Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 PM

37 posts, read 63,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Alright, here we go again.

1. What was the name of the movie theater at North Hills?

2. What did the Howard Johnson at Crabtree do at Christmas every year?

3. What was the name of the Ford dealership on Downtown Blvd. just south of Peace St.?

4. Where was the baseball stadium located downtown?

5. Where was the Farmer's Market located?

6. Anyone remember Swain's Steak House?

7. What company mascot used to stand on Wilmington St. and wave to everyone as they drove by?

As I recall, the Ford dealership was originally named Sanders Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalGal View Post
I am a Cary girl… but def have some Raleigh memories!!! I am also a child of the '80s and please forgive if any of these are repeats!

^^I DO remember the cafeteria at North Hills!!!
-I was born in the OLD Wake Med
-I remember making special trips with my mom to the Hudson Belk downtown
-Also I have stood by Thalheimers=>Hechts=>Macys
-I remember before RBC, before the DPAC, before even a new and improved Civic Center there was Dorton Arena!!!
Cary Stuff-
-I remember going to Cary Village before it became Cary Town Center
- I remember when my biggest association with Panther Creek was really good sledding!
-I can remember when O'Kelly Chapel, Alston Ave, Yates Store and Green Level Church were all at least partially dirt road.
-I can show you the location of the ORIGINAL Green Hope School and my Grandmother was part of the graduating class of 1943.

Hmmm…. that might be all for right now! I'm sure I'll think of more later…. this is a neat thread!
Dorton Arena -- Saw Lynyrd Skynyrd there--1975, late winter or early spring. (It was still cold). Their plane crashed not too long before their scheduled appearance in fall '77.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
OMG, was he the owner of the club "Thorntons" that was located on the intersection of South Saunders and Wilmington St? I remember that place.
When it closed it moved out on Poole Rd and became The Country Music Barn. I use to know the owner of that place but I cant remember his name. I bought a 1969 Dodge Charger from him when he was working at the old Goodman Toyota on Downtown Blvd!
You had a '69 Charger. You lucky dog!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalva View Post
I may be dating myself age wise....but here's how you know you are a real Raleigh native....
1) you know what "Chips" was
2) you remember Johnson-Lambe
3) you know what Wrenn-Pharr was
4) you know what and where Soundhaus was
5) you actually went to the Embers Club, Barry's, the "circus room" at Darryl's
6)you remember the AMC dealership on Hillsborough St
7) you know that Crazy Zack's was on Hillsborough St first, then moved to the site of the old AMC dealership, then in 1987 it was torn down and now there sits an Applebee's restaurant
8) you remember when Nowell's was in Cameron Village and the wonderful smell that store had to it
9)you remember when Pizza Hut ruled the pizza world here
10) you remember Moonlight Madness sales at N Hills mall
11) WQDR when it was "album oriented rock" station
12) Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity's "Lawn Party"
13) the Ambassador Theatre on Fayetteville street , the first time it was a street
14)getting out of school at noon the first tuesday of the State Fair's run to go to the fair with your parents
15) when the Char-Grill only had one burger joint
16) Ballentine's cafeteria
17 when Santa Claus landed in a helicopter in the Sears parking lot, when Sears was located in Cameron Village!!
18) when NC State was an actual "rival" of UNC.....Duke and UNC are "rivals", it's not a rivalry when you only win one out of every ten basketball games....however, the Wolfpack holds it's own in football against all the N.C. snob schools....
2) Y-the reigning sporting goods store
3) Boy Scout stuff & great solid ties, with a solitary gryphon down near the bottom, didn't they have a chess knight as an emblem, in the window and on their paper bags?
5) Darryl's Circus Room
7) Zack's worked there, right across from bell tower
8) with EO Edgerton shoes
+9,10,15,16 & 18 eg David Thompson, Tommy-the aspirin-theif-Burleson, 1974 & 82(?) aka Valvano NCAA champs, Chris-the-moeron (sic)-Washburn with an IQ of 80. Could Washburn actually sign his name? Or did he just "make his mark"? Jimmy V and his NC State scholars.
Remember when State had some hatchet man (who's name escapes me) and he was just hacking the heck out of the Heels? The Dean sent in Charles Waddell, also a tight end on the football team.
So much for State's hatchet man, and any futher hacking of the Heels.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Are you talking about Charles Chips, that they used to deliver? Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.

I do remember Pine State and Long Meadow milk delivery.
Charles Chips had great Christmas cookies too.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you remember the old Lassiter's Mill bridge:
Walked across it many times--even after they closed it off at both ends.
(Grew up a little way up the hill).

Old friend used to fish down there in the summer. He often brought home one or two shad.

They had a tiny "beach" on the same side as the store.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I must have jumped off the top of that bridge hundreds of times. The Lassiter store stood just to the left of the photo. They had the coldest drinks in town
--Hope you got your typhoid shots first.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipitidude View Post
Did anyone go to the Four Seasons concert at Reynolds on 4-4-68? They didn't make any announcement about Dr. King's assassination during the show. I remember leaving the building and seeing fires all along the horizon. I had to drop my girlfriend at her house in Garner and ride thru town in my VW bug to home near Bobby Murray Chev. It was the scariest thing I ever went through. How about the Rolling Stones concert in '65? My mom had to drive me there because I had no drivers license then. Attendance was about 3,500. Tickets were $ 3.25 as I remember. We saw the Beach Boys at Dorton. Friends saw the Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin show there, sorry I missed that one.
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dorton Arena in 75. Sanford Townsend Band (Smoke from a Distant Fire) in some converted movie theatre in fall 77. Dog Clark & the Hot Nuts @ Zack's, fall 77.

Were those fires reported on the news? I think I was in 8th grade. But, I don't remember them.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My wife went to that Stones concert. I went to Jimi Hendrix concert at Dorton Area in the spring of '69.

Anybody go to the Love Valley Music Festival in July of '70? A newly formed Allman Bros band performed on Friday night and Sunday afternoon. Big Brother and the Holding Co. was there....less/Janis.

"August Jam" @ Charlotte Motor Speedway, August 74. Allman Bros, ELP, Black Oak, Ozark Mtn Daredevils, sure there were more.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
My boyfriend in the 80's drove a school bus when he was a junior and senior at Sanderson!
Good friend drove a schoool bus 71-73, when he was a jr & sr @ Sanderson, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary