Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,415,230 times

Advertisements

Well, let me add my 0.2 - I work at Duke as a nurse practitioner and love it! Maybe my department is different than what others have experienced in their respective departments but it is pretty close knit, warm and welcoming. I've been told many times how much I am appreciated and I feel my work is valued. I haven't felt the "bite" of office politics. Because of my experience, I was hired in toward the top end of my pay scale so I am actually making slightly more than I did back in New England. I am lucky enough to be an exempt monthly employee and am enrolled in their 403b matched retirement plan which is phenomenal. Yes, I pay for parking, about $50/month which is new to me and about the only downside I've found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM

635 posts, read 1,616,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Well, let me add my 0.2 - I work at Duke as a nurse practitioner and love it! Maybe my department is different than what others have experienced in their respective departments but it is pretty close knit, warm and welcoming. I've been told many times how much I am appreciated and I feel my work is valued. I haven't felt the "bite" of office politics.
I am on the University side (ie. not a nurse) and my experience has happily been the same! I also agree with another poster that there's great job security and it can breed mediocrity. I have interacted with some really clueless and ineffective people at Duke but have noticed that those who are very competent tend to get noticed and promoted (though often out of their current dept). On the Univ side, there's not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within one's own dept. such that the primary way to get a higher level/better paying position is to jump ship to another department.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:57 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,415,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
I am on the University side (ie. not a nurse) and my experience has happily been the same! I also agree with another poster that there's great job security and it can breed mediocrity. I have interacted with some really clueless and ineffective people at Duke but have noticed that those who are very competent tend to get noticed and promoted (though often out of their current dept). On the Univ side, there's not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within one's own dept. such that the primary way to get a higher level/better paying position is to jump ship to another department.
So glad to hear that you are also having a positive experience within the Duke system. I'm certain the medical and academic sides are different, yet they are so intertwined given the medical school/residencies etc. IO wish you a long and happy career.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,088 times
I pay $40/month for health,dental,vision insurance. Most people pay >$100/month. How is that not "Good Benefits"?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 23,993 times
HI Jill:

Thanks for responding. I am looking for work as a project coordinator/project manager or marketing. I've got 7 - 10 years experience, mid level management and I'm either sadly told (by a standard response generator) that I'm over-qualified, or the position has been filledby an internal candidate or someone whose background more closely met the requirements.

Thanks for responding.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,006 times
I see people saying you have to work in a certain area to get these benefits. Would I.T. be qualified?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,921,888 times
There are many IT departments. Mainly, there is OIT for the university, and DHTS for the hospital. But there are also IT folks in individual departments, so it really depends. The main difference in benefits is if you work for the University or the Hospital though.

My husband is in DHTS, so he has hospital benefits, which do not include the tuition benefit for your kids. The whole PTO system is different as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:37 PM

169 posts, read 778,087 times
Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, it's helping me now with my Duke job search. There is one particular position I'm about to apply for, for which I'm perfect... Is there really no hope of getting the job from applying through the general HR website? Should I call up the department in question and ask them if I can send my resume to them personally? I haven't lived here that long, and my only contacts at Duke are in the hospital area, which I'm not applying to.

Has anyone successfully gotten a job through Duke's online application system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary