Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:48 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...gh-street.html

Sources: Target in talks to replace bowling alley on Raleigh’s Hillsborough Street

Sep 30, 2016, 3:10pm EDT Updated Sep 30, 2016, 4:15pm EDT
are confirming knowledge that serious talks are underway to bring a smaller-format Target store to Raleigh’s Hillsborough Street. Target officials, they say, are in discussions to build a new store at the site of the historic The Alley bowling center at 2512 Hillsborough St. A longtime owner of the property, Natalie Blomquist, when reached by phone at her home in Lexington declined to comment about any pending deal to sell the property. “It’s a private thing,” she says.

...All of a sudden Hillsborough St. is rapidly becoming a microcosm of Raleigh. Day by day, the character of that street is getting compromised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:55 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
That's too bad.

Bowling is a tough business these days, centers are closing at a rapid rate, the only ones surviving are the big corporate centers, Kings, Lucky Strike, Brunswick, AMF, etc. Bowling centers take up too much space - at around 300sf of dead space per lane, it's hard to keep up with real estate prices and taxes.

Buffaloe Lanes does surprisingly well for what I think is a family owned business? Every time I've been in the one in Cary it's been packed. And they don't even have booze (I wish they did).

Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Aww, I bowled there a few times. Liked it there.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:06 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...gh-street.html

Sources: Target in talks to replace bowling alley on Raleigh’s Hillsborough Street

Sep 30, 2016, 3:10pm EDT Updated Sep 30, 2016, 4:15pm EDT
are confirming knowledge that serious talks are underway to bring a smaller-format Target store to Raleigh’s Hillsborough Street. Target officials, they say, are in discussions to build a new store at the site of the historic The Alley bowling center at 2512 Hillsborough St. A longtime owner of the property, Natalie Blomquist, when reached by phone at her home in Lexington declined to comment about any pending deal to sell the property. “It’s a private thing,” she says.

...All of a sudden Hillsborough St. is rapidly becoming a microcosm of Raleigh. Day by day, the character of that street is getting compromised.
The character of seedy businesses that the neighbors constantly complained about and come and go like the Wind? The strip clubs and live nude shows from the 70s? I mean, I've bowled there and patronized many other businesses nearby over the years, but it's not as if this is a world heritage site or anything.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:08 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
It's a pretty retro looking building. If Target is in fact, confirmed, I wonder if the building would be renovated or torn down. It's a shame that IHOP had to move from their classic A-frame location down to Stanhope.

The Target is more likely going to be an express store, which comes in somewhere between 20 and 30,000 ft²

Old 10-02-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The character of seedy businesses that the neighbors constantly complained about and come and go like the Wind? The strip clubs and live nude shows from the 70s? I mean, I've bowled there and patronized many other businesses nearby over the years, but it's not as if this is a world heritage site or anything.
Sheriff, it's a part of the storied character of Hillsborough St. which is dwindling at an alarming rate. Hillsborough is becoming incredibly generic. that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Buffaloe Lanes does surprisingly well for what I think is a family owned business? Every time I've been in the one in Cary it's been packed. And they don't even have booze (I wish they did).
I'm surprised Buffaloe does as well it does, too. It's amazing. Don't a lot of leagues patronize Buff Lanes?

Old 10-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
It's a pretty retro looking building. If Target is in fact, confirmed, I wonder if the building would be renovated or torn down. It's a shame that IHOP had to move from their classic A-frame location down to Stanhope.

The Target is more likely going to be an express store, which comes in somewhere between 20 and 30,000 ft²
Good question Renowed. I'm thinking it'll be razed. And it is a shame about IHOP... I'm concerned about the direction of Hillsborough St.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:26 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Is it going to be like the Target that's going in on Franklin St in Chapel Hill?

Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Good question Renowed. I'm thinking it'll be razed. And it is a shame about IHOP... I'm concerned about the direction of Hillsborough St.
I have a feeling that it would be razed too.I f they do confirm, then hopefully, they can put in some space for some new shops. There are 3 or 4 shops, and a small parking lot on the ground level of the building.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Sheriff, it's a part of the storied character of Hillsborough St. which is dwindling at an alarming rate. Hillsborough is becoming incredibly generic. that's a problem.

I'm surprised Buffaloe does as well it does, too. It's amazing. Don't a lot of leagues patronize Buff Lanes?
Well, lets go in together and bring back the ACC Tavern then! Maybe reopen the old illegal sports book under Mitch's while we are at it and start paying players to shave points.

And if you want to talk about a real travesty, blame whoever put those ridiculous columns on the two porches they cut into that building and whoever allowed them. Destroys the look of the building.

And the problem is (and I find this so much in Raleigh) is that people USED to go to various places but not any more and that's why they close. People remember back in the day through idealized memories and want time to stop so everyone else has that experience, when it was a personal one and not one chosen by people now and often the good ole days are not all they are cracked up to be.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 10-02-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary