Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times

Advertisements

I work from home and have airplanes flying overhead all day. Not once has it interrupted my calls. Now, the constant mowing, weed wacking and leaf blowing -- that's another story.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I'd be more concerned with the resale value of the home than the studies about children growing up in the airplane zone. That said I have never seen any studies that suggested this. I'm mostly thinking about it from an investment perspective - if you spend 400k on a home but rule out half of your buyers by being in the fly zone then there's less competition for the house. That said Cary / Morrisville are hot areas and tend to grow, grow, grow so maybe it would be fine.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 8,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I challenge any study that connects the noise made by airplanes to developmental issues in children. I'm one of hundreds of my generation raised next to JFK, many of us who have had very successful careers
Here is one link to get started with that appears well-cited: [url]http://www.who.int/ceh/capacity/noise.pdf[/url]
A bit of googling around will produce lots more.

As far as singular anecdotal experiences (individuals who grew up near an airport but still have relatively perfect physical and mental health and so forth), I don't think any of the studies suggest that everyone who lives near an airport would necessarily be impacted. Noise contours can vary between homes in a flight path even just a few yards away, depending on what type and quantity of planes and other factors.

Starting with the first link, how would you embark on challenging the idea, and which studies would you use to support your hypothesis?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People fight for homes with air traffic noise because of the perception that Western Wake County has the best schools.
Western Wake and West Cary and Morrisville have been developing rapidly for a generation or more, and currently are the local Nexus of Best School Hysteria.
The kids seem, to me, to get by OK.

The cool thing is, if you avoid BSH, you definitely have other new construction choices and can totally avoid the issue.
There would of course be kids that get by OK in any flight path. A lot of factors like how long they live there, their susceptibility to environmental factors, etc. I read that there are higher than average clusters of autism and aspergers in some of the very areas with the "highest rated" schools, often near airports.

What is BSH?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I work from home and have airplanes flying overhead all day. Not once has it interrupted my calls. Now, the constant mowing, weed wacking and leaf blowing -- that's another story.
Interesting that you mention the yard work, as I have seen recent news about the increase in noise pollution caused by loud machinery in areas where homes are closely positioned together (which describes a lot of new neighborhoods in many areas, not just NC) potentially also having developmental effects on kids aged 1-5. Google around for it, it's an interesting subject. I suppose that plus plane noise couldn't possibly be a good thing, assuming the kids spend a lot of time inside the home. I suppose mandating electric yard tools (or just not building homes too close together) could solve that one a bit easier than avoiding use of planes.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 AM

54 posts, read 49,907 times
I had several family members who lived within the same community extremely close to a major airport and under a flight path. I have wondered if their various lung ailments were related to years of exposure to jet fuel pollution. I have no idea what altitude a plane has to reach before the emissions are not an issue.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
OP, it sounds like you need to look for a house with plenty of land for that soundproof padded underground bunker you're going to have to build for your kids.

Honestly, your posts are verging on paranoia.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Either you don't mind airplane noise, or you do. If the latter, then you probably shouldn't live in Western Cary/Morrisville.

I've never heard of any of these studies, and to be honest they seem a bit much to me. Some of the most populated urban areas have noise much greater than some airplanes once in a while.

There may be a day when western Wake isn't as desirable as it is today. Flight noise could become a resale issue then.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP, it sounds like you need to look for a house with plenty of land for that soundproof padded underground bunker you're going to have to build for your kids.

Honestly, your posts are verging on paranoia.
PLEASE !!! nobody mention we have a Nuclear Power Plant nearby .....

Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
OP, I skimmed the pdf you linked. The footnotes indicate that the studies used for references date back to (roughly) 1998-2002. The most recent citation I sawcwas 2005. I'm fairly confident that there would be many more recent studies if the scientific community thought this was a serious issue. Most of the slides were about the dangers if loud music from live concerts and too loud headphones.

As far as the reading you've done relating autism and Aspergers to noise, I'm betting those are the same authors who recommend against vaccines.

You're not alone in what I (and many others) would describe as paranoia. Meet your separated at birth twin
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary