Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 16,480 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the area right off of 54 west of Carboro? My fiancé and I found a house off 54 just east of white cross.

We were originally looking for a place in the heart of Carboro but with a dog etc. The idea of having some extra space isn't a bad proposition especially still only being an 8 min drive from carr mill mall.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,985,116 times
fiesta is the best mexican restaurant ive ever had hands down

other than that its a rural place I would consider it a 10 minute drive from carrboro yeah

Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,521,643 times
That's definitely a better area for pets and/or future kids. Sort of a "hippies in the country" vibe. You obviously won't be able to walk to much like you would be in-town in Carrboro but you're only a short drive away. Park behind open-eye or at the HT and you can walk to pretty much anywhere in downtown Carrboro or Chapel Hill

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,373,227 times
It's okay. A little crunchy a little salty (progressive & conservative). I would rather be right in town, but YMMV. I also wouldn't want to live right on 54. Not sure how far off 54 you are, but it's a pretty busy road. I drive it every day (kids go to school in Saxapahaw). It's 17 minutes from Carrboro Plaza to the Sax Gen Store, so 10 min from White Cross to Carrboro sounds about right.

It's a far cry from Meadowmont style, though.

I really think if you can get up here and drive around and look at things that will help you more. Sometimes there's just a yard sign to let you know.

How's the weather for you?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:39 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,817,228 times
MYy first two thoughts mirror some of those above:

1. No-man's land out there. While it's not far from civilization, it sure feels like it.

2. You'd be close to Fiesta Mexican Restaurant, which is yummy.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 9,195 times
I live in this area. Tough to get an uber pick up at home but easy to find one to bring you home, The Kraken is a great bar. Property taxes are lower than in the cities. It gets dark. Real dark! Lots of deer and we hear coyotes, see owls, occasional snake. Hippies in the country describes it pretty well. The light at Dodsons helped us a lot but the road is rarely all that congested, one wreck does shut it down though.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 9,195 times
I am somewhat new to this, if you are able to send me a private message I will answer any questions you may have. Not sure if the system allows that.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 PM

22 posts, read 16,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's okay. A little crunchy a little salty (progressive & conservative). I would rather be right in town, but YMMV. I also wouldn't want to live right on 54. Not sure how far off 54 you are, but it's a pretty busy road. I drive it every day (kids go to school in Saxapahaw). It's 17 minutes from Carrboro Plaza to the Sax Gen Store, so 10 min from White Cross to Carrboro sounds about right.

It's a far cry from Meadowmont style, though.

I really think if you can get up here and drive around and look at things that will help you more. Sometimes there's just a yard sign to let you know.

How's the weather for you?
Well we have seen better forecasts before... Ha.

We actually got out of town for the storm and are staying in Chapel hill for the weekend and going "area shopping" while we are here.

Thanks for the help here... I'm used to living "middle of nowhere but I guess we'll see how it feels. Is it by and large a safe area in respect to crime and violence?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,817,228 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding crime or violence in that area.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,373,227 times
Yeah, not a bad crime area. It's just more country living. White Cross is basically just a designation on the map. Fiesta Grill is good as others mentioned and we take our cars to Automotive Solutions for mechanical work and Sturdivant's for tires and inspections, and there's two gas stations, but that's about it for businesses. You'll have to get in the car and drive back to town for everything else. I have some friends who used to live out on Wildcat Creek Rd. They moved into town when the kids got school age.

Gonna rain all day here, too, so you're not seeing us at our best, but if you can stay over some tomorrow it should be cleared up then. At least I hope so.

FTR, you don't get the dark sky in Chapel Hill and Carrboro like you do out in the country, but we have a LOT of wildlife in our middle of the town neighborhood in Chapel Hill. We have a resident herd of deer I usually see daily in my front yard (I think they've figured out that nobody is going to shoot them in town) and owls that perch in our backyard and lots of hawks, more copperheads than I need, and a fox family, too. I haven't seen or heard coyotes in town, but other people have said they have. We did have a bear go through the mill village in Carrboro a couple of years ago. I think it was a young male out searching for territory. A family at my kid's elementary school saw it. No dolphins or whales and only the occasional seagull at Jordan Lake or the Target parking lot in Durham. What is it with seagulls and big parking lots?

Last edited by poppydog; 10-08-2016 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary