Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 08:49 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,681 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend someone who can "restore" an exterior wood door? I should've taken care of it last year, but didn't. It's a large, double door, and a chore I don't want to undertake myself for fear of messing it up (same reason I don't want hubby to do it; his philosophy is "if less is good, more is better" ). It's undercover of a porch, but does get a bit of late sun and any driven rain.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 01:26 PM

260 posts, read 638,191 times
I have same situation and will be looking for recommendation too.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
This https://goo.gl/ckVONS plus this https://goo.gl/quMWDL if you have rot. You can easily sand and paint once hardened. I use it all the time.

Sand and prime with this https://goo.gl/Vpe3uB - absolutely the best primer for painting over paint. It is elastomeric.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM

650 posts, read 929,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
Can anyone recommend someone who can "restore" an exterior wood door? I should've taken care of it last year, but didn't. It's a large, double door, and a chore I don't want to undertake myself for fear of messing it up (same reason I don't want hubby to do it; his philosophy is "if less is good, more is better" ). It's undercover of a porch, but does get a bit of late sun and any driven rain.
Thanks!
This quote is from nextdoorneighbor.com.

Tell him Craig Watts sent you.

Front door refinishing DIY or hire me.

Robert Winstead from Dutchman Downs · 14 Sep

Hello neighbors,

I've really enjoyed refinishing front doors in Dutchman Downs, Grewyhawk Landing, Lochmere, Churchhill Estates, and the surrounding neighborhoods. If your door finish is fading, peeling, or completely gone make sure to take care of it before the wood begins to turn gray.

For you DIY types here's the 10 day process:

1.Remove the weather striping. Remove the door hardware except for the deadbolt.
Power sand the entire door with 220 grit sand paper. Hand sand with a sponge sanding block all other areas. Blow or vacuum the door, Wipe all the dust off with a rag and mineral spirits.
2. Stain the door as needed. Wait 24 hours.
3. Coat the door with three coats of spar urethane one coat per day over the next three days. Lightly sand with 220 between coats.
4. Re-install the door hardware.
5.Wait 5-7 days before installing the weather stripping to ensure it doesn't stick to the finish.
6. Maintenance: To ensure it always looking like new, once a year lightly sand with 220 grit sand paper and re-coat with one coat of spar.

DIY or contact me if you'd like a quote for your door. Please visit the web site for pictures of doors and more info.

Thanks,
Bob Winstead
www.yourdesignbuildassociates.com
919-348-5143

Old 09-23-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
This quote is from nextdoorneighbor.com.

Tell him Craig Watts sent you.

Front door refinishing DIY or hire me.

Robert Winstead from Dutchman Downs · 14 Sep

Hello neighbors,

I've really enjoyed refinishing front doors in Dutchman Downs, Grewyhawk Landing, Lochmere, Churchhill Estates, and the surrounding neighborhoods. If your door finish is fading, peeling, or completely gone make sure to take care of it before the wood begins to turn gray.

For you DIY types here's the 10 day process:

1.Remove the weather striping. Remove the door hardware except for the deadbolt.
Power sand the entire door with 220 grit sand paper. Hand sand with a sponge sanding block all other areas. Blow or vacuum the door, Wipe all the dust off with a rag and mineral spirits.
2. Stain the door as needed. Wait 24 hours.
3. Coat the door with three coats of spar urethane one coat per day over the next three days. Lightly sand with 220 between coats.
4. Re-install the door hardware.
5.Wait 5-7 days before installing the weather stripping to ensure it doesn't stick to the finish.
6. Maintenance: To ensure it always looking like new, once a year lightly sand with 220 grit sand paper and re-coat with one coat of spar.

DIY or contact me if you'd like a quote for your door. Please visit the web site for pictures of doors and more info.

Thanks,
Bob Winstead
www.yourdesignbuildassociates.com
919-348-5143
What he said if it is not painted.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info, Supernc. I appreciate it!

The door is mahogany with mahogany stain.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
Thanks for the info, Supernc. I appreciate it!

The door is mahogany with mahogany stain.
https://www.amazon.com/ROS20VSK-120-...orbital+sander

https://www.amazon.com/Mirka-23-615-...QF0TSC3FSV4BKN

Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 AM

Bumping for J Biggs request for info.

We're very happy with our freshly restored door. My husband said the cost was definitely worth it. These doors cost way too much money to not be taken care of, and we'd let it go so long (because it didn't come with instructions, lol) that it needed more than just a light sanding and coat of urethane (the suggested yearly upkeep).

Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM

48 posts, read 66,407 times
Thanks Tabbycats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary