Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,231,552 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately even when the Canes were creeping up on the Flyers for that last wild-card spot, so were several other teams. The minute that losing streak hit, the catch-up game began and they never really got back in the hunt.

This summer, the team has I believe 11 draft picks. The general consensus of this upcoming draft is that it is not going to be very strong. However, there will always be good talent available. With the success of later round picks like Slavin, Pesce, and Aho, the chances of hitting a bullseye here are pretty good. However, I also wouldn't mind if these picks were packaged as part of a trade for better forward help.

Whatever Francis decides to do, he's going to have to earn his money this off-season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 AM

4,259 posts, read 4,701,821 times
Relying on the draft alone is a slow process for a team like the Canes that has very little depth and needs help at every position. Who do the Canes have who could play in the top 9 forwards or the top 4 defensemen for any team in the league? Aho, Skinner, Staal, Slavin, possibly Rask, possibly Faulk. That's it. And certainly not Ward or Lack.

Since drafting Ward, the Canes have drafted 12 other goalies (Nastiuk, Peters, Akerlund, Murphy, Andersen, Mahalak, Altshuller, Olson, Nedeljkovic, Booth, LaFontaine, and Helvig). Only one of those, Andersen, has proved to be NHL-talent so far.. and the Canes let him get away.

Edmonton has finally been able to climb out of the cellar by drafting, but they will sell out their arena every night even if the team reeks. Not true here. Karmanos and Francis have their backs against the wall to produce quickly. Whether Karmanos is willing to spend the money in the free agent market this summer to fix the problem before nearly everyone in the Triangle loses interest, I don't know... but I've got my doubts. One or two deals for a $3M player isn't enough.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 AM

43,249 posts, read 76,999,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Relying on the draft alone is a slow process for a team like the Canes that has very little depth and needs help at every position. Who do the Canes have who could play in the top 9 forwards or the top 4 defensemen for any team in the league? Aho, Skinner, Staal, Slavin, possibly Rask, possibly Faulk. That's it. And certainly not Ward or Lack.

Edmonton has finally been able to climb out of the cellar by drafting, but they will sell out their arena every night even if the team reeks. Not true here. Karmanos and Francis have their backs against the wall to produce quickly. Whether Karmanos is willing to spend the money in the free agent market this summer to fix the problem before nearly everyone in the Triangle loses interest, I don't know... but I've got my doubts. One or two deals for a $3M player isn't enough.
Too many Scottie Pippins and not enough Michael Jordans?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Well, we made Colorado look good tonight.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 PM

Points in their last 10, they're playing their best hockey of the season right now. Still inching closer to that last spot. Two big home games against Detroit coming up.

Last time they had a streak like this? 2009.

You can do it boys.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 AM

4,259 posts, read 4,701,821 times
Playoffstatus.com says 13%. The problem the Canes have is that the four teams ahead of them (Bruins, Maple Leafs, Lightning, and Islanders) have games with one another still remaining. Somebody will win those games, which means some team ahead of the Canes will be getting 2 points from those games. It takes a very specific set of wins and losses among those four teams PLUS a near win-out by the Canes to produce the 13%. Also of those four teams, only NYI is playing more road games than home games for the remainder of the season.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Aho's second goal last night was the sort of luck one gets with a great mix of talent and effort.

We are seeing the future, growing and on display before us. This is being done by young guys.
9-3-5 since the trade deadline when a couple of veterans were let go in favor of youth.
7-0-3 in the last 10.
I'll take the miracle this year if I can get it, but will look forward to next year if I cannot.

It's the time of year when you look back at 8 or 10 losses and think, "Oh. If only..."

Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 AM

Hurricanes Doing What They Do

Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Eddie Lack seriously hurt at the end of the game. Did not look good.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Eddie Lack seriously hurt at the end of the game. Did not look good.
Nope. Scary stuff.
But, he gave a thumbs up on his way out.

Canes really hung him out to dry tonight. Yeah, he gave up 3 goals on breakaways. Juicy turnovers let that happen.
Just one of those games where I never had the feeling that the Canes were going to win.
If Eddie wasn't hurt, getting a point would have been exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary