Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,635 times

Advertisements

Describe the following people or places
Willie York
Cameron Village
Deveroux Meadow
Pete Maravich
Tatton Hall
Stanhope Pullen
Joesephus Daniels
Claude Sitton
Trinity College
Haywood Hall
Kidd Brewer
Morrison High School
Isabella Cannon
Tom Bradshaw
Tom Ellis
Carter Wrenn
Armistead Maupin
Lassiter Mill
Will's Forest
Clarence Poe
Alfred Williams
Holt Drive
Methodist Orphanage
Everitt Case
Twiggy Sanders
Ligon High School
John Baker
Ralph Campbell
I Beverly Lake
What year did Wake Forest College leave for Winston-Salem?
What legend attended Wake Forest and played at Paschal 9 hole course.
What triangle stadium hosted the Rose Bowl after the sneaky japs bombed Pearl Harbor?
Bloomsbury Park
Peahead Walker

The original fairgrounds
The Sod Doctor
The Black Wall Street
The Players Retreat
A C Snow
Dennis Rogers
The Roast Grill
Ira David Wood
The Angus Barn
Bob Winston
Paul Hoover
The Mecca
Clyde Cooper's
Bonecrusher Smith
Emily Procter
Sharon Lawrence
Jesse Helms
Kaye Gibbons
Quail Ridge Books
Bob Caudle
The Underground
The Flying Cloud
Scotty's
Johnson-Lambe
Ballentine's
The Capital Room
Piccadilly Cafateria
Finch's Resteraunt
Watkins Grill
The Embers Club
Roman Gabriel
Andy Griffith
Charlie Rose
Sonny Jorgeson
Roy Williams
Phil Ford
Buck Williams
James Worthy
David Thompson
Choo Choo Justice
Donald Ross
Clyde Walker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Default A blast from the past!

Sure enjoyed reading through the list, Uncle Tupelo! I am Native NC, only moved here from the Coast two years ago, and how well I know much of this stuff. Here in NC, as I'm sure in most states, students study NC history. (Well, that didn't come out right -- students study the history of the state in which they reside.)

Some, I don't know, but overall I think I'd do quite well on a test!

What, though, is choo-choo justice? Tying someone to the rails?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
Default Armistead Maupin

While I do not know the answer to all these, I know some from personal interest and from my NC 1-12 education. I'll just pick my favorite:

Armistead Maupin: Born in DC but raised in NC by a Conservative Christian Family. Went to UNC and wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. Served in the Navy, part of that time in Vietnam. Also worked at a Raleigh TV Station (WRAL?), which was managed by conservative news personality Jesse Helms. He moved to San Francisco w/ the AP in the early 70s. While knowing he was gay since childhood he did not come out until he was living in SF.

Maupin is most famous for his series Tales from the City, which were shorts first introduced in The Pacific Sun Newspaper. Later Tales From the City was published in 6 books, all following the same set of characters that make up the community of 28 Barbary Lane. Summer of 2007 he release a much anticipated follow up of the series, Micheal Tolliver Lives. Maupin credits his family and living in the South for his ability to weave fascinating stories. My favorite character has always been Mona Ramsey but don't we all love Mrs. Madrigal too.

Back in January CBS Sunday Morning did an excellent interview of Maupin. It aired sometime at the end of the month if your interested in downloading it.

Yeah, I'm bit of a Maupin Groupie.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Great list. But, you forgot Uncle Paul!

I used to play soccer at the Devereaux Meadows as a kid. For those not familiar with the location, it's currently the shameful location for Raleigh's garbage trucks. That property is the hottest underutized location in the city.
Some of the other (long gone) things I remember are the original center court fountain at Crabtee Mall, Thalheimer's, Miller and Rhoads, the Cardinal Theater and the Downtown Hudson Belk.

Your list brings back memories of what it felt like to be in some of those long gone places, whether it's the cheesy Western atmosphere of Scotty's Chuck Wagon in N. Hills Mall or the castle-like experience of waiting in line at Piccadilly.

For many of you, some of the places are still not gone but perhaps gone from the collective memory of the city's residents. So, before they are gone, go seek out a cheap breakfast at Finches or go eat BBQ at Clyde Coopers.
:-)

Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM

SR year in HS, I was stuck in bed with mono. The highlight of being sick was getting to see Pete Maravich play for UNC and Dean Smith. Hard to beat 'four corners.'

Huge black 'n whites of Sonny Jorgenson and Roman Gabriel in the foyer of Brogden Auditorium of New Hanover HS, my alma mater.

Oops. . . hubby says Choo Choo Justice was a HS coach, now about his own age? That's about as odd a name as the twins where I grew up -- Melvin, and 'the other Melvin.'

Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,565 times
What legend attended Wake Forest and played at Paschal 9 hole course.

Arnold Palmer !!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,048 times
Charlie "Choo-Choo" Justice was a Tarheel football legend. My dad went to UNC shortly after Choo-Choo was there, and I grew up hearing about his prowness on the field. Don't remember what position he played, but vaguely remember it was important so I would guess quarterback or running back. He was one of my dad's heroes.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
hmm... Pistol Pete Maravich played for LSU in college, where his father was the coach. His father coached N.C. State while Pete played at Broughton High school

Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,565 times
The Capital Room

Long term "cafeteria" restaurant at Hudson Belk @ Crabtree Valley Mall - near the escalators. Converted to sales space several years ago.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 AM

Well, I missed that one on the test, didn't I? Brain burp. . .

I guess I ran two memories together, and I'll blame it on the fevers from the mono. You are right, in that I was watching my Dad's alma mater and it was that Pete was playing for them. How embarrassing.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary