Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:26 AM

62 posts, read 131,369 times

Advertisements

I honestly think most new comers don't know about it, unless it is disclosed in a real estate sales etc. I know several people that live in the evacuation zone and have no clue and probably don't care either. I know of another family in Holly Springs and there comment to me is that they understand that if there is an accident they will never be able to go back to their home, but in the meantime they do not want their children to go to school within the evacuation zone, knowing there would be some delay in getting all the buses to the schools and the kids evacuated. Their kids go to school in Raleigh...but don't worry Wake Co. is busing "diversity" students into the fall-out zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:04 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowfly View Post
I honestly think most new comers don't know about it, unless it is disclosed in a real estate sales etc.
My first five years in the area, I was in Durham and had no idea of the plant down in HS. DH and I moved to Apex earlier this year and he brought it up (not as a concern but as an interesting side note).

To be fair to the OP, I did ask DH if there was anything to be concerned about. He said no and started listing all the reasons why not...I zoned out after "No."

Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 AM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
If the OP was either Japanese, or lived in Japan during the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, I could well understand the concern.

Before the tsunami, approx. 30% of Japan's electric power generation was nuclear - now it's only a few percent. The exclusion zone around the damaged Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant (melt-down, containment breaches) reaches out some 15 miles, or roughly the size of Wake county:

If a similar severity event (however unlikely) occurred at Shearon Harris, the initial 50 mile evacuation zone would encompass Greensboro, Wake Forest and Fayetteville - a LOT of people.

The current exclusion zone for the Chernobyl area is currently 1,000 square mile, I believe.

Is it likely that Shearon Harris could suffer the same fate as the similarly designed Fukushima units, no, and it appears the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has taken steps to learn (and adapt) from the Fukushima event(s) (generator fail-over, etc.)

There are places one can live "away" from nuclear power plants (central western U.S., for example), but on the east coast, we're pretty much downwind (blowing NE) from a plant everywhere ... especially North Carolina.

Some reading:

How Safe Are U.S. Nuclear Reactors? Lessons from Fukushima - Scientific American
After Fukushima, a tour of the Shearon Harris nuclear power facility | Casual Observer | Indy Week

P.S. I'm not an expert in this subject - just trying to express a view.

Last edited by ncdust; 09-08-2016 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
If a tsunami reaches Cary, the nuc plant will be the least of your worries!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:11 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If a tsunami reaches Cary, the nuc plant will be the least of your worries!
Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXcu-siGqc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: