Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
This seems shocking to me as well as there has been an emphasis to add more areas for dogs and their owners. I see them in Home Depot and Lowe's Lumber all the time now. I have seen one in a Harris Teeter shopping cart with its own home made blanket protector for the cart area. I have seen them in Costco's as Service Dogs as well as non labeled dogs. So banning them from a outdoor garden seems a bit extreme.

But as the other posters have written they will take their dogs elsewhere......2 <Ruff> <Ruff> down for that policy!

P.S. I speculate the Duke Cat was behind this move!
HD and Lowes I heard about but does Harris Teeter allow them or is it a case of someone ignoring store rules? I'd be surprised if a food store allowed non-service dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Yeah, I was surprised to find out they were allowed and had been since the gardens were created - I'm there with my dog at least three times a week! Duke West Campus was suggested as an alternative but I'm kind of hesitant to pay for parking to walk my dog.

I rarely walk her in my immediate neighborhood anymore because of the off leash dogs, especially two of them, and the owners who refuse to change their ways.

Duke East Campus is a good place to go as well.
My first experience at the garden was wonderful. It's just as well I didn't have my dogs with me, because I was there for hours and my dogs are too old for that kind of thing.

I was also surprised that the only thing I paid for was parking. I'm used to the NY Botanical Gardens which, granted, are much larger, but can be quite pricey. And is definitely not dog friendly.

I really hope this doesn't become a trend though because I'm looking forward to dog walks at the area parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I sense an explosion of emotional support animals coming soon.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
There should be a limit to just where dogs/pets are allowed. I surely don't want to be using a shopping cart at HT or Costco that was just a stroller for a dog.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
I wish I could ban dogs from my yard, too many inconsiderate owners who allow them to poop and dig wherever they please.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
There should be a limit to just where dogs/pets are allowed. I surely don't want to be using a shopping cart at HT or Costco that was just a stroller for a dog.
I want that! Wait, dogs aren't allowed at HT or Costco. I don't want that either.

Was distracted by the puppeh

Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 9,210 times
I love animals. All animals. But I don't love when I go to a Raleigh restaurant with outdoor seating on a nice day, and people have brought their dogs to do the same. A nice breeze comes along and the air is filled with stinky DOG. I've experienced it at Lily's Pizza (hopefully they've banned that by now, it's been 2-3 years since I've been there for that reason alone) and a few other places including a Starbucks also in Raleigh. I think it's totally inconsiderate to all the other patrons of dog owners to bring their dogs to sit at these places. It's also inconsiderate to their dogs... they always look so sad, and have to sit there and smell food, etc. Mean.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM

duke gardens isn't a restaurant

Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
duke gardens isn't a restaurant
Um, I know. Hence the reason I used the word "restaurant" and not "park." I was adding my .02 worth about dogs in public places. My .02 is as valid as your .02. A shopping cart is not duke gardens either, so? We all get a say, NorasMom.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Um, ok. The thread is about Duke Gardens, but have at it.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
I wish I could ban dogs from my yard, too many inconsiderate owners who allow them to poop and dig wherever they please.
Me too. We finally decided to supply a storage of poo baggies at our mailbox, for dog walkers to use, since so many seem to feel it's ok not to clean up in other peoples' yards. Some use them, some don't. What did happen positively, though, was that the regulars learned we noticed, so they now walk their dogs across the street instead of right at our yard. Meh, small victories. The kids in our neighborhood are MUCH better at cleaning up after their dogs than their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary