Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
YOU and those like you are the exact reason we are having a problem to start with. You abandon your normal buying habits because of panic and the end result is a mess for all. You normally buy a loaf of bread a week, forecast a hurricane and you grab 3 ...... take it easy, the world isn't coming to an end.
My niece is stuck out of town & can't find gas .
Had she filled up this weekend she would be fine..

Planning ahead is not panic..

Old 09-19-2016, 03:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
It's called good planning, no panicking whatsoever. And your analogy fails because I did not get 3 tanks of gas, I got one.

YOU and those like you, with an empty tank of gas, and no way to get to work tomorrow, may start panicking soon...
only because of YOU and those like you who are sitting there with a FULL TANK of gas shacking in your boots.
There is ample gas available, the issue is PANIC buyers throwing the supply system off balance. I will not run out of gas but I will have to endure long lines because of your self-centered me-me-me attitude and reactions to anything not totally the norm.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
only because of YOU and those like you who are sitting there with a FULL TANK of gas shacking in your boots.
There is ample gas available, the issue is PANIC buyers throwing the supply system off balance. I will not run out of gas but I will have to endure long lines because of your self-centered me-me-me attitude and reactions to anything not totally the norm.

Plan ahead. I would also suggest contributing to your 401K up to the company match, and then switching over to a Roth. You will thank me in about 40 years!

Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Here's a thought........the people who topped off their gas this weekend would have most likely gotten gas sometime this week anyways! So would you rather get gas this past weekend or wait a few days and risk not having any gas available when you really need it?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:52 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I'm not buying this whole "panicked buying" thing being the issue. Again, gas is not something you can hoard. It's not like people are pulling up to the pump and filling 3-4 tanks full of gas. They aren't putting 30 gallons of gas in a 14 gallon tank. The situation is so far from analogous to the "white things" pre blizzard run it's ridiculous. I'm guessing a lot of people gas up on the way to work on Mondays, and would rather not stop if not necessary on a day when it's monsooning.

I last got gas on Friday night at the new Sheetz at Park West Village. There were only a few other cars there getting gas - not crowded at all, and this is a new and lower priced Sheetz at the corner of a busy shopping center on a Friday night. The next day they were out of gas. They were out of gas because no gas delivery was made, and no gas delivery was made because there was none to deliver. They weren't out of gas because there was a run on it the night before.

Lines are forming because people are driving to stations that DO have gas.

I'm as guilty as anyone of letting my tank get down close to "E" and after living thru the great blackout of August 2003 (came perilously close to running out that day, got gas right before the power went out and I was on "E"), and the aftermath of Sandy in NY (which was no fun considering could have been here in NC in comfort LOL) I should know better.

And that's why I got gas on Friday when I had half a tank, and that should last me two weeks.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:53 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I filled up at a BP station near my office on 4000 Wake Forest Road. It was crazy. Not lines exactly but people coming in from all different directions. One guy finished and wanted to back up to get out, but someone came in behind him and wouldn't move.

My partner doesn't believe he needs to get gas. He has enough for a few days.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:

Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
It's called good planning, no panicking whatsoever. And your analogy fails because I did not get 3 tanks of gas, I got one.

YOU and those like you, with an empty tank of gas, and no way to get to work tomorrow, may start panicking soon...
No, so many people did what you did "topped off their tank" on every vehicle in the household, even those they didn't drive regularly, plus many filled several gas cans; some even filled up their boats and riding lawn mowers. Because they panicked. And got greedy and wanted to make sure they got all they need, screw the rest of the people. Those of us who only fill up every couple of weeks had trouble finding gas because all the panickers had to "top of their tanks" when they really didn't need gas in the first place and probably could have driven another week+ on the gas they had.

FWIW, my husband had a road trip Saturday morning and filled up on his way back to our town. We didn't panic when I couldn't find gas nearby on our way home that afternoon because we knew he had enough in his car to get us through until the end of the week or even the beginning of next week.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:08 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
No, so many people did what you did "topped off their tank" on every vehicle in the household, even those they didn't drive regularly, plus many filled several gas cans; some even filled up their boats and riding lawn mowers. Because they panicked. And got greedy and wanted to make sure they got all they need, screw the rest of the people.
What evidence do you have to bring you to such a difinitive conclusion? Source please?

Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
What evidence do you have to bring you to such a difinitive conclusion? Source please?
common sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary