Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,203 times

Advertisements

We are less than six months out from putting our house up for sale and we are purging things we don't think we'll need in NC. I know snow/ice events happen but are not that common, so after winter we'll chuck most of our shovels.

But we bought a kerosene heater when Sandy hit a few years ago and also have a portable electric heater (but no generator, go figure). I'm just curious how often you've lost power / heat or if people do keep things like this and generators available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Never

Old 10-09-2016, 12:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
You might need it I always have backup heat for emergency. "Two is one...One is none"

Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
In Raleigh, you might lose power for 1-4 days every couple of years and for 12-24 hours once a year at the most. It is nice to have an alternative source of heat if you don't buy a place with a fireplace.

Coastal areas might lose power more often due to tropical storms or hurricanes.

Depending on where you are in the mountains, you might lose power once or twice a winter or not at all.

We lived in Raleigh for 30+ years and have just recently moved to the mountains. We got a whole house generator for up here for a couple of reasons. We are at a higher elevation at approximately 4400 feet, so the winters can be a bit windier and snowier, so power outages can be more frequent. Also, our road can be challenging to navigate during normal weather, there's a very good possibility that we won't be able to get down the mountain for a few days if we lose power. In Raleigh we could always find some place that was open and had power, so we didn't have to stay put unless the roads were really bad.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
I don't like kerosene heaters. Rather have a fireplace. Too many housefires started by kerosene.

We do lose power and it's nice to have some way to keep warm, but I'm just not down with kerosene. Folks do have generators, but personally we don't use one.

Bring one snow shovel. It's nice to have once every couple of years. Mostly we just wait a day or two and it melts. No need for a snow blower.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I would bring it since you have it. You are likely to lose power at some point during a winter here. We tend to get wet, heavy snow, or - more likely - ice, both of which will bring down power lines faster than what you're used to on LI. We owned a house for 13 years on LI and only lost power once during a snowstorm; we've been here 6 years and have lost power three times. It wasn't a long event any of the times (longest was 8 hours) but we do have a backup source for heat in case it's long lasting (not kerosene, can't remember what it is I got). We used the fireplace last time.

Bring a snow shovel, and ice scrapers for the cars.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't like kerosene heaters. Rather have a fireplace. Too many housefires started by kerosene.
Many fires are started by fireplaces too Poppy. It's all boils down to regular maintenance and proper use for both.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
I brought my generator. It takes up valuable space in the garage, but I know as soon as I sell it I'll need it. Almost this weekend, but nope.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Many fires are started by fireplaces too Poppy. It's all boils down to regular maintenance and proper use for both.
Probably so, but you just hear about the kerosene heaters more often. I also grew up with a fireplace and am comfortable with that and do know to get it cleaned regularly. It's hard to find data that separates out kerosene heaters from other portable heaters, but I did read multiple places that portable heaters are a leading cause of fatal fires in winter.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
I've made it 50 years successfully in NC without a kerosene heater. I've only heard problems with them, though it certainly seems to always be among the low income folks who live in older poorly-insulated homes and may not be able to spend the $ to maintain them as some have noted.

We're just not typically so cold, nor lose power for so long, that you're in any danger.

I'm sure it's worth more sold there than used here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: