Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 PM

79 posts, read 94,098 times

Advertisements

Hello folks-

Well, here I find myself a professional laid off in the Triangle after 10 years of service at a big digital advertising company. The last month has been... interesting to say the least! After doing lots of research and homework (including throwing many carefully keyworded and optimized resumes at the robotic applicant systems) I have come to the conclusion that the best way to get a new job is via networking. I knew this going in, but it's still amazing just how little response I've gotten from anywhere that has an applicant tracking system.

So my question to you is, what are some good local area events that I could be attending? Specifically for networking? Socially? I'm already a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, and may pick up more volunteer work. Also taking some classes to brush up on skills.

Those that have been laid off, any advice? How did you structure your job hunt? What worked and what didn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
I'm a horrible networker...but church. Church is a great way to network. Not sure if that is something you would consider but many have success with it.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I know it's not a local event, but since you didnt mention it, get on Linkedin if you aren't already on there.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I'm not sure if this will work, but it might.

Maybe head over to The Frontier in RTP - a coworking spot that is free at the most basic level (I think that means grab a chair). They have food truck rodeos, other networking events. So head over there to spruce up your LinkedIn and do some job searching, and talk to people there - seems like you're in a field that may be popular there?

Disclaimer: I've never been there. I telecommute so always mean to go there, but am rarely presentable enough.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshinokaze View Post
Hello folks-

Well, here I find myself a professional laid off in the Triangle after 10 years of service at a big digital advertising company. The last month has been... interesting to say the least! After doing lots of research and homework (including throwing many carefully keyworded and optimized resumes at the robotic applicant systems) I have come to the conclusion that the best way to get a new job is via networking. I knew this going in, but it's still amazing just how little response I've gotten from anywhere that has an applicant tracking system.

So my question to you is, what are some good local area events that I could be attending? Specifically for networking? Socially? I'm already a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, and may pick up more volunteer work. Also taking some classes to brush up on skills.

Those that have been laid off, any advice? How did you structure your job hunt? What worked and what didn't?
You've been happily employed for the past ten years and I can assure you the landscape has changed drastically since then. You will not recognize it almost. The more flexible you are the more options open to you - especially if you expand your geographic options. To give you an idea, Im in a large metropolitan area and within the past year we posted a specialized job posting requiring a PhD and at least five years of experience - we received no less than 80 resumes at least half of who were qualified! The past year has also seen some slowdowns and several other backfill positions are on hold.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:30 PM

332 posts, read 397,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm not sure if this will work, but it might.

Maybe head over to The Frontier in RTP - a coworking spot that is free at the most basic level (I think that means grab a chair). They have food truck rodeos, other networking events. So head over there to spruce up your LinkedIn and do some job searching, and talk to people there - seems like you're in a field that may be popular there?

Disclaimer: I've never been there. I telecommute so always mean to go there, but am rarely presentable enough.
I am so glad you posted about this coworking space. I can't believe it's free. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Check out the North Hills Networking FB page

Old 09-25-2016, 07:35 AM

609 posts, read 505,553 times
Join meetup.com ... there are lots of groups you can join based on your interest ...

Old 09-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Hey all, thanks for the replies! I've had a busy week, things have been going much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000
Church
Not opposed to church, recently learned that many of them actually have job seeker groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378
Linkedin
Yep, absolutely am on there and use it daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom
Wow, thank you for this! I have never heard of this, but it's just right around the corner from me. If nothing else, this would be a great place to go for a few hours a day just to get out of the rut of sitting at home and browsing job boards. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel
You've been happily employed for the past ten years and I can assure you the landscape has changed drastically since then. You will not recognize it almost. The more flexible you are the more options open to you - especially if you expand your geographic options. To give you an idea, Im in a large metropolitan area and within the past year we posted a specialized job posting requiring a PhD and at least five years of experience - we received no less than 80 resumes at least half of who were qualified! The past year has also seen some slowdowns and several other backfill positions are on hold.
Yes, almost everything about it has changed, I've had to re-learn so many things. And I try to avoid looking at the numbers on LinkedIn where it shows you how many applicants have applied to a job. I wondered for a while what I was doing wrong, because I would apply to jobs that quite literally were my dream job, only to never hear a thing from a recruiter or hiring manager. It really got me down because of the sheer number of people that were applying to the job, and how many of them had similar qualifications.

Geography is the one thing that I'm less flexible with, I really want to remain in the greater Raleigh Durham area. I would consider things just a little further out, but I absolutely love the area. I probably could have relocated with my last company and found somewhere to land, but it would have been in Dallas TX, no family, no friends, 16 hours away from any of them. Just couldn't do it.

Where I am flexible is industry. I have experience in graphic design, instructional design and training, and have held several analyst roles in operations and client success. There are many jobs that I could do and do well, but that's where I'm having a bit of a problem, because many jobs are very specific. So, I've tried to narrow things down a bit, and am spending a lot of time going after some of the skills these jobs ask for through sites like Lynda.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot
Check out the North Hills Networking FB page
Just joined the meetup group, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary
Join meetup.com ... there are lots of groups you can join based on your interest ...
Done and done, thank you!

Once again, appreciate all your replies, great advice, you've helped me a ton!

Old 09-25-2016, 12:24 PM

Forgot to mention, also doing some volunteer work.

If anyone would be interested in graphic design, videography and editing, or photography work for your volunteer organization, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary