Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
Were there two Fass Brothers? I don't understand the Whitaker Mill and Mission Valley if that is intended as an interesection.

Of course I defer to PogglyWoggly's wisdom.

Perhaps he might be able to help me with some information about the Five Points area I live in. What was located where Audio Buys (the butt ugly building) is now? What about the shopping center with Rite Aid?
Sorry...There was one at Mission Valley and another on Whitaker Mill Rd. in the Northside Shopping Center like Francois said....at or about where High Times is now. I believe the Northside location did eventually become Family Fish House...but I'm going to check around to make sure I got that right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Did you know there used to be a gay bar at Five Points for many, many years, going back to the 1970s ("The Mousetrap", then later Glenwood Park and later still, "1622")? It was where Churchill's is now.
That location used to be the Cat's Eye back in the late 60's. It had a sister nightclub called The Other Eye on Lane St. right at incoming Downtown Blvd. They were both very popular clubs at the time. I had a lot of good times there myself at both.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Does anyone remember the Fass Brothers Fish House? Where was it located?

Here's a pic to give some clues:
Another interesting point about the photo: this photo was taken prior to the forming of Wake County EMS services. Beacon Ambulance Service ran out of downtown Raleigh, and the Raleigh Fire Department had two rescue vehicles which assisted them and also responded to fire related matters both of which are in the photo. My guess is that the photo was taken around 1973 or so. I think the photo was taken on Avent Ferry Road with Western Blvd being in the far background at the top of the hill.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Another interesting point about the photo: this photo was taken prior to the forming of Wake County EMS services. Beacon Ambulance Service ran out of downtown Raleigh, and the Raleigh Fire Department had two rescue vehicles which assisted them and also responded to fire related matters both of which are in the photo. My guess is that the photo was taken around 1973 or so. I think the photo was taken on Avent Ferry Road with Western Blvd being in the far background at the top of the hill.
So that means Fass Bros was along the side, near the movie theatres? like down where that ale house is now? I can't recall and it's hard to tell from the pic.

Sometime, I need to head to the state library and go through old City Directories, where you can look up things by address and see what they became over the years. A good way to kill a day!

Quote:
That location used to be the Cat's Eye back in the late 60's.
Interesting. I guess the name "Mousetrap" could be a play on "Cat's Eye".

Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
I agree with Poggly Woggly & think that the picture was taken from Avent Ferry Road as you approach the intersection with Western Blvd. Fass Brothers was on the lower level, far right side & yes, near the movie theatres. Not sure what is there now but it was just to the right of the stairway that leads to the upper level. My college suitemate's dad would take us there when he was in town--always a treat for poor college students to be taken out to eat!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
I agree with Poggly Woggly & think that the picture was taken from Avent Ferry Road as you approach the intersection with Western Blvd. Fass Brothers was on the lower level, far right side & yes, near the movie theatres. Not sure what is there now but it was just to the right of the stairway that leads to the upper level.
I work within walking distance of there; ther is actually a road directly by the theatres. I wonder if they redid the parking lot to give lower-level access? Otherwise, it was a little farther down where Rock-Ola was for awhile but now is some kind of ale house. I remember going to the Mission Valley theatres back then, but I was in Jr High or so, so wasn't driving nor paying attention to the roads and buildings.

The MV Theatres, other than having added some screens, are very much the same and like a time warp to the 70s.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee1109 View Post
Jim Thornton was my great grandfather, though I never knew him. I have heard many many stories and seen many many pictures. His daughter, my maternal grandmother, is still living and loves to share stories and reminisce. We have all been in search of recordings and video of the show as well. We all hear stories of him eating Yellow Rose dog food on television, yet the only thing I've heard is the recording on Youtube of "I Want Everything that my Baby's Got" from Renown Records. If anyone has anything to share it would be greatly appreciated.
WTVD Channel 11 Durham carried his show every Saturday. My grandfather used to advertise on his show every week and I would go with him.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I was at a friend's house and their parents told us to watch "Banana Man" from Captain Kangaroo. CREEPY!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
Were there two Fass Brothers? I don't understand the Whitaker Mill and Mission Valley if that is intended as an interesection.

Of course I defer to PogglyWoggly's wisdom.

Perhaps he might be able to help me with some information about the Five Points area I live in. What was located where Audio Buys (the butt ugly building) is now? What about the shopping center with Rite Aid?
In the 70's the whole shopping center there was a grocery store I believe it was an A&P . I worked at the old dry cleaners when I was 16, it was across the street from the Rite Aid(Eckerds). The cash register was the kind where you pushed in the keys and pulled the handle, you had to figure out how much change to give back.This was in the 80's , It burned down in the 90's.I grew up by Northside Shopping Center in the 70's and 80's.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 150,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighgirl1971 View Post
Me and my friends used to hang out in that big, old house on millbrook road at intersection of old wake forest and millbrook. it was a big white farmhouse and it was abandoned and dillapitated by the time we used it as a hang out. That was the late 80s. we used to scare each other sick and would say it was haunted. i guess it was the ghost that rides in the backseat of cars around the intersection. and according to somebody on here, "she" lived in that old house. I'm curious, though, does anyone on this thread know the real history of that house? the family who lived there. when it was built. etc etc. and about the old millbrook community? any books i can read about it?
I know the house you are talking about. It was located directly across from Litchford Rd at the corner of Millbrook and Old Wake Forest Rd. I lived on Litchford Rd back in 1975 and I think at that time the house was occupied. Once my friend and I and a couple lady friends were coming down Litchford running about 80mph and when he went to step in the brakes to stop at Millbrook Rd there weren't any. He grabbed the emergency brake and tried to slide around the turn onto Millbrook Rd. Needless to say the car went up on 2 wheels and jumped across the ditch into the front yard of said house. The car just ended up sitting there on its side. A couple guys came by and we pushed it back over, started it back up and drove off. I will never forget it was a Forest Green 1967 Dodge Coronet Convertable and it would FLY! It was amazing. Of course he girls wanted to GO HOME right away so that's how that went. Man did Raleigh use to be fun. Now it SUCKS !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary