Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM

86 posts, read 243,018 times

Advertisements

There is an article on today's Newsobserver.newsobserver.com | Local home sales plunge (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/958890.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
One bright spot is house prices, which have continued to rise during the slowdown. The average sales price in January was $233,236, up 3.6 percent from a year ago, according to Triangle Multiple Listing Service.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Careful on interpreting the data especially on the average price rising. What that could mean is the higher priced houses are selling better than the lower price houses. This drives the average up.

Even with the numbers presented in the article I still can't think of a better housing market to be in at the moment as a buyer wanting to move to this area!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:48 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Yeah, pricing data is tough to make any sense of using a small time window. Average price was up this month, but down last month. Median price for Wake down about 2% compared to last year (and off over 12% from the summer peak before the beginnings of the credit meltdown). What does this mean for any particular house price? I wish I could tell you. OFHEO price index for Q4'07 is due out next week which will add even more data to the mix.

I do know that the Triangle MLS doesn't apply inflation adjustments to their numbers, so a 3.6% gain is negative appreciation in real dollar value.

And objectively, there are a number of areas doing better than us. We're better than some, worse than areas like Austin or Seattle. Or reverse that if you're a buyer looking for an affordable house. Down markets aren't inherently bad unless you ignored everyone's advice and bought at the peak.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Even with the numbers presented in the article I still can't think of a better housing market to be in at the moment as a buyer wanting to move to this area!
Yup! I hope the sellers of the house I'm going to look at today read this article this morning!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM

355 posts, read 1,502,944 times
I would like to hear what the real estate agents have to say about this.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
It would certainly be helpful if the numbers at least normalized to something like price per sq ft.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
They will say that stats can be misleading and the market is picking up here

By and large, I wonder if number of sales or average price is a better indicator of the market conditions - I'd tend to think the former but I am no expert.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,519 times
Default The same statistics are often...

used by both sides in a debate and made to look totaly different depending on the spin, so I am wary of paying too much attention to them unless I know the context and how they were derived. Nevertheless, we are definitely slower than last year at the same time. Keep in mind, though, that last year was a record breaker by far, as was the year 2006.
Until the larger companies sniffed out Raleigh, our local builders kept busy and maintained a fairly even supply. Large companies did create housing that was cheaper and more plentiful and for a while, we could sustain the increase. With the current financial scandal (It isn't the first and it won't be the last) many people who WANT to buy homes are hanging back, waiting to "see what will happen". That has certainly added to the problem.
I am very glad that the risky practices of the mortgage industry have come to light, I just wish it could have been some other way.
This "market correction" will affect us no matter what. We have a high proportion of first time home buyers in the Triangle and it is harder for them to get loans. That "trickles up" as the sellers of those homes have a harder time moving up. We have many people who are moving here from out of state where they cannot sell their existing home. The last straw is the lack of confidence, which is a problem in and of itself.
Interestingly enough, this is the absolute best time to buy. Prices may not have dropped like a rock, but you can bet they will be going up handily when this cycle is over. I am getting ready to buy another property myself. I know that it is one of the best long range investments possible. I do not care if "the price goes lower" next year. If I could buy IBM stock at a good price today, I am not going to sit around and wait for it to go a few dollars lower. I am snagging it now. Did anyone see the article in "Time" about this very thing?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
The BEST ADVICE that I can give anyone is that if you are moving here and you have a job and you have a family, you need a HOME.

A home can be a house or an apartment.

However, if you are buying a house in this area...Wake County, Johnston County or Durham County, PRICE DEPENDS ON THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

I can't say it enough. I see it every day. One neighborhood has houses that sell the first week they are on the market, for asking price.

Another neighborhood has houses that set on the market for months.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BASED ON THE NEIGHBORHOOD, not what the statistics say.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary