Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

How often is everyone having preventative maintenance done?

All our equipment was replaced I think 4-5 years ago. We've been going with twice a year, but to be honest the company we use comes out, does whatever for an hour, and writes "everything in good working order" on the invoice.

What exactly should be done twice a year, and is it even necessary on newer equipment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Yellow Dot has quite an extensive list of checks and cleans the unit twice a year for like $160. I am starting up in October my unit is in a new house and is only two years old. Better safe than sorry I guess but in my old house I don't recall ever doing much of anything for years other than replacing filters.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
How often is everyone having preventative maintenance done? ...
You didn't specify your type of HVAC. An oil- or gas-fueled furnace should be tuned up every autumn before the onset of the heating season.

IMHO a heat pump does not need routine care done by a technician. The homeowner should change the filter(s) routinely. If the condensate drain pipe becomes clogged the homeowner can blow it out by mouth, same as inflating a child's party balloon. If the system has a malfunction, then call the service man.

On occasion I had my heat pump "serviced" by professionals. They check the refrigerant pressures and declare them to be satisfactory. They replace one filter. (If your house has more than one, that's an extra charge.) They may do a soft sell for an overpriced UV mold-inhibiter. They may measure your air handler capacitor, tell you it is 6% below spec, and do a soft sell for an overpriced replacement.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
You didn't specify your type of HVAC. An oil- or gas-fueled furnace should be tuned up every autumn before the onset of the heating season.

IMHO a heat pump does not need routine care done by a technician. The homeowner should change the filter(s) routinely. If the condensate drain pipe becomes clogged the homeowner can blow it out by mouth, same as inflating a child's party balloon. If the system has a malfunction, then call the service man.

On occasion I had my heat pump "serviced" by professionals. They check the refrigerant pressures and declare them to be satisfactory. They replace one filter. (If your house has more than one, that's an extra charge.) They may do a soft sell for an overpriced UV mold-inhibiter. They may measure your air handler capacitor, tell you it is 6% below spec, and do a soft sell for an overpriced replacement.

Embarrassingly, I don't know. I come from the land of all furnaces, so I don't even know what a heat pump would look like.

I have a combo unit that sits outside for the first floor. 2nd floor has the AC unit outside, and a unit upstairs in the attic.

I should probably figure it out

Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Embarrassingly, I don't know. ...
If your house is in a subdivision where all nearby houses were built by the same builder at the same time, ask your neighbors what type of HVAC they have. For reasons of efficiency and economy heat pumps are rarely seen in the the snow belt but are in common use in central North Carolina and points south.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:04 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I've heard good things about Yellowdot, but their 2 system price for 1 year maintenance (includes 2 checks) I thought was too much at $250. I guess this would be a gas furnace inspection around Oct and an A/C inspection in May?

I heard a lot about people doing preventive maintenance these days. In my old house also, we didn't do anything except change the filters. Then around 10 years or more, the systems would need replacement. Are these systems more complicated these days than before?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I get a service for heat in the fall and a air conditioning service in the spring. My system is 24 years old and still kicking. No costly repairs yet, but it's time is probably just about up.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:42 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
Unless you are having issues with the unit I don't think you need to have it serviced. Put the 100 in your bank and save it for your next unit. All you need to make sure you do is clean your coils once a year (you can buy the spray at home depot) and change your air filters regularly.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 AM

I just checked my invoice from the spring - I paid $202 dollars. Description of work says "Checked all AC componets (sic). Everything is working properly".

I don't think I'll be going with them again.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Performing maintenance twice a year provides a very nice revenue stream for the HVAC companies. In my opinion, an annual inspection/cleaning is all that is typically necessary. If you have it done in the spring or the fall they can generally test both the air and the heat. Keep in mind that during a "good" service, there are some tests performed that are more than just cleaning coils and typically beyond the scope of the average homeowners ability. While some may claim maintenance is not necessary unless you have a problem, I would disagree. Properly maintaning the system results in more efficient operation (lower cost) and can alert you to issues that may be quite expensive if you neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary