe 16 Fortune 500 companies headquartered there as compared to the Triangle with maybe 1 or 2, if that. Unless the Triangle gets like 10 Fortune 500 companies to relocate their HQ's there, they will never become as sprawly as Atlanta.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 PM

6,641 posts, read 5,535,257 times
I don't think it's getting any better or worse. Downtown Raleigh is a destination unlike downtown Atlanta which empties out when work ends and people flee for the suburbs.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 AM

183 posts, read 197,091 times
one day closer to

google fiber
wegmans

so yes, def improving

Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM

376 posts, read 1,057,953 times
I think it's improving but the infrastructure needs to keep up for it to remain pleasant. If all we do here is depend on cars to get everywhere then you don't have to be a genius to realize more people plus more cars - most of them solo drivers - equal more traffic. Big buses aren't going to solve it. Most middle class families aren't going to start taking the city bus and dump their cars. However light rail is attractive across the board to all income levels. We need light rail. And we need to start now.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:13 AM

9,344 posts, read 13,925,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
I think it's improving but the infrastructure needs to keep up for it to remain pleasant. If all we do here is depend on cars to get everywhere then you don't have to be a genius to realize more people plus more cars - most of them solo drivers - equal more traffic. Big buses aren't going to solve it. Most middle class families aren't going to start taking the city bus and dump their cars. However light rail is attractive across the board to all income levels. We need light rail. And we need to start now.
Sorry, but light rail only works for all income levels if it is subsidized. And where will you put the tracks? Eminent domain to wipe out peoples homes and businesses? Where will you park? Busses on the other hand can go most anywhere there is a demand, and if the demand changes only the routes need to be adjusted.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:44 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
one day closer to

google fiber
wegmans

so yes, def improving
And H Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary