Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

Hello

I live in South America and I am considering a job transference to Raleigh

I will visit the triangle this October before taking a decision
My family is: my husband and a 1 year old child
The company location is North Raleigh
The budget for rental is around 1000-1200 and for the day care center 1000

Could you please please give me some advice for a 4 days trip for what to visit in triangle area?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:36 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,402,037 times
Draw a 10 mile circle around the job location.

I'd spend 2 days finding out how acceptable the 100-1200 apartments are in that circle.

I'd figure out which day care centers are also in that circle, and what they charge. Personally, coming "mid year", not only may your choices be limited, but you may be changing in 7 months anyway.

What will your husband be doing for employment?

What non-work things interest you, so that other suggestions of "things to do" can be made.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,266,304 times
Also please make sure to check the sticky relocation thread on top, it already has a lot of information. Similar questions have also been asked before, you might want to search for "trip Raleigh". Also look up "things to do with kids" posts.

I'd suggest to search for apartments and day care online and contact them in advance. Most reply by email quickly.

For kids Marbles museum is worth stopping by, as well as Nature and science museum downtown (the last one is free). Pulen park and Museum of Life and Science in Durham if you have time. I also find that American Tobacco Campus and Parlor ice cream shop (5 min walk) are a big hit with visitors. Those are in Durham but it's just a short drive.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,614,734 times
I agree with Bo's suggestion on the 10 mile radius. I can highly recommend ChildTime on Six Forks Rd for daycare but not sure what their current rates are. We were there for a year before I accepted a different job on the other side of town and they were fabulous. The rental budget may be kind of tight depending on location - rents seem to have skyrocketed in recent years. But there are still deals to be found and you may be able to get an older, smaller house in a decent location even. It all depends on your standards but you can find something.

I'd also look for a hotel nearby. For business travel a lot of our consultants, as well as my in-laws, stay at the Courtyard Marriott at Triangle Town Center. It's near shops, restaurants and a mall so you don't have to drive to those. It's relatively new. If you want more of a central location but on the Northern side of downtown I'd suggest North Hills - the Hyatt Place and Renaissance hotels there are great. Pricier because of location.

For kids Marbles is great. They have an area for kids under 3. If you're here during the fair that is also fun and would be a great experience. Lots of rides, animals, games, food and more. Pullen park is great for children - there's a small train, boats they can "drive", a great playground and a carousel. Our son loves it.

I would highly recommend touring both apartments and daycares while you're there. Find a couple in your budget and check them out. I'm sure you'll have some sort of window for the relocation where you'll be able to get settled but daycare waiting lists can be months long so you probably need to get on one as soon as you decide to accept the transfer.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
Thanks everybody for your inputs
I scheduled 2 day care centers to visit.
For sure I will include Marble Museum and the Parlor ice cream in my trip

Old 10-16-2016, 06:40 PM

810 posts, read 675,205 times
after your visit to Marbles I highly suggest having lunch at The Pit which is a short drive away ;-)

This will give you a good introduction to southern cuisine and good ol' fashioned North Carolina BBQ

Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,402,037 times
If you're going to Marbles, walk the 2-3 blocks to Clyde Cooper's for barbecue instead. And I like the Pit just fine - but if you've got kids in tow, go for the closer, cheaper, and faster option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary