Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM

688 posts, read 3,030,206 times

Advertisements

We are taking a quick tour of NC and have one Saturday afternoon and evening to spend in Raleigh before catching a flight on Sunday.

So - what should we do, where should we stay, and where should we eat to really get a quick highlight of what the city has to offer?

I've never been in Raleigh before other than driving through, so I would love to try to get some good experiences in before we have to leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM

3,380 posts, read 7,736,653 times
Unless you feel you need to stay near the airport for an early flight, I'd suggest staying downtown. The Sheraton is a pretty good location for exploring museums and nightlife. From there you can walk down Fayetteville Street to the Capitol Building. On the other side of it are a couple of good museums (Natural History and NC History).

2 Blocks over and one block up from Fayetteville Street from the Capitol is the Moore Sq/City Market area. Caffe Luna is a great Italian place - very lively. Pour House is a good place to catch live music. There are galleries at City Market (Artspace, for one).

A few blocks the other way is the Power Station area with some cool places (Napper Tandy's Irish pub, 42nd Street Oyster Bar is a very fun seafood place with live music). Around the corner from there is the very popular Glennwood South area (Enoteca Vin is great if you love wine, Sullivan's Steak House, Bogarts, Hibernian Pub, etc).

That would definitely fill up an afternoon and evening.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM

688 posts, read 3,030,206 times
Thanks - that's exactly the info I needed! It sounds like there will be several good options downtown.

I would prefer NOT to end up in a generic airport hotel if we can help it.

Are the areas you mentioned all pretty walkable? Will we be able to park easily? Is it relatively safe? I've spent a lot of time in cities, so I'm aware of the common sense issues in any city, but is it common for people to be walking through those areas at night?

Thanks again!!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,736,653 times
The individual legs I mentioned are all very walkable. But they add up. If you are stopping after one and doing something for awhile, then moving on to the next leg it isn't too bad. But if you are trying to go from one extreme end to the other it is a bit much. For instance, when we stayed at the Sheraton for New Year's Eve a few year back, we cabbed it to Glenwood South.

All those areas are fairly safe. You might have a homeless person approach, but that is about it (they tend to congregate in the park at Moore Sq).

Parking is generally pretty plentiful. I've only paid for parking on weekends maybe twice in 20 years downtown when something big was going on.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 AM

94 posts, read 314,952 times
Resturants: In Raleigh on Glenwood...DEFINATELY the RedRoom. Spanish Tapas! Amazing atmosphere...Excellent service...Classy "Joint"...Fair prices. Depending on the night...Live Salsa music and dance floor. Not your thing... Irish pub across the street with great food, ambiance and again...Live Music. Whatever you find I hope you ENJOY!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,040,699 times
If walking becomes a hassle, you can always take the "Raleigh Rickshaw" pedicabs. They bike you from place to place for tips only. But, please tip them! http://www.raleighrickshaw.com/
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary