Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times

Advertisements

Winter seemed warmish this year. Summer, minus June, was brutal - Florida like.

I'll be glad to see the end of summer.

In all fairness, it was hot other places. I went to Pittsburgh for a few days and the humidity level was just like Fort Lauderdale's (my former residence) and that's not typical for them.

Bring on autumn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Welcome to NC ippi! I too am from the Bay Area (many of my years in Cupertino).

So with that said....I cannot offer any advice on things to do in this brutal heat. I wouldn't trust the lakes/ponds to cool off and so many of the community pools have bacteria issues :-( I'm seriously thinking of having my own inground pool now so I can at least be outside and cool off :-) And I'm praying that this was a one off year and that next year, while still more hot and humid than the Bay Area, I can go back to being outdoors doing the things I love.
Think twice. We had an inground pool when we lived in the triangle and it was uncomfortably hot in July and August, almost like a hot tub. And our pool was rather large, about 30,000 gallon.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Native NC-ers, did you think this was an especially hot summer? 'Cause I didn't, but I might not be the best judge 'cause I like it hot. I really haven't felt it much at all this summer, but I was gone for the second half of June. Now, in July 2012 — THAT was hot and we did bug out and go to the mountains (always 10-20 degrees cooler in Boone; it was in the 80s when it was in the 100s here). This summer has seemed pretty much par for the course IMO, but my view may be skewed. Weather records do show it's heating up everywhere.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:27 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
We didn't have any super hot temps this year, but it was consistently hot and humid, particularly in July and August, and nighttime lows were above average.

July: Persistent Heat Makes For a Sizzling July | State Climate Office of North Carolina
August: Above-Normal Temperatures Continue in August | State Climate Office of North Carolina

Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I read one thing that said 2016 was the 6th or 7th hottest summer on record. I think that 2012 summer may be the hottest. It was hard to find a stat on that so I gave up.

That bar graph on your first link shows 2016 as being kind of middle of the pack as far as heat index.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-05-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
2016 will probably go down as one of if not the hottest year on record in the US...potentially globally. We had a very mild winter in most of the eastern US and a very hot summer as well. It wasn't as "media worthy" because we didn't have dramatic heat-waves with triple digit heat over a string of days....it was just that we basically had 3 months of hot, hazy, humid weather with little if any relief. Temps were above average for most of the eastern US from June-August. Weeks and weeks of mid 90s temps and July and August in particular were very very muggy. I imagine this was largely due to the very very rainy spring and early summer.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
https://weather.com/news/climate/new...test-us-cities

Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 AM

150 posts, read 227,510 times
What to do when it's hot out? Spend some time outside every day. Otherwise you'll never get acclimated to the weather. If you hide in the AC all day of course it will feel hot.

I don't feel like this summer was any hotter than others. In fact some recent years have been cooler than normal. It's been rather typical.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
2016 will probably go down as one of if not the hottest year on record in the US...potentially globally.
Oh yeah, not doubting that. It just wasn't that hot of a summer in Raleigh, though, if you go by the heat index values on that bar graph. I don't know what they're using to determine "hottest" summer — if it's the overall mean temp, or high temps, probably not the heat index (real feel).

Persistent Heat Makes For a Sizzling July | State Climate Office of North Carolina

Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
What to do when it's hot out? Spend some time outside every day. Otherwise you'll never get acclimated to the weather. If you hide in the AC all day of course it will feel hot.

I don't feel like this summer was any hotter than others. In fact some recent years have been cooler than normal. It's been rather typical.
Yeah, that's how I approach summer. I try to get out in it every day. I do like it warmer than the average human. I think I have a reptilian ancestor back there somewhere or am solar-powered. I need a little sunshine and heat in my life everyday.

The winters here are very depressing for me. I do get used to the heat, though. I think that's one thing that's better about the summer. It's consistently hot, so if you get out in it as it warms up you have the possibility of acclimating to it. In winter it just goes up and down so much I can never get acclimated and spend all winter cold except on the rare 70 degree days that pop up now and then. I think, even though I don't like cold weather, if it was consistently cold I might learn to cope with it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary