Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times

Advertisements

La Farm going DT is a big step. Mayton Inn - big step. I like those projects. You're right.

Given the ToC's treatment of current tenants during their multi-year botched street/pipework effort, this has likely scared folks off. ToC has not had a vision, they do a horrible job recruiting local businesses that fit into that vision, because there is none. They will let anyone come in who wants to take a chance cut them a check and fail, versus creating a thriving downtown community. Any success experienced by business owners downtown has been in spite of ToC's efforts, not because of them. There IS a recruiting effort that needs to be done, and it starts with treating your current business partners with respect and a real interest in contributing to their success. They haven't done that. Mayton Inn is a perfect example - we went there for dinner a few Sat nights ago - 3 tables, basically empty. DT Cary is where business owners with high aspirations hearing lots of grandiose empty promises from ToC go to die.

Downtown Apex, with much less resources, has improved more over the last 5 years than DT Cary. Go to Apex on a Thursday night and you'll see more outdoor dining and life with a fraction of the space/anchors than DT Cary because their township has a clue. It's not perfect either, but its sad that they have surpassed DT Cary.

With a revitalization plan led by people who can actually attract the right businesses and SUPPORT their success, Cary could be something. Or it can remain the sleepy little downtown street where people go to get hot dogs or get their tires swapped, and where local business owners see their dreams flushed down the tubes (Dorry's, Unvine'd, Klara's, Belle, Maximillians once and probably twice....should I keep going?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 04:17 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
You do realize that nearly all the real estate for lease in downtown is privately owned right? The City does not own or have any say in what is leased to what kind of business in privately owned properties, as long as they fit zoning, which cannot be narrowly crafted to favor one tenant or another. Due to the pesky old constitution. You are posting things that are simply off base on many levels .

Old 10-03-2016, 06:36 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
With a revitalization plan led by people who can actually attract the right businesses and SUPPORT their success, Cary could be something. Or it can remain the sleepy little downtown street where people go to get hot dogs or get their tires swapped, and where local business owners see their dreams flushed down the tubes (Dorry's, Unvine'd, Klara's, Belle, Maximillians once and probably twice....should I keep going?).
What does the town have to do with success or failure of these businesses? Czech cuisine? I'm guessing that's a one and done for most people. Dorry's was "meh". We ate at Belle, wanted to love it - didn't and the chairs were SUPER uncomfortable for a "nice" restaurant. Most people have better seating in their backyard.

Town of Cary is huge - downtown will find its way. I would 1000 times over rather go to downtown Cary than Waverly Place for just about anything.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Belle also had that little problem where they weren't sending their sales tax collections back to the state. And it wasn't very good.

Personally I think Cary has been doing a great job with downtown revitalization, but it's still early. Ted Boyd is a great asset and I'm confident he's going to help get things done, but this is going to take time. No doubt the Academy Street reconstruction has hurt, but for the long-term it was necessary.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
And, on Academy they forgot to hook op the sewer to a church...

http://www.haroldweinbrecht.com/

quote:
"Emails from staff included an update on the Academy Street construction. The contractor did not connect one of the sewer services for the United Methodist Church. It was not identified on the plans but was identified when the active laterals were dye tested prior to lining the sewer main and should have been replaced then. This will delay the two way traffic on Academy into early October which is approximately a one week delay. The contractor will need to remove pavement, sidewalk, etc. to make the connection to the Academy sewer main."

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Yeah, crappy job by the contractor.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 AM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
And, on Academy they forgot to hook op the sewer to a church...

quote:
"Emails from staff included an update on the Academy Street construction. The contractor did not connect one of the sewer services for the United Methodist Church. It was not identified on the plans but was identified when the active laterals were dye tested prior to lining the sewer main and should have been replaced then. This will delay the two way traffic on Academy into early October which is approximately a one week delay. The contractor will need to remove pavement, sidewalk, etc. to make the connection to the Academy sewer main."
I hope the contractor is paying for this and not us. Progress has already been sooooo painfully slow, with many delays and issues, that I've been thinking the town should sue the contractor for incompetence. Where did we find this "guy"? At least I hope we have a decent contract where we don't pay in full until the work is done to our satisfaction (as home owners are encouraged to do) and/or there are heavy penalties/discounts for delays. Makes me wonder what issues we'll have down the road?

Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Yes, commercial construction contracts have that clause. Especially ones for public entities as they have their terms, many of which are written into law and too bad if you don't like it.

Many road projects for the state use a unit cost basis, so the payments are for however much of something is done that month, say 5000 cubic yards of dirt placed, 2000 yards of gravel, 3000 SF of sidewalk and however much asphalt paving. Most normal contracts are lump sum and the contract amount is divided out on a spreadsheet called the schedule of values, which is submitted and agreed to by the architect and the rep from that department ahead of work starting and monthly payments are paid out based on which construction activities are done and what percentage. Not sure which this was.

In either case, the work is supervised by architects or engineers who sign off on how much has been competed and the payments always hold 10% for retainage, which doesn't get paid until well after completion when all the paperwork is complete and punchlist done. It's also typical that all payments are paid at least 30 days after the invoice is submitted for work already done. I'm sure like most of them, this was the low bidder.

And it does seem like the contractor has had some issues, but they also had years of people doing random things there without much documentation, which always leads to issues once work begins.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 10-04-2016 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I hope the contractor is paying for this and not us. Progress has already been sooooo painfully slow, with many delays and issues, that I've been thinking the town should sue the contractor for incompetence. Where did we find this "guy"? At least I hope we have a decent contract where we don't pay in full until the work is done to our satisfaction (as home owners are encouraged to do) and/or there are heavy penalties/discounts for delays. Makes me wonder what issues we'll have down the road?
Welcome to the world of government contracts where public government is required to pick the lowest qualified bidder to save money. Great for the taxpayers at times but awful in terms of getting the job done at other times.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:27 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
And, problem with the HUD loan for the Mayton...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary