Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Are you talking about Montaldo's?

i think i got one of my high school dance dresses there. a little black thing that looked great on me then but would look ridiculous now LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
I am trying to remember the names of some little shops that were on Wake Forest Rd (near Millbrook Rd) back in the 80s. There was an ice cream shop and a little gift shop. There was also a shop that sold bongs and stuff. These shops were located across the street from the old Michael Deans. (It wasn't there then but I am just trying to give a location) Does anyone remember these shops?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 AM

75 posts, read 301,439 times
Heart's Delight was the ice cream place you are thinking about. The entire place was decorated with hearts and you could bring one in to add to their collection. Great ice cream too!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native2nc View Post
Heart's Delight was the ice cream place you are thinking about. The entire place was decorated with hearts and you could bring one in to add to their collection. Great ice cream too!
I remember that place now.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Quote:

That's it! Thank you.
This thread has really made me go down memory lane. Trouble is, sometimes I just can't remember the name of the place. For example, last night I was trying to remember the name of a night club that was next to what is now the Rialto theater on Glenwood. I think it may have been located somewhere else in Raleigh (near downtown maybe) and then moved to Five Points. I never went there as I usually hung out on Hillsborough St/Western Blvd. Anyway, I racked my brain last night and just could not think of the name of that club. Then this morning it hit me.... The Showcase. That was the name. I was so relieved to finally remember it. I know it would have bugged me big time until I came up with it.

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 06-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,967 times
I found a video produced by the old WPTF-TV 28 that talks about the Raleigh area in '91. It's kind of cheesy, but informative.

YouTube - ‪WPTF-TV Sales Presentation "Metro Story '91"‬‏

Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM

45 posts, read 118,162 times
Rick 'Nature Boy' Flair used to frequent Barry's on Hillsborugh street...you could see that hair a mile away.......the Royal theater on Hargett street used to have 'rats' never saw one.....my Dad and his first cousin used to go there on Saturday mornings for the western serials. As a child I remember going to the Ambasssador downtown on Saturdays for cartoons the admission was a Coke bottle top.
The State theater on Salisbury St had one of the most treacherous stairways and balconies around. Being of African-American descent, we were not allowed downstairs. We could not attend the Varsity, the Village theater nor the Forest or Center drive-n theaters. Several restuarants- Finch's, Ballentines, Hudson Belk's, S & W....when we went downtown, we ate at the Sandwich Shop on Wilmington street (which was sperated by the center bar-where the hot dogs were cooked). There used to be a drive-in cafe called the NILE-CONGO on Garner Rd where we would stop on some Sunday afternoons for fried chicken boxes. Does anyone remember Teenage Frolics on channel 5 every Saturday(used to line up early to get in to dance on camera and talk with J D Lewis). Have been to channel 5 studios for Saturday Night Wrestling( the main event was the Scot Brothers vs the BOLO's). Being as small as channel 5 studio was; it showed up as a grand thing on TV. My mother would take us downtown to the Capitol on Sunday afternoons and buy peanuts from the Peanut Man and we would feed the pigeons. I was always afraid they would peck a hole in my hand and that a wild squirrel would get me.:-).....we would visit the museums-which were free. There used to a bakery next to First Baptist Church on Wilmington street that served the best cinnamon rolls in the world....next to the Federal Bake Shop sugar cookies in Cameron Village--there was nothing sweeter. I grew up in 'Culture Town'{Cameron Village}. I remember playing in the field where the old water tower stood-in my underwear only-mother would wash my sister and I, and we would play in the buttercups all day. When I see buttercups now I want to stop the car and take some up and transplant them in my yard. Autumntime in West Raleigh-the trees, the cool air-the SPACE----now it hard to get around the Village without being almost knocked down by discourteous people. In the winter when they have Open House for Christmas --it's madness. My daughter and I tried to take the twins but could not find a parking place. I've been still writing the National Federation of Beared Santas about the Christmas parade.....they have been snubbed by the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. ...Oh-well. I 've written WRAL TV about the Federation also...no response. Another thread...Chubb Sewell.....this man NEVER stops talking...had jury duty call and I kept hearing this familiar loud voice 'holding court' at one of the tables. Sure enough.....this was years back so I don't if he is still with us. I miss Pine State milk, ice cream(especially the HOLIDAY ICE CREAM-does anyone remember this?)...I miss the orange delivery trucks. My grandad used to get whole milk and goat's milk in glass bottles. BTW ...Family Circus on Old Wake Forest rd sells some really good ice cream sandwiches.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Does anyone remember Thundermotts airline? I still listen to WPTF on Sunday nights for My Best to You with the late Jimmy Capps. btw...had no idea that Uncle Paul used to frequent the Gateway Restaurant-they have the BEST homemade macaroni and cheese in town!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
And the tiny little Millbrook Post Office!

Plus, that intersection supposedly was haunted--a female ghost was said to ride in the back seat of your car sometimes going through it.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Remember CHARCO-BURGER? The Side Show at the NC State Fair? The Hooch show the NC State Fair....the free concert inside the Dorton Arena? The sawdust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary