Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM

45 posts, read 118,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Artist View Post
Yeah, well... here's one for ya:

Anyone remember the old pigeon man who sold peanuts down in front of the old Capitol building and Fayetteville Street... when it was still Fayetteville Street, and not the pedestrian mall.

May he rest in peace; I know he's got to be long gone by now. They actually printed a photo of the Pigeon Man in Life magazine once... on the last page, where they always published a parting shot for the issue...
On Sunday's we used to go 'downtown' to the Capitol and buy peanut to feed the pigeons. I was a little girl then...long, long ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM

45 posts, read 118,162 times
Ernest T. Bass
1. Cardinal Theater
2.?
3.Saunders Ford
4.Devereaux Meadows
5. The Farmer's Market used to be at Moore Square, the large one at corner of Capital and Hogdes.
6.Swain's Steakhouse is now a nightclub on New Bern Ave. next to Walgreen's at the bridge.
7.Mr. Peanut!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM

65 posts, read 112,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsutton View Post
Does anyone remember the name of that pizza place that was directly across the street from that "old" K-mart on Six Forks Rd and Wake Forest Rd. in the 1970's? I think it was the first place I ever had a pizza.
I think that was Peppi's Pizza.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM

65 posts, read 112,912 times
Not sure about the spelling. Peppie's It was near the Constan Car Wash.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
When Crabtree Valley Mall was a swamp. Oh wait.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Artist View Post
Yeah, well... here's one for ya:

Anyone remember the old pigeon man who sold peanuts down in front of the old Capitol building and Fayetteville Street... when it was still Fayetteville Street, and not the pedestrian mall.

May he rest in peace; I know he's got to be long gone by now. They actually printed a photo of the Pigeon Man in Life magazine once... on the last page, where they always published a parting shot for the issue...
In a similar thought, does anyone remember the old man (I totally forgot his name, but remember him vividly) who sold oysters at happy hour at 42nd Street Oyster Bar for $0.25?) They still do the special, but now they are 50-cents each (still a great deal), but he was so much a part of the experience. His dozens regularly included 13-14 oysters, as many as 15-16 if they were smaller.

I think his name was Sam. I used to go there often for a few dozen, along with a couple pints. YUM!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,899,966 times
Questions for longtime Raleigh natives...

Does anyone recall a breakfast diner downtown that had decent food and it was really inexpensive? Not the breakfast place inside of the hotel near Sir Walter Apts., however.

Also, does anyone recall a Chinese restaurant downtown that had decent food and it was also really inexpensive?

Both seem to be gone now... or maybe I'm delusional and thinking of somewhere else...

(food on the brain right now!)

Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
There was a diner at the corner of Martin and McDowell. It was moved from downtown to highway 50 south of Garner in the early 70's to make room for a parking deck. The new Wake County Justice Center now sits on that corner.

The chinese restaurant you remember was The Canton. The Canton was on Hillsborough St. a few doors west of The Second Empire and the old Round Holiday Inn...same side. It finally closed sometime in the mid 80's. I miss it dearly.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
There was a diner at the corner of Martin and McDowell. It was moved from downtown to highway 50 south of Garner in the early 70's to make room for a parking deck. The new Wake County Justice Center now sits on that corner.

The chinese restaurant you remember was The Canton. The Canton was on Hillsborough St. a few doors west of The Second Empire and the old Round Holiday Inn...same side. It finally closed sometime in the mid 80's. I miss it dearly.
Yeah, I miss The Canton as well. I used to go there when I was at State in the early 80s.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,164,862 times
I remember when Dunderkirk's (Crabtree Mall....best Reuben) and Fat Daddy's were the only places in Raleigh to buy decent import or micro-brew beers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary