Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Curious about people's thoughts on this:

Cary high school serves students who dedicate time to outside interests, activities :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:13 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I think it's great if you have a kid for whom traditional school hours don't work. I'm not sure the need is all that great here, but it's a good idea.

The student sure has to be dedicated to whatever it is they are doing outside school, though. They miss out on a lot, but I guess they don't have time for those extras anyway.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it's great if you have a kid for whom traditional school hours don't work. I'm not sure the need is all that great here, but it's a good idea.

The student sure has to be dedicated to whatever it is they are doing outside school, though. They miss out on a lot, but I guess they don't have time for those extras anyway.
There are a few girls in my daughters' dance school who are attending Crossroads Flex. Their only other option would have been homeschooling, so it's working out well for them.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:05 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I guess my only beef is so many educational institutions offering online options. Prior it seemed like only colleges, and this is the first high school I've seen.

I just think as a whole online-learning is sub-par. I see so many people getting advanced degrees through online programs and it's hard for me to take seriously.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
I have a niece that takes advantage of such a program in another state. She is a top level gymnast and that takes a lot of dedication. Generally, when you have such a driven kid, they are generally just as driven with their academic studies.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I have a niece that takes advantage of such a program in another state. She is a top level gymnast and that takes a lot of dedication. Generally, when you have such a driven kid, they are generally just as driven with their academic studies.
I agree with this. I agree with you, OP, about some online degrees. Who knows who is actually doing the work there too. In this case the kids do have a physical school to go to and check in with real teachers.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I think it's a great option! As long as the academics are comparable and the child is committed to something else I don't see any problems with it. It basically just cuts out the wasted time during the day (lunch, homeroom, electives (ie - forcing a kid to take gym who already competes in gymnastics), changing classes). It's a better option than homeschool for many families.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess my only beef is so many educational institutions offering online options. Prior it seemed like only colleges, and this is the first high school I've seen.

I just think as a whole online-learning is sub-par. I see so many people getting advanced degrees through online programs and it's hard for me to take seriously.
I'm almost through another masters through an online program offered by Wake Forest University. Has the same staff and the same curriculum as the on-campus program and requires residencies each year so that we can meet with faculty and staff in person (instead of via WebEx) so that they can see how we're doing and whether we meet their program requirements.

How is that "sub par?"

We're not talking Capella University here.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 AM

Also, Crossroads Flex does require in-residence hours. Most students only need 10 hours a week on campus. Others need more. Depends on their grades.

Tell me, do you also think that homeschooling is inferior? Because I know homeschooled kids who have managed to gain admission to some great universities. With academic scholarships, in some cases.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I think it's a great option! As long as the academics are comparable and the child is committed to something else I don't see any problems with it. It basically just cuts out the wasted time during the day (lunch, homeroom, electives (ie - forcing a kid to take gym who already competes in gymnastics), changing classes). It's a better option than homeschool for many families.
Agreed. My daughter wants to do it just on general principle. She's not into the high school "social" scene and is someone who is more alert from about 11am onward, so the first few hours of the day in HS are her being drowsy and struggling to retain info, no matter how early she goes to bed.

But, alas, she gets a day job at Starbucks or something and applies, they won't let her in because she doesn't have an outside reason for being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary