Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
That has to be a fairly recent phenomenon. Previously, hordes of parents never drove their cars to the bustop and waited there.

Also, they seldom accompanied their children to the bustop.

I see that happening in neighborhoods that are reasonably safe, too. I don't get it.
Many neighborhoods do not have sidewalks but we do have cars that race through on curving roads. These cars also are going so quick I have seen one fail to stop for a STOPPED bus. That is why people in my neighborhood walk with the elementary school kids to the bus stop. They are also cutting back on bus stops so some are further away so watching your kid walk is not an option because the bus stop is .2 miles from the house. At least the ones walking with the kids can't be construed as lazy but I am sure they will be labeled "helicopter" parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
It is always shocking to see the lack of sidewalks in neighborhoods around here - you don't need them on slow residential streets but they are an absolute must on 35 mph+ streets.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't get parents who drive to the bus stop either. If they are on their way directly to work - fine. I usually wait in my car in front of my house for the bus to come because they are so unreliable (see my above post) - can't leave for work till she gets on the bus because what if it doesn't come? Otherwise it's just a time thing, I think - when the elementary school bus comes at 6:45, you tend to run on a tight schedule.

How do you know the bus is there if you are in front of your house?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
How do you know the bus is there if you are in front of your house?
I can see the bus stop which is two short blocks behind my car. As soon as I see it pulling up I am out of there.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Many neighborhoods do not have sidewalks but we do have cars that race through on curving roads. These cars also are going so quick I have seen one fail to stop for a STOPPED bus. That is why people in my neighborhood walk with the elementary school kids to the bus stop. They are also cutting back on bus stops so some are further away so watching your kid walk is not an option because the bus stop is .2 miles from the house. At least the ones walking with the kids can't be construed as lazy but I am sure they will be labeled "helicopter" parents.
Yeah the helicopter designation is a bit ridiculous, I am the youngest of five kids and I started school in 1972, not exactly known as the era of helicopter parenting, and my mother walked me to the bus stop (my siblings were out of elementary school by then). And I lived on a dead end street with no traffic except the people who lived there.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
WCPSS mandates that there be an adult present with kindergarten and 1st grade students. I think they instituted that after a rash of dropping little kids off at the wrong stops a few years ago.
Oh, ok... that sheds more light on things.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
It takes 10 min for us to drive to/from school. The bus assigned to us would take 45 min (if it'd even arrive on time). I don't see a point to waste 1.5 hrs of our kid's life daily. However, my husband got carpool timed perfectly and he arrives just in time not to idle on the side of the road. According to him, the moms who arrive way early seem to have some kind of social club going on.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
It takes 10 min for us to drive to/from school. The bus assigned to us would take 45 min (if it'd even arrive on time). I don't see a point to waste 1.5 hrs of our kid's life daily. However, my husband got carpool timed perfectly and he arrives just in time not to idle on the side of the road. According to him, the moms who arrive way early seem to have some kind of social club going on.
If he gets there just as he can roll through, there's no way he can possibly notice this; and I've waited at car pool at several schools and have never seen this - I think your husband is telling you some tall tales.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If he gets there just as he can roll through, there's no way he can possibly notice this; and I've waited at car pool at several schools and have never seen this - I think your husband is telling you some tall tales.
Believe it not this does happen at our school. I was leaving the building about 1 hour prior to dismissal and there were a few cars parked, lined up for carpool. The parents/grandparents were out of the car in their folding chairs hanging out! I think it has become a social club meeting. It amazes me whenever I see it.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:46 AM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It is always shocking to see the lack of sidewalks in neighborhoods around here - you don't need them on slow residential streets but they are an absolute must on 35 mph+ streets.
Starting to look at homes and I have also had that reaction. They are practically a given (on both sides of the street no less!) everywhere else I've lived, here it seems like they are an exception outside of downtown's here. I get the lack of basements (soil). Areas without sidewalks/garages and the obsession with HOAs is a puzzle to me.

Sorry, slight tangent. It's weird though and I've been thinking I was the only one who noticed the sidewalk thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary