Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
My boyfriend in the 80's drove a school bus when he was a junior and senior at Sanderson!
Yeah, I had high school drivers in both elementary and (one year of) Jr High, late 70s, but I knew folks who'd done it into the '80s. Nobody thought twice about it, even the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, I had high school drivers in both elementary and (one year of) Jr High, late 70s, but I knew folks who'd done it into the '80s. Nobody thought twice about it, even the parents.
I used to drive over there after school, hop on the bus with him and hang out talking to him while he drove his route! And this had to be at least 1987, which is when I got my license!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM

100 posts, read 295,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
You remember when the bridge was at Lassiter Mill
The Hobby Shop at Cameron Village.
Hackney's at North Hills.
Moonlight Madness.
6th Grade Centers.
The old country store on Anderson Drive.
The shooting in 72 at North Hills.
The Deli King.
Charlie Gaddy.
Bob Debarteladen(sp?)
Bobby Batista
Bob Caudle
The pond at Lakemont
Millbrook High School was the country school
Rex Hospital was at St. Mary's and Wade
Sportman's Cove
The Flying Cloud
Roy Rogers
Villa Capri
The Breakfast House
Griffin's
Johnson's Pharmacy
The Millbrook Community
Swenson's
Raleigh Community Hospital
Mrs Sykes Rythym School
The underground
The Switch
Crazy Zach's
Edward's Grocery
Nantucket
Jaycee Park was the landfill
The Velvet Cloak was our nicest hotel
Pine State
Long Meadow Farms
The Flood of 1973
Kidd Brewer
Embers Club
Scramble Dog
Cat Baby at the Hub
Nowells
Camp Kanata was in the boonies
North Raleigh homes were built on an acre
Pullen Park Pool
Hayes Barton Pool
Apex was one street
Belks
Wrestling at Realeigh Memorial Auditorium
S&W Cafeteria downtown

Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
jpb

9 posts, read 43,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
I lived at Nazereth in the '60's (the best years of my childhood incidentally) and can tell you first hand that the "Cry Baby Lane" stories are 100% true. We heard it all the time but would be told it was people at the asylum nearby. I returned there about 8 yrs ago and the buildings may be gone but I still got the same chill. Check it out
the fire was not in 58 or at least seriously so. the brick buildings were in good order in 63

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM

If you remember when downtown Raleigh (looking North from Memorial Auditorium) looked like this (original Civic Center being built, 1976):

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2676/113/33/551122791/n551122791_2182901_1783032.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

If you remember the old Lassiter's Mill bridge:

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
If you remember when downtown Raleigh (looking North from Memorial Auditorium) looked like this (original Civic Center being built, 1976):
Oh yeah, I remember then. I also remember how the building was hailed a triumph! Imagine that?
I think this photo gives the newcomers an idea of just how small Raleigh was 30+ years ago.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Oh yeah, I remember then. I also remember how the building was hailed a triumph! Imagine that?
I think this photo gives the newcomers an idea of just how small Raleigh was 30+ years ago.
I also noticed that this was around the time Fayetteville Street was being ripped up from being a street, to be made into a mall--which they've now made back into a street, again . Yeah, the BB&T building (still there, no longer BB&T--I think it's called "333 Commerce plaza" or something? I actually worked in that building for a year) was the fanciest building downtown; now nobody even notices it! The two "skyscrapers" at the ends of the "mall" both went up in 1991 and then until this year, with the RBC plaza, the skyline changed little.

Notice even how boring the landscaping in front of Memorial was--and of course, it was just Memorial Auditorium, not the four-theatre complex it is now (BTI-> Progress Energy Center) with the fancy fountain out front.

It's photos like this that remind us we should stop and take pictures of urban landscapes the way they are, no matter how "mundane" they seem--some day, people will say "Wow, cool! I remember that!" about what to us right now is just the regular way it looks!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
That's right Francois, and I spent many hours on the end of a fire hose hosing the entire construction area down to reduce the blowing dust downtown. It was hard dirty duty

Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
If you remember the old Lassiter's Mill bridge:
I must have jumped off the top of that bridge hundreds of times. The Lassiter store stood just to the left of the photo. They had the coldest drinks in town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary