Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
You and I are on the same page

I came from a super rural NC county (in the area slammed by Matthew) and have a post grad degree from unc and a degree from a state college. I did extra curriculars, played sports, and work white collar in the triangle

So what did I miss out on? How was my schooling deficient? Maybe I coulda been a cool scientist or something or maybe I could of been worse off

Every single county in North Carolina has schools that could and do produce happy productive and successful students. Less well off counties have kids who are essentially "doing time" and unfortunately students who drop out but it's just about being part of the active and engaged learning community at that school. And trust me teachers don't stop caring outside of wake county and your children will get taught and maybe there is more to gain by giving them some life diversity I would much rather my kid interact with students from farming households or maybe the people of color diversity in some of the Durham schools than have them spend 18 years in the most pressure cooker environment and again for what

The school front is ground zero for the de facto segregation problem in our society and these mentalities just perpetuate it. It's some weird keeping up with the joneses thing where you want to place your kid with the most well heeled people you can get around

The most level headed response I've seen on the whole "good school" issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'll avoid the school issue. Going back to the commute issue, the OP really needs to determine his job location BEFORE looking at communities. The assumption that he will be working in DT Raleigh is unreasonable, imho.

Find the job first, then the residence. Your budget allows for many choices in good school districts (and I wouldn't necessarily eliminate durham either).

Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
In your budget I'd also be looking in N Raleigh in addition to the areas you mentioned. Take the school ratings with a grain of salt but definitely tour them if you can before you decide. Most are doing tours over the next couple months so if you can get down here to do that I'd highly recommend it. We found that the greatschools rating was good and somewhat helpful but the actual feeling of the school was key. One factor to consider is whether you want year round or traditional. We have quite a few year round schools for elementary and middle.

For your criteria - I'd look at N Raleigh, Apex and Cary.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:40 AM

What up with Clayton is that doable or still far out. Also how far is that from Fort Bragg? Is there a difference between Fuquay Varina and Clayton?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:46 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Interesting view, one that would require deep discussion. Your statement is one in which I understand where your coming from. Oh I forgot to mention new construction. To answer your question it, lets do good schools and not too expensive.
You are not doing yourself (commute & budget), the environment (emissions), others (traffic), or the community as a whole (sprawl) any favors with requiring new build. Plenty of opportunity with existing housing in Cary, Apex or even in Raleigh; which, as others have mentioned, are the best locales for 3/4 of your needs.

1. Close to DT Raleigh (under 20 minutes)
2. Good schools
3. Affordable (340K budget for you)
4. New construction

I just don't get the gotta be brand spanking new thing with housing around here. It is not like we are talking about used underwear or socks.

But if you must, I'd say FV over HS....has more character/identity/soul. Also, not sure if 340K will get you the kind of new you want even in HS anymore.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 AM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
What up with Clayton is that doable or still far out. Also how far is that from Fort Bragg? Is there a difference between Fuquay Varina and Clayton?
Clayton is doable but may be further away, depending on precisely where you settle. You can certainly get the other things you want for less than 340k in Clayton.

Fuquay is western Wake County. Clayton is northeastern Johnston County. Yes, there is a difference.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:53 AM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Clayton is doable but may be further away, depending on precisely where you settle. You can certainly get the other things you want for less than 340k in Clayton.

Fuquay is western Wake County. Clayton is northeastern Johnston County. Yes, there is a difference.
Sorry, forgot the Fort Bragg part.

It would be about 75 minutes.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I just don't get the gotta be brand spanking new thing with housing around here. It is not like we are talking about used underwear or socks.
I don't get it either, but there wouldn't be brand spanking new houses if there wasn't demand for it. Someone's gotta live in the brand spanking new houses

However, I would never sacrifice location for a new house.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I know several people who live in Clayton and commute to Raleigh. You're looking at 45 minutes give or take in rush hour traffic. A couple of the people do this because their spouse is military and commute to fort bragg but that is a LONG drive.

I definitely agree on figuring out exactly where you'll be working. Did you mention what field you're in? Brier Creek may also be a good jumping off point if you're not sure since it's kind of in the middle of the triangle. Good schools out there too. But your budget won't go quite as far as other parts.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:14 AM

Im sorry I'm in IT more specifically Systems Administration. I will agree on a couple of things

1. Brand new house (it's a compromise for the Mrs) for moving down to NC. Otherwise I don't mind at all a resale.

2. Jobs - typically I agree with getting a job first but let's just say you don't have to worry about me and the family.

Thank you all for your advice and wisdom on locations. I appreciate ya'll for taking the time to write back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary