Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:58 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I think Golden Belt might be a great option to visit too

Artists - Golden Belt
*drool* What a great trip, you rock!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
The Boylan Heights neighborhood (next to downtown) have an ArtWalk through their neighborhood on the 1st Sunday of December each year. If you google it, you can keep up through their Facebook page.
And into the calendar it goes! My Aunt and Uncle used to on S.Boylan before they made their move to Charlotte a couple years ago. Shame, would be nice to actually know someone in the RDU area...

Old 09-11-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you're open to Chapel Hill and Carrboro, pretty much wherever is good. Older neighborhoods are best, but I disagree with Bo about university-centered. Not sure if that means neighborhood near the university — that's more studenty, not what I would recommend, or that the university has lots of arts — which it does, but there is plenty in town, too, that is unconnected to the university. You just don't want the brand new subdivision with the HOA because they won't let you paint your house purple. We're chock full of hippies and yoga studios over here. I live in a 60/70s era neighborhood and one of my neighbors is a well known photographer. I have a friend in another similar neighborhood who is a full time painter. I know tons of artists actually, and they live all around, probably some even in brand new HOA subdivisions, but probably not in purple houses.

We currently live in a 1-level ranch built in 1974. Have done tons of updating, I am not afraid of sweat equity. I think I'm one of the rare people who adore the 70's contemporary style homes, for their large long windows, angular shapes, and odd niches. We definitely are not in the 300k range, so Chapel Hill is likely out of the game, unless it's a rental or a fixer with the right kinds of changes needed.

On another note, living closer to one of the universities might be beneficial since I might start applying for my MFA (Master in Fine Arts) within the next two years. Weirdly enough, you can't teach art in any school without it....what a nuisance! I have decades of experience in SFX sculpting, airbrushing, oil painting, advertising, murals, you name it...I've probably done it. So, MFA.

Besides ART is the PERFECT OBSESSION, because it has no end!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Also, when in Durham, don't forget to check out The Scrap Exchange in Lakewood Shopping Center. It's definitely a good resource if you're a crafty person. Not too far from there, you have a pretty vibrant arts scene downtown, and you also have the Nasher museum of art. Centerfest, which is a big art festival is also happening soon as well, and there's people out selling arts and crafts.
Good info! I will, thank you! I have to say, I loved Durham when we toured it several years ago. The renovated tobacco site downtown is neat, the older, funky homes...Just a little worried about crime, and the schools don't seem to be very good from what little I have found so far.

Since he will be working near the RTP and Brier Creek area, this is most certainly a viable option, so thank you again!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
You don't need to spend $300k to live in Chapel Hill. That's a misconception. You certainly could if you had that to drop, but a quick look on some of the realty websites shows several older homes in good older neighborhoods like Dogwood Acres and Ridgefield that are in the low $200k range and a couple under $200k. There are even a few popping up for new construction.

If the job is in Raleigh, though, it makes sense to concentrate on Raleigh. Plenty of funk to be found there, too.

Schools in Durham are a mixed bag, but there are some really great ones. The Durham School of the Arts was named the top high school in North Carolina a few years ago — can't remember if it was Newsweek or USNews but one of those. How old is your kiddo? Central Park School For Children is a great charter school. I know a lot of families with kids there and they almost universally love it. Crime can be bad in spots in Durham but I've never felt unsafe there. I know a lot of the artsy tribe who live in Durham and so far they haven't been shot yet and all seem to love it.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM

Woohoo! Just came from an overnight trip to Raleigh. Didn't get to check out Cary or Chapel Hill this time, mainly just the N and NW and NE ends of Raleigh. And you weren't kidding, Raleighwood...haha! Loved it. Funky, strange. We started "following our noses," and we ended up on a street where a young family with 3 kids were walking a pair OF GOATS! Yes, as pets! Perfectly normal people I'd say, but....with goats. Exactly the kind of sign I was needing!

Wake Forest was nice but I didn't get a feel for it, maybe I just too tired yesterday. I liked the Leesville Rd area, and of course some of those neighborhoods ITB were lovely to look at. "Someday homes."

Thank you again everybody for all your help! We will be returning again soon enough to explore more areas. Looks like he may be moving into the position VERY soon, and we the family will have to catch up with him later as we prep to get the house up for sale. And it's not exactly high season for the market, which is normally Spring and Summer. We'll see......

Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You don't need to spend $300k to live in Chapel Hill. That's a misconception. You certainly could if you had that to drop, but a quick look on some of the realty websites shows several older homes in good older neighborhoods like Dogwood Acres and Ridgefield that are in the low $200k range and a couple under $200k. There are even a few popping up for new construction.

If the job is in Raleigh, though, it makes sense to concentrate on Raleigh. Plenty of funk to be found there, too.

Schools in Durham are a mixed bag, but there are some really great ones. The Durham School of the Arts was named the top high school in North Carolina a few years ago — can't remember if it was Newsweek or USNews but one of those. How old is your kiddo? Central Park School For Children is a great charter school. I know a lot of families with kids there and they almost universally love it. Crime can be bad in spots in Durham but I've never felt unsafe there. I know a lot of the artsy tribe who live in Durham and so far they haven't been shot yet and all seem to love it.
I'm certainly not against Durham. My daughter is 11, an only child. She plays piano, learning violin, has ADD, and is in advanced reading and math. She has worked very, very hard to get where she is. For us, the school is probably the most important thing. Been looking at Martin Middle Magnet in Raleigh and Long leaf schools of the Arts downtown for later, but we are only just beginning to look. I will definitely look into those two schools you mentioned above. Thanks a million!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary